Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensors draining battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016 | 09:12 PM
Teching In

Default O2 sensors draining battery?

I have something draining my battery when I don't drive my jeep for a couple of days. I found a slot in my fuse holder that reads 3.2 ohms to ground. I traced it to my pink wire that feeds O2 sensor voltage. I unplugged both sensors and Continuity is lost. So the wire feeding sensors is good. My question is, is this normal? Did I mix up something in my 5.3 swap? These are the 4 wire flat black sensors.
Old 05-23-2016 | 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Don't know if it sounds right, but checking for a drain by checking resistance isn't going to find you anything but continuity.

Set your meter to millivolt (MV) and disconnect the positive cable between the vehicle and battery. Check the battery to cable for how many MV is present. Then one by one start pulling fuses until you see .01 or less. Then you should find your parasitic drain.
Old 05-23-2016 | 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your pink wires should only be hot when the ignition is on so they shouldn't be draining the battery unless you wired them to constant hot.
Old 05-24-2016 | 02:38 PM
Teching In

By the sounds of it you have your pink wire connected directly to your hot fuse, and the o2 sensor heaters are on full time
Old 05-24-2016 | 07:38 PM
TECH Regular
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by N20zuki
Don't know if it sounds right, but checking for a drain by checking resistance isn't going to find you anything but continuity.

Set your meter to millivolt (MV) and disconnect the positive cable between the vehicle and battery. Check the battery to cable for how many MV is present. Then one by one start pulling fuses until you see .01 or less. Then you should find your parasitic drain.
You want to check the amperage draw. Not voltage. Put the meter on the dc amps setting and put the red lead in the 10a slot. Then pull the fuses one at a time to see what the draw is. Although it doesn't sound like your o2 sensors are wired correctly.

Quick Reply: O2 sensors draining battery?