Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1/L83 into something eventually

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1/L83 into something eventually

Thought I would start a build thread just to share what I can. I make no bones about it, I'm not quite sure how this project will end. Right now it's all about the drivetrain but it will probably end up in this

Old 05-31-2016, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Seems like the biggest obstacle with the lt1 is what to do about a power steering pump. ICT Billet has a reasonably priced set of brackets that allow mounting a 97 up Vette ps pump. It keeps the air conditioner compressor in the stock location. This may or may not be a problem. Concern is will it clear the subframe crossmember.

Last edited by bamabob; 05-31-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:25 PM
Teching In

im sorry for this stupid question but i need to know why my thread didnt get posted ?
i just Registered in this site
Old 05-31-2016, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

The other issue that gets a lot of discussion is what to do for vacuum for the brakes when the belt driven pump is removed. This is a new GM unit bought of eBay for less than $100. I'm not sure about how to control it yet. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

I'm attempting modifying the harness myself. The bad thing is there is currently limited information available but I think I can get it done. Right now it looks a little scary.

Last edited by bamabob; 05-31-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Subscribed!! Will be starting my thread soon as well!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:47 PM
Teching In

subscribed also! picked up a L83 im putting in a 63 impala this winter.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

Default Brake Vacuum Pump switch

This is how I will control the vacuum pump. It is a N/C switch to ground that will be wire to turn on the vacuum pump when IGN is in run position.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by json
subscribed also! picked up a L83 im putting in a 63 impala this winter.

Thanks for subscribing json and gthmcty1.
Looks like we are part of the first wave of using this engine in a swap unless I have missed another source of info. If you guys have come across another site that has some useful stuff please let me know. feel free to question me on anything as I am trying to figure this out as I go
Old 06-10-2016, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Default Motor Mounts

I'm using ICT Billet for my mounts. They will not clear the a/c compressor in the mounted in the stock location. The blue line drawn on the mount shows where I will have to trim it. I probably won't matter since I will most likely mount the engine a little further forward to give more clearance for the transmission. I won't know on all this until I do a test fit. The drivers side will not clear the stock vac pump but ICT does say that.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Default Oil Cooler Delete

I also picked up the ICT oil cooler delete plate. I don't think I will need the cooler in a car that is 2000 pounds lighter and that will not be towing anything. And it's one less thing to have to fit in.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Default Purge Solenoid Delete Plug

And while I was shopping at ICT Billet I added this to my shopping cart. An easy way to get rid of some clutter that won't be used. And no, I do not have any relationship with ICTB. They have just done a good job of addressing these primary issues.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Smile Programmer

And while I was working towards maxing out my credit card, I picked this up. Plan is to first just clean up the changes that will throw codes or keep the engine from running. After that I will introduce myself to "tweaking" the ECM. I did go ahead and splurge by paying an extra $150 for the "Pro" unit. Figured I would only need the extra features if I don't have them.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do these engines not make enough vacuum for the booster without some external pump? Or is there just no where to connect the hose for the booster, so that's the reason?
Old 06-10-2016, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jones'n
Do these engines not make enough vacuum for the booster without some external pump? Or is there just no where to connect the hose for the booster, so that's the reason?
Word is that they do not. I have not tested to see but I figured GM would not go through the trouble and expense of the external pump if the vacuum needed for brakes was made by the engine.

One of the guys on here that is working on a similar swap said he wad going to try installing a fitting on the purge delete plug to see if he could get enough vacuum for the brakes.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bamabob
Word is that they do not. I have not tested to see but I figured GM would not go through the trouble and expense of the external pump if the vacuum needed for brakes was made by the engine.

One of the guys on here that is working on a similar swap said he wad going to try installing a fitting on the purge delete plug to see if he could get enough vacuum for the brakes.
ICT Billet came out with a cover that is already tapped for a fitting I think?
Old 06-10-2016, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Bamabab,
Thanks for sharing. I am sure you will be helping ALOT of people looking to do the same swap. Is there any chance you can get some side shots showing the oilpan? Probably would be worth the time to put a tape measure or ruler showing actual dimensions if you don't mind. I am sure someone will be asking.

You have a PM
Old 06-10-2016, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Bamabab,
Thanks for sharing. I am sure you will be helping ALOT of people looking to do the same swap. Is there any chance you can get some side shots showing the oilpan? Probably would be worth the time to put a tape measure or ruler showing actual dimensions if you don't mind. I am sure someone will be asking.

You have a PM

Old 06-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Default varaible displacement a/c compressor

I have searched with no luck for a definitive answer as to how to convert the a/c compressor to fixed maximum capacity. The closest idea I have come up with is to remove the middle two O-rings on the control valve. The pictured valve has arrows pointing to the middle two O-rings that I think are supposed to be removed. does anyone know if this is right? My plan is to just put in a trinary switched to cycle the compressor and fan.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Teching In

I haven't made it to this step yet in my project. You've probably already found these online, but these are some of the links I've saved relating to Fixed vs Variable AC Compressors:

http://www.aircondition.com/tech/get...9WYWx2ZXMucGRm

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/V...nt-Compressors

http://hubpages.com/autos/vdcadjustorconvert

Quick Reply: LT1/L83 into something eventually