Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the best LS swap mounts, 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the best LS swap mounts, 3rd gen

I'm getting ready to do a LS2 swap into my 88 camaro and was wondering, of those of you who have done this swap, what motor mounts do you think are the best all around and why.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Irocz12et
I'm getting ready to do a LS2 swap into my 88 camaro and was wondering, of those of you who have done this swap, what motor mounts do you think are the best all around and why.
What engine oil pan and transmission are you planning to use? Are you keeping/using the factory A/C evaporator case?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Well from what hear the 4th gen oil pan seems to be the best option, so most likely stick with that. I'm thinking I will keep the A/C system. Trans is a 4l70 from a Tbss.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Well from what hear the 4th gen oil pan seems to be the best option, so most likely stick with that. I'm thinking I will keep the A/C system. Trans is a 4l70 from a Tbss.
That info helps you narrow your choices...using the F-body pan will force you to keep the bellhousing mating plane in the stock SB location, which will create interference with the stock A/C evaporator case. Some mounts are listed to fit 3rd-gens as well as G-body and A-body cars...don't believe it, the passenger side mount on a 3rd-gen application needs to have a slightly higher stand-off height than the driver side mount ( just like the stock SB clamshell engine brackets were) to provide proper engine alignment and a level engine in the engine bay.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Spohn SP-971 and stock clams 22179268 with poly inserts (summit racing 7-512BL)

Easy, simple and straight forward.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Very good information. With that being said, whose mount would you recommend with that setup. Question 2, is there a better oil pan choice? I've heard talks of ctsv pan but they seem harder to locate. Also wondering if the adjustable mounts i.e. dirty dingo are worth it.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Mille, when you say stock clamshell, do you mean the original for the 3rd gen or the 4th gen. Many companies don't seem to specify whaT to use with their brackets.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Very good information. With that being said, whose mount would you recommend with that setup. Question 2, is there a better oil pan choice? I've heard talks of ctsv pan but they seem harder to locate. Also wondering if the adjustable mounts i.e. dirty dingo are worth it.
As far as 3rd-gen specific mounting brackets are concerned, the ones from Hooker are the only ones I'm aware of that replicate the taller height of the passenger side bracket that is designed into the stock SB engine brackets. You can get around that issue by using universal swap plates with the stock engine brackets, but that will come with a penalty of forcing your engine up higher in the subframe, which will have a negative effect on your U-joint operating angles and vehicle center of gravity. The Hooker brackets negate that effect as well and place the LS crankshaft centerline axis in the same location as the original SB crank was. The Hooker brackets were also designed as part of a complete swap system, so you can finish out your swap in a bolt-in fashion with a transmission crossmember, long tube headers and a full dual path exhaust system if you so choose. The complete Hooker system of parts was designed around the geometry of the Holley 302-2 oil pan. If you want to see what you can end up with as a finished package, send me a PM and I'll direct you to a build thread on a 3rd-gen specific forum that shows all the parts recently installed on a user's car.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Everything looks awesome, by far the nicest, cleanest setup I've seen. I do have a question regarding the transmission crossmember though. I already have a 4th gen tailshaft housing to accommodate the TA in its stock location, Is there another crossmember I can use or will exhaust clearance be an issue. If not, what do I do with the mount that sticks up on the hooker Crossmember. Oh, also the exhaust, do i have to use the complete catback system with the hooker headers or can something be fabbed up in the mean time due to budget.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Everything looks awesome, by far the nicest, cleanest setup I've seen. I do have a question regarding the transmission crossmember though. I already have a 4th gen tailshaft housing to accommodate the TA in its stock location, Is there another crossmember I can use or will exhaust clearance be an issue. If not, what do I do with the mount that sticks up on the hooker Crossmember. Oh, also the exhaust, do i have to use the complete catback system with the hooker headers or can something be fabbed up in the mean time due to budget.
The torque arm mount on the Hooker crossmember will not prevent you from attaching your torque arm to the extension housing of your transmission(you can even cut it off if you want to), but most people prefer to divorce the torque arm from the transmission for a more solid anchor and to eliminate the possibility of breaking the extension housing of the transmission during aggressive driving. The mount on the crossmember also provides adjustability, where a transmission extension housing mount does not.

The crossmember is an integral part of the swap system and provides the required exhaust passage clearance to fit the Hooker exhaust system, which no other crossmember available can provide.

A competent fabricator can modify any exhaust system to make it connectable to the collectors of the Hooker long-tube headers.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

I used Spohn motor mounts and a custom made cross member that the torque arm mounts to (not the trans). I use my a stock 3rd or 4th gen length driveshaft. I believe the Holley parts will allow a stock driveshaft, but you should check.
Also used th fbody pan but had to cut my K member to fit. If I did it again I would use the Holley 302-2 pan so you don't have to cut the K member. Price is about the same on the pans.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:23 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mille_3
I used Spohn SP-971 and stock clams 22179268 with poly inserts (summit racing 7-512BL)

Easy, simple and straight forward.
Do these have a higher passenger side standoff like toddoky mentions?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Toddoky says that the hooker mounts have the higher PS standoff and maintain the original crankshaft centerline in the car. Not sure about other companies. The hooker kit looks the best IMO, my only issue is that the trans crossmember is a bit pricey @ $300, plus I would need another adapter bracket for the 4l70. Another $40. Also the holley pan is up there in price @$360 compared to the ls1 fbody pan around $200, but may be worth it in the long run due to clearance issues with the subframe.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Thats a great thread on your build 6Speed. Do you know if a can use the stock mounts from my third gen or do I need 4th gen mounts, look similar in pics but have not compared them in person.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Iroc12et.. if you mean the motor mounts that bolt to the block, the 3rd and 4th gen ones are different. I used 4th gen fbody mounts to my LQ4. The bolt hole pattern is different at the block. A good place to compare is on rockauto.com as they have the actual part photos.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just started this swap myself and the only difference so far is I plan on using my 700r4 instead of the 4l60e. I bought the Spohn set up but my old motor is still in the car so I haven't even thought of fitment yet
Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

I used the Hooker kit and notched my k member to fit the camaro oil pan. If you can weld, it would save you a few hundred.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:49 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
Originally Posted by mille_3
I used Spohn SP-971
Do these have a higher passenger side standoff like toddoky mentions?
anyone?

Quick Reply: What are the best LS swap mounts, 3rd gen