Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 suburban ls engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 suburban ls engine swap

I am wanting to swap my tired old engine for an ls motor out of a Tahoe or Suburban. So my question is can anyone give me a detailed list and price on this swap including tranny and if i have to swap the tranfer case and making the gauges work as well. I am new at this and need the help please
Old 06-19-2016, 03:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have to ask,chances are you can't afford it...
Old 06-19-2016, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

I think a better answer is that by you starting to do some homework you'll have a much better understanding of what's involved. I'm pretty sure that you can keep your trans and transfer case. From my understanding this is a fairly simple swap as you already have a in tank fuel pump etc.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Teching In

You can retain your factory transmission and transfer case. The wiring isnt for someone thats not used to reading wiring schematics. It took me 3 days of wiring to make sure every worked as factory. I even hooked up the evap purge system. Unfortunately I didn't write down exactly what wires needed to be wired.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tfi racing
First off I got on here to ask for help if you come on to my post to be a ******* as whole then **** you and the peice of **** horse you rode in on. Now down to business if your not here to help don't comment period.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Default help

I am trying to do research and that is why I am asking people who have done this swap before for help and secrets and issues they have run across and how much they spent to do the whole swap and how much time time it took cuz this is my daily so I want to make sure I have all of the parts and stuff I will need before I tear it apart. So I am asking for help on a list of all the parts needed to do the swap right so I can start looking for parts and prices.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfi racing
That's a snotty reply and not at all true. I just went and got a certified xjl ss, and I certainly asked the price.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bluegrandbetsy
I am wanting to swap my tired old engine for an ls motor out of a Tahoe or Suburban. So my question is can anyone give me a detailed list and price on this swap including tranny and if i have to swap the tranfer case and making the gauges work as well. I am new at this and need the help please
2k, depending on your level of wrenching and involvement. Give or take a few hundred.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

It all depends on how you do the swap. If you can shop at insurance auctions, you can pick up a running/driving 05-ish truck with decent miles for ~$1500.

From there, it will more or less bolt in and you should be able to use most of the wiring by repinning the harnesses.

Then, you can part out the donor truck on craigslist. Should be very little $$ except whatever swap parts you buy. Biggest cost might be a PCM tune and exhaust work LOL.

You can also buy an LS3 crate motor, crate 4L80E, new transfer case, and spend $10k+. There's more than one way to skin a cat
Old 01-03-2020, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Default Tonheib350

IT'S SO WRONG HOW THESE DAYS A NEWBIE OR SOMEONE JUST WANTING TO LEARN HOW TO DO AN LS SWAP CAN'T JUST GET STRAIGHT ANSWERS BUT INSTEAD RASH ANSWERS FROM SOME KNUCKLEHEAD WITH A SMART MOUTH THAT REALLY CAN'T HELP HIMSELF..THIS IS 2020 PEOPLE LET'S FINALLY GROW UP AND HELP ONE ANOTHER OUT.
The following users liked this post:
transam5.7lt1 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out the facebook group LS Swapped 88-98 OBS trucks/SUV. There are some pinned posts and a lot more info retaining to that particular swap and vehicle.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonhei B. Benson
IT'S SO WRONG HOW THESE DAYS A NEWBIE OR SOMEONE JUST WANTING TO LEARN HOW TO DO AN LS SWAP CAN'T JUST GET STRAIGHT ANSWERS BUT INSTEAD RASH ANSWERS FROM SOME KNUCKLEHEAD WITH A SMART MOUTH THAT REALLY CAN'T HELP HIMSELF..THIS IS 2020 PEOPLE LET'S FINALLY GROW UP AND HELP ONE ANOTHER OUT.

Chill it, Francis. Where is your detailed list of helpful hints and instructions?
The following 2 users liked this post by tfi racing:
B52bombardier1 (01-04-2020), G Atsma (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 146 Posts

There's also a ton of posts around here that can be learned from BEFORE asking to be given the keys to the Suburban Engine Swap Idea Kingdom in your very first post. People want things way too easy. Read a general purpose LS swap book or two and then ask more nuanced questions.

Rick
Old 01-05-2020, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by bluegrandbetsy
So my question is can anyone give me a detailed list and price on this swap including tranny. I am new at this and need the help please

I can't give you a "detailed list". But, I've done quite a few swaps, I probably spend twice as much time on research on the projects than actually building. After some research, as mentioned above, you'll have a better idea of what to ask more specifically.

(And when you finally calculate a budget, crunch your final number...and double it...)

Old 01-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Launching!

I'm pretty sure that if you need to drive your truck to work on Monday, you ought not start your LS Swap the Friday evening before...

-KP
Old 01-12-2020, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
There's also a ton of posts around here that can be learned from BEFORE asking to be given the keys to the Suburban Engine Swap Idea Kingdom in your very first post. People want things way too easy. Read a general purpose LS swap book or two and then ask more nuanced questions.

Rick
this is one of my biggest pet peeves on most car sites/forums. It's what our culture has devolved into, and it's the same in real life as it is in the internet. No one wants to put in "the time/effort" to help themselves anymore. They simply want it all handed to them from those who did put in the effort to learn. They show up, get what they want, and disappear. Never join in any discussions, never offer to help others, never contribute, rarely come back to let others know what the solution to their actual problem wound up being. Just get what they want, and vanish. And the only time you hear from them again is when the next problem pops up. That being said, I try to help as much as I can (including helping myself by doing the research/reading/being involved in general technical discussions) when someone WANTS to learn. The problem is: too many don't want to learn, they just want their problems solved for them. There's very little that hasn't been done, so for anyone doing anything, the answers are out there, ya just have to put in the time and research. Asking someone else (who HAS done it) to make you a list and a price breakdown is NOT putting in the effort. It's getting what you want, handed to you by others.

Quick Reply: 1999 suburban ls engine swap