Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project kick-the-CAN 2005 bmw E60 545i 5.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020 | 11:52 AM
Teching In

Default Fuel pump

Having trouble getting fuel pump to kick on...all other things are powered up...engine turns...have spark.... no fuel
when you did your swap did you remove all bmw ecu boxes from the firewall and only run the GM ecu? Thinking this might be my problem? I have bmw ecu and gm ecu powered up together
Old 08-20-2020 | 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Which ECU is now controlling the fuel pump? If the BMW, it might not be getting the signal to tell it to turn on the pump.
Old 08-20-2020 | 12:45 PM
Teching In

Yes bmw is controlling the fuel pump...did you wire yours directly to gm ecu.. if so how did you do it?
Old 08-20-2020 | 06:03 PM
On The Tree

I gave full control over the fuel relay to the GM ecu. If the BMW ECM senses any issues, it won't let the car start, so I didn't let it control anything as I wanted the car to get me from point A to point B reliably. . Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (12-26-2021)
Old 08-20-2020 | 06:23 PM
Teching In

Found out that BMW runs their relays with full positive and the bme triggers the negative ground to turn it on ....unlike what we are used to... we run grounds and trigger the relay with a positive to turn it on.... won't be able to get back to the barn to work on it til next week but you have helped me see how I will need to set up the 2 trigger wires fully on the gm when I get there....vroom vroom very soon ...thanks
Old 09-21-2020 | 11:10 AM

Hey! I am LS1 swapping an e60 myself and this thread is incredibly helpful. I’d love to talk to you more if you’re willing to help me out! My email is Alderman.renee@gmail.com thank you!!!
Old 09-26-2020 | 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Email sent. Let me know what I can help you with. I won't know a lot about how to tap into the BMW computer, but I know how to take control of the car and put a little "Merica" in it.
Old 09-26-2020 | 01:28 PM
On The Tree

I want to see your E60 builds. Anyone who is doing one, please post a link in here. Or just take over this thread and start posting in it .
Old 10-02-2020 | 10:47 AM
Teching In

Just had my first start on my swap.. e60 with 6.0l...buttoning up things now... anyone know how to get the bmw tach working with gm ecu? Email me jfife83@gmail.com
Old 10-11-2020 | 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for posting up some progress on your build. Please keep it coming. I love seeing how others have tackled the concept of ls swapping the E60. I tried several different ways to get the GM computer to talk to the BMW tach and speedo. It just doesn't do it without a helper device like an arduino board. I went with a Dakota Digital gauge cluster. They have some units out now that are even nicer than the ones that I went with.
Old 10-14-2020 | 03:24 PM
Teching In

Default Radiator fan

Hey loopy
how did you get your bmw radiator fan to kick on? oh...my speedo works just fine...
Old 10-14-2020 | 05:43 PM
On The Tree

That's awesome that your speedo works. Mine did not. I replaced the bmw fan with a Derale twin fan. It was a beast. I used a pulse width modulator unit to control my fan, but it would have been just as easy to let the GM computer control the fan. It's just a matter of hooking up a relay and letting the computer send voltage when it gets to the desired temp.
The following users liked this post:
jerry fife (10-16-2020)
Old 12-21-2020 | 08:14 AM

I would like to swap my e60. I live in illinos and we have to pass obd2 emission test every 2 years. It bothers me if i will pass this test with different engine. How do you guys deal with it?
Old 01-02-2022 | 08:05 PM

Default Can you help me with some mounts?

Originally Posted by loopy127
Well, I figured it was about time to post a thread to keep me motivated because there's too high a chance that this project will stall out when I start teaching again in the fall. I have a 2005 BMW that is about to have a perfectly good 4.4 liter engine and trans pulled out in favor of a basic 5.3 truck engine. Why? One of this car's 11 on-board computers is refusing to wake up and do what it's supposed to, which is causing all of the other computers to do nothing. So in order to drive my car without being a slave to the dealership, I'm taking control away from all of the on-board computers and putting it back into my hands. Provided that the project succeeds, I'll be adding options like; "starts when you turn the key" and "won't go into limp mode when it wants new spark plugs".

The Car:

Engine in:

Engine out:

That's where I'm at. Tomorrow I'll start pulling the 5.3 out of the truck and start taking measurements. To start with this is going to be an extreme budget build. Down and Dirty. When I get the car up and running then I'll start upgrading. I'm going to need lots of advice as I think I have jumped in way over my head. My only other engine swap was an S10 with a small block V8. This is going to be interesting to say the least. Let's see if it's possible to free this thing from the dreaded BMW CAN.

Can you help me with some mounts? I'm currently working on a ls swap would love some tips and measurements
Old 01-06-2022 | 03:43 AM

Default Can I have the measurements for the mounts

Originally Posted by loopy127
I got a chance to put the passenger side mount together. I tried the advice that I was given on turning the wire feed down and also beveled the edges to bring the gauge of the metal down enough so that my welder could penetrate better. Here are the results. First off, it's hard to see, but the frame mount is on a weird forward angle, so my mounts have to be angled to match it.

Here you can see the beveled edges of my pieces during the mock-up process.

Here are how the welds turned out. I'm no welding guru, but these look much better than the driver's side.

still as spattery as ever. But I guess that's what I get for flux welding.

The only bummer is that while this is nowhere near perfect, it makes my driver's side mount look bad enough that I want to redo it.
Can I have the measurements for the mounts
Old 03-21-2024 | 10:26 AM

Default Fuel pressure issue

My swap is complete.... having fuel pressure issues... new Bosch oe fuel pump and sending unit in both sides of tank... fuel pressure is only getting to 45psi key on and 43psi with engine running.... need to be 50-60psi for ls engine to be happy

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-22-2024 | 01:20 PM

@Jfife83 - Please start a new thread and tell us exactly what you have in the way of donor car, etc. We can then try to help you on your own thread. Once you start it, I will delete your post (and mine) here.
In the mean time 43psi is 3Bar, a very common pressure used in many, if not most, Euro cars. While I suspect Bosch pumps will go higher, the pressure regulator could be built into the pump, into the filter or be external. Or just go with a Walbro pump and external pressure regulator.

Quick Reply: Project kick-the-CAN 2005 bmw E60 545i 5.3 swap