Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 5th Gen Fuel Pump Assembly in stock 1968 Camaro Tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 573 Likes on 355 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Just thought I would post an update for this modification. Along with moving the car back and forth here and there under it's own power, I recently took the car on it's first drive and put about 15 miles on it. The fuel pump worked flawlessly and had no issues with fuel pressure. I'm going to be installing a new fuel rail soon that has a fuel gauge mounted inline so I can verify full pressure, but I have no doubts about it providing the full pressure. Fuel pump is loud enough that I can hear it running while the car is not running, but I have no interior at the moment, so I'm sure once the seats and package tray is installed I won't even hear it. Once the car is running I can't hear it over the exhaust.

Hoping to finish up the car over the winter and put some serious miles on it in the spring. Until then, very pleased with the modification.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,490 Likes on 930 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Doing a little investigative work on rockauto and it seems that many Chevrolet passenger cars used the same fuel module mounting arrangement. Both the Impala and the Malibu seem like good options to source the mounting ring from. Those should be plentiful in the wrecking yards. I am not saying this is gospel, so do your own research...

Andrew
Old 10-09-2018, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks for the tip Andrew! Next time at a pick a part yard I'll try and grab one.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Thanks for the tip Andrew! Next time at a pick a part yard I'll try and grab one.
At the very least have a look at them and see if they are the same and if they are suitable for use in older tanks.

Andrew
Old 10-29-2018, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The mounting ring assembly and basic hat dimensions all fall under a common USCAR size. In other words, the primary hat dimension, o-ring sealing, cam ring, etc. are commonized. A new 5.0 Mustang fuel pump hat will fit into the same ring as a Gen5 Camaro pump. So, there's basically the "small" version used in the Corvette, and the larger 112.5mm x 6mm o-ring size used in most all other applications.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone running this setup without the PWM setup? I bought a Ricks tank and ZL1 pump for my chevelle, and am almost finished with the build. Just wondering if the PWM is really worth the $500.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yes that's what I did when I modified the fuel pump assembly. It's been modified with the kit from Vaporworx to allow the fuel pump assembly to run constant vs PWM. I think all in it was around $125 to modify the stock 5th gen pump.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm also running the Vaporworx kit (essentially a 4th-gen regulator with an insert to drop it into the 5th gen pump) in lieu of PWM. It works flawlessly.

To answer LS1 pwrd NOVA, yes I have the same setup as ryeguy. Same 5th gen pump, albeit with a ring out of an HHR. I have some pics in my build thread, but honestly this is a better resource. You will need to make a recess panel if using the stock tank. If it had been available when I did the swap, I'd have gone with a Rick's restomod tank - it has clipped corners and is already setup for the 5th-gen pump.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

I've got several hundred miles on this swap so far this spring without any issues. It really is a great alternative to some of the high priced aftermarket options.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I need to consider this. My Tanks, Inc tank was fine when I wasn't going around corners. However, now that I have some handling tires on the Cougar, I have noticed fuel starvation at anything less than half tank.

Andrew
Old 06-10-2019, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

https://www.vaporworx.com/product-ca...chanical-kits/

Order there or through Carl directly.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am confused why you would spend all this time and effort.

The aem 380 frame rail mount pump can draw fuel out of the stock tank with no mods and return through the vent or a fitting in the filler neck.

No sump, special rings, cutouts, etc needed. I just tuned a 72 Chevelle with one with a stroked ls2 and you cannot hear it with the engine running.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by callys

The aem 380 frame rail mount pump can draw fuel out of the stock tank with no mods and return through the vent or a fitting in the filler neck.

No sump, special rings, cutouts, etc needed. I just tuned a 72 Chevelle with one with a stroked ls2 and you cannot hear it with the engine running.
What happens to this Chevelle when there is only 1/4 tank and you go into a long sweeping turn, like a highway on/off ramp?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by callys

I think that everyone has variations of what is "right". For me personally, I wanted a reliable and effective OEM option to control the fuel delivery. Though my stock pump has been modified to run at a constant fuel pressure rather than being controlled by PWM, I have no doubt it has impacted the reliability of the pump. The reason that I modified my stock tank to accept the fuel ring is that I wasn't in a position to buy a $400+ tank and that I enjoy building things. My tank is essentially a DIY version of the Rick's tank that is available, but without the notched sides.

Personally, I question the solution that you have proposed and have the same question as Andrew. Without the proper fuel baffling, what's causing the fuel to stay where you want it in low fuel or long sweeping corner scenarios? Just because it can draw the fuel doesn't mean it's optimal. With the 5th gen pump, it returns the fuel into the integral fuel "bucket" so that the fuel pump is always surrounded by fuel and will not go dry. I've run the tank on less than 1 gallon with heavy acceleration to test the pump and it performed without even a stutter. I'm not claiming that this is the best solution, but it has worked for me and several other's on the site quite well.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I need to consider this. My Tanks, Inc tank was fine when I wasn't going around corners. However, now that I have some handling tires on the Cougar, I have noticed fuel starvation at anything less than half tank.
That sucks! There are definitely better setups available than what Tanks Inc currently offers. I've had pretty good results with the Tanks PA-4 hanger setup in my stock Nova tank. Around town I've had it within a couple gallons of empty without issue, but I have always kept it more filled when doing autocross just knowing it's not the absolute best setup for that. My last autocross event I was pulling 1.1g at 1/4 tank and didn't seem to have any problems. I'd love to have a camera inside the tank to see what all is going on - it must be sloshing around like crazy in there!

Clearly the newer pump setups are a superior option, especially at low tank levels. But there are also folks who have good luck with external pumps as well. I think the external pumps might work well with a full return system since air has an opportunity to return back to the tank while with a returnless setup once the air is ingested past the regulator it has no choice but to be delivered through the injectors. Either option can work depending on how you use the car.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Quick Reply: DIY 5th Gen Fuel Pump Assembly in stock 1968 Camaro Tank