1988 Lotus Esprit LS1 Swap Intro - Page 2 - LS1TECH

Conversions & Hybrids LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 Lotus Esprit LS1 Swap Intro

Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #21
TECH Enthusiast

Very cool swap, kind a like an older hennesy venom, the purists will be even more butt hurt when your car outperforms theirs! Lol, can't wait!
Gets my unwavering approval
slocaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #22
Teching In

Been a while- have been waiting on parts but i finally got my adapter plate and flywheel. I so now that i have the motor and transaxle in their exact location, i can start with some other systems... Coooling, Fueling and Electrical.
Electrical - the harness is built- just need to go get it
Fueling- got a set of replacement tanks and they are being dipped and shined.
that leaves cooling- here is what i am thinking on my flow and routing. I've done some research on the LS system but with the distance to the front- i have to figure out a slightly different way. I will be using all -20AN line and fittings and an upgraded radiator. I know some of you wont know where the tanks would mount but ill try and find some pics for reference.. but the pressure tank lives just next to the engine in the rear/middle of the car and the overflow in the farthest back bumper..
The steam tube i am told- can be routed back into the system and i am still unclear if my pressure tank scenario will work without going to the radiator? it sits at an angle in the front- so not sure it will have the high point.

Please critic - i'm not terribly familiar with the LS's so i can guessing but i like to have a plan before buying parts!

More pics!

9mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #23
On The Tree

Sounds a good bit like how the Porsche swap guys are doing their cooling systems, check out their builds as there are a few here.
BLKMGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #24
On The Tree

I'm in no way an expert on how to set up the various tanks and routing. I do know that the heater core outlet/inlet need to have flow through them, i.e. loop it, don't cap it.

Other than that, looks great, love those Esprits.
Red89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:20 AM   #25
10 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red89GTA View Post
I'm in no way an expert on how to set up the various tanks and routing. I do know that the heater core outlet/inlet need to have flow through them, i.e. loop it, don't cap it.

No, you can cap the heater outlet and inlet without any harm. Pull the tunes, tap the ports and install pipe plugs.
1970camaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:52 AM   #26
Teching In

Quote:

i did see that- I will loop them- especially if I tap the steam pipe off of one.

Thanks! And I will check the 911 guys posts on this too.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #27
Launching!

why not use the at least a majority of the stock hard lines to run front to rear?
Krom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:03 AM   #28
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krom View Post
why not use the at least a majority of the stock hard lines to run front to rear?
i thought about that but I will be upgrading the radiator and it will have AN fittings and I have to come off the waterpump outlet at damn near 90deg - like an SLC - so AN fitting there too... just makes sense to just do it all in nice new stuff. I tend to half *** things when it's a puzzle and not all the pieces are there!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #29
Launching!

With my limited experience working with an stuff, I'd have regular hose barbs put on the rad, and use the stock lines as much as possible is all.

Would hate to try and route such a large hunk of that stuff, and then secure it so it doesn't cause problems.

The rad have to be custom, or is there an off the shelf upgrade that works?
Krom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #30
TECH Junkie

Quote:

That's "sorta" true. If you live in the mountains where the engine is loaded (uphill) you should do this. I'm in the "flatlands" and have run with the heater inlet/outlets plugged (well, valved off) and have had no problems, even though I'm located on coastal TX with upper 90 temps and 80% humidity...
S10xGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #31
Launching!

This build is awesome
White Out is offline   Reply With Quote