Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Killing power to ECU

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Killing power to ECU

I have an LM4/4L60E in my '39 Chevy. Of course I don't drive it all the time and even less in the winter months. Sometimes it will sit for over a week without starting and I'm a little concerned that it may drain the battery. There is a master kill switch which would kill all power but I'm a little concerned about killing power to the ECU over and over. I could run a wire around the kill switch to keep power to the ECU but I would also like to use the kill switch as a theft device. So, question is: will killing power to the ECU have any long term effects on it?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Harbor Freight Battery Tender

Hi, to let a battery "set" in NOT good.

MY method, low cost, is to purchase a Harbor Freight battery "tender" @ $12.00

My purchase quantity is five units at once due to the timing of discounted sales.
I "hard wire" this item into customer cars and use the same unit on my 2007 L-92 "Caddy" when my wife "forces" me to take her on those thirty day vacations.

Your question, no harm "answered", will delete the BLM.

Lance
Old 01-02-2017, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

$25 will get you a battery tender jr that you can leave plugged in 24-7. There are other brands but that is the one I use and know works.

Disconnecting a battery in the winter will cut the battery life in half. Think I have had the current battery for over 7 years.

BTW I don't suppose you will hurt anything constantly disconnecting and reconnecting the ECU but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Especially when the tender solves the issue and guarantees battery life.

Quick Reply: Killing power to ECU