Sponsored by:

Pontiac Tempest Custom Convertible -67, LM7+TH350

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pontiac Tempest Custom Convertible -67, LM7+TH350

Hi

Let me introduce my new project, and hoping to get few tips and guides to right direction with this.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7117/2...68a16647_b.jpg

Some may remember me from my Supercharged LS3 Camaro RS -70 project -> https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...track-car.html

So -67 Tempest Convertible. I had 2 -70 Charger 500´s, droved another couple years when finished, and when current project, better one which is a lifetime keeper started coming to finishline. I started wondering that is there any point owning to same type of cars? I´m more of driver than collector.

I´ve always absolute loved my Camaros engine, and as it´s more of racecar, i wanted same style for streercar also.

I started looking at Nova´s, Chevelles and Camaros, but preferably convertibles. When someone asked about my Charger and wanted to trade his Tempest for it, i was immediatly in love and sold.

Tempest is semi clone GTO, and long term plan is to finish this cloning at 90% level. It had new paint, completely new interior, roof, instrument panel etc. semi-descent frame of resto, good enough, but not that good that i would have sleeples nights to LS swap, or drive like these should.

It has freshly built 400 based 406cid SBC, quite healthy one, and also freshly built th350, i don´t know exact specs, but should be prepared for quite a good power numbers.

I drove with this last summer, and i worked like a charm. I improved chassis and suspension a bit. BMR lowering springs, Bilstein/Koni shocks, Energy bushing and small adjustments.

I also picked up -74 Malibu for spares, if i´m right, i can swap disc brakes with tall spindle conversion from this?

So, to LS swap, original plan before having an car was 5.3 truck engine, with centricharger, or single turbo setup. I sourced project engine recently here from Finland, dealer that sells these, modified for retrofit purposes. So plug-and play modified harness with flashed ecu. This had low oil pressure, and was cheap. So it was perfect for my purposes, i would have taken it apart anyways.

I´ve allready sourced LH8 oilpan, it should be right for this swap if im correct. But with what offset is engine meant to be mounted when using that, engine mount adapters seem to be quite easy to made, but offset is question mark?

My plan at this point is to use TH350 for now, LM7 uses plate type flexplate, and im understood that i need for example Hughes Performance HP3795 adapter for torque converter align? Right...?

Outer fuel pump, with corvette style regulator is the plan.

If i do this swap for next summer, it´s going to be cam only N/A this year, boost can come later. So i try to source parts now, and make as much i can ready, and take fast project for swap when i have few days to spent to this.

I´m currently finishing my other Charger, should be ready in couple of months. It has SRT8 theme, 6.1 SRT8 Hemi, T56 from f-body and should also handle

More pics here if anyones interested, but otherwise i think that´s enough about Mopars in LS forum ->

Last edited by Mikko; 03-01-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice looking Pontiac convertible you have there Mikko, but then i might be a little Poncho biased.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

You have way too much money. YES. I am jealous. LOL

Quick Reply: Pontiac Tempest Custom Convertible -67, LM7+TH350