Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crazy guys

One thing who impress me, with the LS/LSx engine, is how popular they are, and how many different cars they been swapin` into. . Last weekend i was visiting an ice race . There i meet father and son Slåttekjær from Risør int the Southern Norway.. They have swap an LS1 into a Ford Fiesta. Robin ( son) took me out for a ride, and .. yes it works.. Amazing how strong this engine is.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

The main quiz is : Is the angel between trans and propershaft is inside this 3 gr. if not, i have to modify the trans tunnel.

Last edited by Tarjaei; 03-03-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Default New exhaust and soon engine start..

First time outside garage on 2 year.. Good to have company car with enaugh power...

Ready for trip to Skien (nearest town)

https://www.svendseneksos.no/

Exhaust master Fredrik Halvorsen did a great job

For easy removal they made an extra connector behind the rear axel

2 1/2 pipes with crossover..

Muffler from Ferrita, i`m exceeted on how it will sound

Nice fitt between frame and gas tank

enough clearance to keep bumper clean...

back to the garage and ready for engine start..
Old 04-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that looks SUPER CLEAN! I like it! (What trans crossmember is that?)
Been delayed on my side, but should start pushing hard in the next week or so. It's slowly getting warmer, and I can't wait to cruise this beast!
Old 04-18-2019, 03:42 AM
Staging Lane

I use the origianal rear crossover. Notched out enaugh space for rear engine mount. I can understand you escaped the same as me.. B-body parts does not fit automatic. they are made for chevy,and its a big difference between Chevy and Pontiac ,special the front end and frame... Good luck with your project.. I follow you..

Old 04-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep up the good work, from another Poncho fan.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:44 AM
Staging Lane

Default new Step Forward and near the final

A lot of troubleshooting the last time before starting up. I don`t know what to do without this site http://www.lt1swap.com/. It helped me so much

Trouble shooting with fans, after a talk with a friend, i understand that the ECU give ground signal ,and i have to connect relay without ground...

Lot of troobleshooting here..

The original alterantor dont work ( the one i changed bearing in) Ì buy a new one with 145 A. Now i can install what stereo i want....

http://www.lt1swap.com/ . Can not say, how good to have this site, with all sketches and picture, explain how to do etc.

The pixie is on the load.. and it don`t help to makeup on a pig.. it`s still a pig... , yes it leaks oil rear on the valve cover.. After dismantling 4 times, i need a break

I use gasket glue between adapter and the head. Between gasket and valve cover i try to tight it wothout..

I have to buy 3 set... until now..

Here is a picture under dash. The ECD 100 speedo box have found his place here..

the ecu is hide, so i can mount the original glove box...

I don fasten this before the speedo box is calibrated. I have understand its a little adjusting with the speedobox..
Sorry for missing updates, but last time with starting engine, have been a lot of troubleshooting, and learning buy doing.

The engine is now running,

Last edited by Tarjaei; 06-08-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Wow...looks great, sounds even better Tarjaei. I run an ECD-100 in my 72 A-body wagon with the factory speedo, super smooth needle operation. I have mine mounted under the dash also, very quiet.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:00 AM
Staging Lane

Default Time for drive&test...

After some issue and troubleshooting with the electrical to trans, it now works. The trans go in limp mode, and it was my failure. When i extended the electrical contact to the trans, i have done some failure, and exchanged two of the cable ( yellow/black). After i repair this, the car still not shift, but it wasn`t sign to the speedo box either. Before i do anymore, i start with exchanging the VSS sensor. This was the magic thing, and now it shift like it should.. I feel that the brake was horror, and it was just like the new booster dont work. A friend of me tell me to check the valve, and it was completely tight both ways... After replacing this the booster to work, and the brakes is ok. I feel that it is little vacuum capacity, and i plan to mount an extra vacuum tank, for increasing the capacity. It is still some issues and details again, but now i have to use the car, and enjoy it. With new disc brakes, upgraded suspension, sway bar and steering box, adjustable koni shocks it is like a totally different car to drive. i have an original 66 Bonneville home with me ( for sale car) now, and compare with this, it is like a car from other time... This project have been a lot of thinking and planning, and it is a lot of people and friend who have helped me, and give me input. It is always difficult to know, which person one should mentioned, but together with all other it is 3 person, i will say special thanks too, Bjørn Aslak brekke, Olav Lund and Kjell Arne Løwer ( http://protouringsupport.no/ ) You have making this project easyer for me...Thouand Thanks..

Here was the dog burried, when i change this the car works...

two bad issues, who make a little horrar. 1. vss sensor dont work 2. the valve in the brake booster was completely tight , both ways

To sit ooutside and install the carpet and interior was pleasure

Ready for drive, after 2 and half year in garage

My dog Bonnie like to be with

I think the car is a little higher in the front now, compare with the 389 this engine wight a little less..

Last edited by Tarjaei; 07-04-2019 at 03:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kpeters59 (07-06-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Default Almost finishing

Almost finishing

After insstalling new door panel from https://www.opgi.com/ the car begin to be very driveable. It seems like the engine " breath" a little on idle, and you see the reason. I use an ventilated oil cap, and , of course, it will not work with intake vacuum and PCV valve, on the other valve cover. When i install a " tight" cap, the engine get an more equal, or relaxed idle speed. And yes, my daughter`s have missed their favorite car, the times it have been i garage, and our dog Bonnie, love to be with us..
And yes, it was time for a major cleaning in my garage, next project to left, an 65 Bonneville Safari.. , i bought this car in 96`and i started an original restoring for some years ago.. now, i have other plan`s
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo884.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo664.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo330.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo18.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo146.jpg  

1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo413.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo443.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo964.jpg  

Last edited by Tarjaei; 07-15-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

Default Time for driving

Now i have drove the car a while,and this weekend i was visiting dragracing competition in my hometown Fyresdal. I should wish a little "quicker, or faster shift between gear, but the car run without any problem. It is quicker, and faster than i believe before i start,and it surprised me, how strong and quick this engine is. remember this is a 60`s family car with 2,73 in the rear. Now i`m glad it have the original posi. When l look at the dragrace, i just play with my mind, that it have been funny and checked out, which time it possible could get, i guess under 10 sec... ( 1/8 mile ) When i drove home yesterday, i drove topdown over a montain " våmur" , and i think it was a nice occasion for making some photo shot.. I have done a little research on the fuel consume, and until it seems that it have been decreased by ca 40- 45 %...
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo146.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo758.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo852.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo346.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo659.jpg  

1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo560.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo745.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo635.jpg   1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9-photo315.jpg  

Last edited by Tarjaei; 07-15-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

That sure is some beautiful scenery, and the Poncho looks fabulous. You have done a great job.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Smile Updating status and summer memory

Sorry for missing and late updating form Norway.. I try to summarize the status from summer to now here.. After driving and enjoying the car, it was some issue i have to fix...
Some of theme is almost embarrassed to admit. A loosen clamp on the fuel pumpe make some some throuble, and slow gas respond... Before i found the error, i try to exchange fuel filter and i have to measure the pressure step by step...The next thing who i have to work with is the stupid sound from under the dash,. First i believe it was missing ground from the ecu, but at last i eliminate it to be the speedo engine cable x.. I try to insulate it , but the sount still is there... Is it any other who have this issue ? If this is like it should be, i will consider to move the box another place...

Always highlight to receive and unpack parts from ames performance..

" need to have"

The coils on the firewall annoyed me all the summer, and it looks unfinished.. And i have to do something to cover theme...

I found some pontiac valve cover on facebook market place, and i will try to make something out of theme

With som drop, chop and section work it should be possible to make something of theme

Before i replace the vacum booster with hydrovac, i have to try a cannister box.. I wasn`t impresed over the vacum from my new engine...

headliner of to do list this winter.. I have some adititonal point too, but the realistic list is here..

Happy summermemory and driving with friends..And yes the car work good..

Two of the same family.. i think the 4 door 66 have stay original with her 5K miles, and placed in a garage since 1984..

Last edited by Tarjaei; 12-01-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

How the gas mileage?
Old 12-01-2019, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Tarjaei, I initially mounted the Cable X in my '57 Star Chief just inside the cabin by the fuse box, which is on the driver's side footwell. The whirring noise drove me crazy, and I see from reviews of others that it is an issue with most of them. I relocated it to the engine compartment, and most of the noise is now hidden, although I can faintly hear it on smooth roads. I just turn the radio up a bit more now.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tramminc
How the gas mileage?
Hello.. i do some less measurement, and the fuel. Consume is averaged decreased about 35%.. from 14 mpg to 21/22 mog....
Old 12-02-2019, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

NIce car
Old 12-02-2019, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tarjaei
The next thing who i have to work with is the stupid sound from under the dash,. First i believe it was missing ground from the ecu, but at last i eliminate it to be the speedo engine cable x.. I try to insulate it , but the sount still is there... Is it any other who have this issue ? If this is like it should be, i will consider to move the box another place...

Hey Tarjaei, it looks like you are running the cable-X box from Abbott Ind. I used those on a couple of my early LS swap projects...I never really liked them. Didn't like the "dip switches", both were pretty noisy. I use Dakota Digital ECD-100's on everything I swap now that needs a cable drive, Easy to calibrate, very quiet. I have one mounted to the heater box under the dash in my wagon. Can't hear it at all.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just mounted it here temporarily because I wanted to hear/listen for noise if there was going to be any...

It's so quiet I left it on the heater box...

Old 12-03-2019, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for tip.. It seems like i have to choise between moving the box on the other side of the firewall, or buy a new box from dakota ...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-ecd-100-1/

Quick Reply: 1965 Pontiac Bonneville LQ9