Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LH6 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LH6 questions

I just picked up an LH6 from a 2006 Envoy Denali... $200 at the local self-serve junkyard

My hope is to assemble it into a usable motor, mate it up with a transmission of similar vintage (have 4L60E's and 4L80E's on hand) and drop it into a '90s Chevy pickup that really needs to lose its tired TBI 350. The goal is to stick to junkyard parts where possible/sensible, and just generally keep costs down.

What it consists of:

- Stock longblock
- Stock 799 heads
- Stock exhaust manifolds
- Stock intake manifold, "cathedral port"/4-bolt (throttle body missing)
- Stock fuel rails and injectors
- Stock accessories and drive, less alternator
- Randomly tossed in coils and brackets from a 2004-ish LM7 (originals were missing)

I understand this year/model had a 24x crank output, and a 1x cam output, like the Gen III motors... right?

It's missing the oil pan, since whatever yahoo removed the truck's front differential couldn't be bothered to properly disassemble it. What oil pan/pickup combos will work on this motor?

Like several other things, the harness and PCM were long gone by the time I found it. I imagine the original setup for this year/motor might be hard to come by. Since this should be a 24x/1x setup, does that mean I could instead grab a harness and PCM from the nearest Gen III truck/van, modify the wiring to reach the sensors at their Gen IV-style locations, and expect it to run?

Speaking of which, I suspect the PCM caveats might involve DOD and DBW... neither of which I'm committed to keeping.

I've seen a few articles about removing DOD on these engines. Seems many people replace the cam simultaneously, usually with a new aftermarket one. But, are there any low-buck alternatives (mostly thinking of used OEM stuff here) for this situation that wouldn't be a complete waste of time?

And, as far as throttle bodies, what would my choices be? I'm OK with reverting to a cable throttle body if the PCM/harness retrofit scheme is doable, but I have no idea if such a beast exists for this 4-bolt style intake.

Lots of questions, I know... but before I spend hours further Googling each one individually, I'd like to hear from those in the know, whether the entire scheme is half-baked or doable.

--Keith
Old 08-15-2017, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,039 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I would be sure of the 24X reluctor before making any assumptions, as most LH6's came as 58X. 2006 is when many LS engines switched over to 58X, and LH6's are possibly one of those. I actually thought ALL LH6's were 58X. I could be wrong on that...
Old 08-16-2017, 04:27 AM
Teching In

I was going based on the table from page 13 of this: http://www.lingenfelter.com/PDFdownloads/L460065397.pdf

But you're right, I really should make certain of what I've got. Will check it out and post back. (Me and the engine are in two different locations for the rest of the week.)
Old 08-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Teching In

A bit of Googling leads me to believe this is an '05-06 1x cam gear.

It also has a black CPS, which I understand is associated with the 24x crank reluctor (as opposed to a gray CPS for 58x).

Yet, the knock sensors are on the sides of the block, not in the valley cover. Kind of a mix of Gen III and IV.

EDIT: FWIW, I picked up an oil pan, pickup, and windage tray from an '02 Tahoe (mostly so I could close up the engine and set it on the shelf, though it seems rather likely that it'll fit my '94 Chevy truck anyways). I understand that a specific oil pan/pickup setup (pressure relief?) was required when DOD is present?

So, basically, the things left to figure out are:

- What junkyard harness and computer could be reasonably expected to run this motor (perhaps a Gen III PCM and harness, with wiring modified to reach the Gen IV sensor locations... or are too many things different?)

- What throttle body will play nice with said computer, and yet fit my 4-bolt intake manifold (DBC, DBW, factory, aftermarket?)

- When deleting DOD, what cam (preferably something that could be bought used) would be a good choice for this motor - and any other "bang for the buck" things I should do while I'm into the top end
Attached Thumbnails 2006 LH6 questions-img_20170820_105847098.jpg  

Last edited by kthelen; 08-20-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,039 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Looks like you have a "transition" engine; Gen IV, but 24X. All Gen IV's have knock sensors on the side.
If an OEM cam is desired, check into the LQ9. Runs smooth, but gives you about 40 more HP.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts

Its 24x.
You can use any ls harness really. youll need a 4 bolt tb and bracket.
For the dod delete we have all the parts necessary for that.
You can use any oil pan and pickup tube on it. For a truck swap most of the time the truck pan or gm muscle car oil pan kit work.
Change the oil pump.

That's about it. We have all the parts and info youll need that you either cannot find or cannot get from the jy.

For more info please email me
Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com

It alot easier to track and work up quotes and lists
Old 09-13-2017, 11:46 PM
Teching In

About to do the same thing and im wondering if the oil pump has to be changed?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts

The best way to find out is to call the dealer and ask for the oil pump for your vehicle with your vun. If its not 12586665 then its likely youll need a diff pump. The 12586665 is the "ls6" pump but is used on all reg gen3 and 4 engines and some vvt or afm engines also. It is the same as in the gmpp 17801830 kit also.
Otherwise if you have high miles it may be a good idea anyway.
The following users liked this post:
StorminMatt (03-12-2022)

Quick Reply: 2006 LH6 questions