Sponsored by:

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertD
I’ll throw the ss2 in the 5.3.

As crazy as it sounds I’m pretty bummed about throwing a 5.3 in this car lol. I love seeing the look on people’s faces when I tell them it’s a 4.8. Most people that aren’t really familiar with Ls’s (at least people I come across) seem to think if it’s not a 5.3 or 6.0 it’s slow.

5.3 should make great power and will be stronger so it’s really a win win.
I've got a better one. Just tell them "it's just a truck engine". That'll turn their noses up.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks like a new one

That’s the #2 main. #1 showed some pitting too. Anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this?

ive been doing a little reading and seems that with using the fbody pan and cutting quick 60’ times it can uncover/starve the pick up? Is this true?

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-yvvlbbg.jpg

Last edited by RobertD; 06-16-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

it could, when i was building my car it was going to be drift car so i ended up getting a baffled oil pan from canton and it was great quality let me say but now im doing a drag car and well it will still save me since it has an amazing baffle system. i would look into either a baffled oil pan or perhaps one of those accu sump system thing? not sure what its called.

btw im glad the intercooler really did change your car. as funny as it sounds i had a friend do the same over the weekend and he noticed the change in his IAT

his was sitting around 170-190 i think'? now it sits on 117 i think?

i told him to relocate the IAT might help too.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by panda240ss
it could, when i was building my car it was going to be drift car so i ended up getting a baffled oil pan from canton and it was great quality let me say but now im doing a drag car and well it will still save me since it has an amazing baffle system. i would look into either a baffled oil pan or perhaps one of those accu sump system thing? not sure what its called.

btw im glad the intercooler really did change your car. as funny as it sounds i had a friend do the same over the weekend and he noticed the change in his IAT

his was sitting around 170-190 i think'? now it sits on 117 i think?

i told him to relocate the IAT might help too.
I seen some guys overfill by a half to full quart and that helps too. I’ll try that but I’ll have to move my turbo return line to the front cover bc it’s only a hair above oil level while not running right now. Not sure how much the level in the pan drops while running w/ rpm but just don’t want to chance it.

Head studs, ring filing grinder, oil pan gasket, oil pump pick up tube and cam retainer cover came in today. Just waiting on my headgaskets and I’ll throw this five tree together
Old 06-18-2019, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

Man ever since we spoke about the terminator x ive been looking into pretty bad man! i kinda wanna jump on it, sell my harness, sell my pcm and sell my wideband since the terminator comes with a wideband already! but just worried over a bit of the setup you have to do and such. but im sure its WELL worth it! i was going to get my harness reloomed to make it look nice but i might just sell it as is and try to go from there...

only crappy part is that the terminator is out of stock till almost 2 months ( 7 30 19 ) but ill have to do so.

do you think with the base map the terminator gives you i can at least move the car around and what not untill i have time to put it on the dyno at least. i have alot of work to do still but ugh just wanna get the damn computer.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

i got an updated email yesterday for my x max saying it was delayed again till july 31. at first they said it should ship out by the middle of this month but it isnt happening.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:04 PM
9 Second Club

I’d be all over a terminator x right now too if they were in stock, especially since my harness is completely undone.

i know nothing about any of the terminator x stuff right now but it seems easy to get a start up tune going and possibly be able to move it around
Old 06-18-2019, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

since you only need the x you might be able to call around and find one. from what they guy said at pace performance yesterday when i called they only make 2 or 3 versions of the x max and thats why those were on backorder. i got a while till im up and running with the truck so i dont really mind the wait.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

ill wait. i gotta finish my intercooler pipng and paint the bay

by july i should be able to get it if not aug for sure. selling my wideband to a friend and gotta get rid of the harness.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:45 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kyle.t91
since you only need the x you might be able to call around and find one. from what they guy said at pace performance yesterday when i called they only make 2 or 3 versions of the x max and thats why those were on backorder. i got a while till im up and running with the truck so i dont really mind the wait.
I called everywhere I could find that said was in stock on the 550-903 but they were out of
stock. I did find the 550-904 which has the truck style injector plugs but wanted the cleaner look of losing the ev1 to truck injector adaptors
Old 06-19-2019, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess holley wasnt expecting all us junk yard cheap asses to jump all over these new ECUs and now they cant keep up.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:56 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kyle.t91
i guess holley wasnt expecting all us junk yard cheap asses to jump all over these new ECUs and now they cant keep up.
Haha for sure. I may just post my crap for sale and wait on it.

I got another question for you guys and I’m just curious really. Every dyno vid I see are fairly short quick pulls. When my tuner throws my car on the dyno, it’s a full 3rd gear to rev limiter160-170mph pull. Is there a reason behind this? Just seems harder on the car then it really needs to be but I’m not a tuner and haven’t seen many cars on the dyno in person

not pointing fingers or trying to place any blame, was just curious

Last edited by RobertD; 06-19-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

all depends on gearing which is 1:1 gear and also how the tune is going if it start leaning or riching out you should stop lol
Old 06-19-2019, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Could be different types of dynos. With a pure inertial dyno, like a Dynojet with no optional equipment added, you're just measuring the angular acceleration of the drum. Higher horsepower cars will accelerate the drum faster, lower horsepower or longer-geared cars will take longer. On that type of dyno, how long the pull takes is just a question of physics. With a load bearing dyno, it is often possible for the operator to specify a ramp rate in RPM-per-second, or otherwise manipulate how fast the dyno accelerates.

I personally prefer to do longer pulls. I usually rent time on some Dynapacks, and I set them to a ramp rate of about 500 RPM / sec. I prefer this for two reasons. First, on a turbo car, if the ramp rate is too fast, the engine tends to "run away" from the turbo, sort of like how when you are actually driving the car, you don't necessarily see full boost in first gear if you mat it from a stop because the engine RPMs rise faster than the turbo can spool up. A longer pull in a higher gear ensures that you'll see more of the area where the engine could, potentially, operate in boost, and it'll also be easier to detect other conditions that wouldn't show up in a shorter pull, like boost creep. Secondly, there is a lot of time-dependent stuff that goes on, particularly in fueling--tip-in modifiers, modifiers for rapid changes in MAP, etc. It is often easier to tune near-steady-state operation first, and then work on transient behavior afterward.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:42 AM
9 Second Club

Good deal. His is a mustang dyno. I was just curious and figured there was reasoning behind it
Old 06-19-2019, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I would definitely recommend going with the term X, I discussed this with my brother and thankfully convinced him to go that route instead of stock pcm and hptuners. I'm not even sure what all safety features can be configured with it but practically any safety stuff is worth its weight in gold when compared to the ZERO safety you get with a stock pcm.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

EXACTLY! im 80 percent sold on it ! tbh!

got my wideband sold! just need that harness and pcm sold! lol
Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by panda240ss
EXACTLY! im 80 percent sold on it ! tbh!

got my wideband sold! just need that harness and pcm sold! lol
Lmk what you get out of your harness and stock pcm. Honestly don’t know what I can get out of mine or how to price it
Old 06-19-2019, 11:48 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by fouledout443
Man I would definitely recommend going with the term X, I discussed this with my brother and thankfully convinced him to go that route instead of stock pcm and hptuners. I'm not even sure what all safety features can be configured with it but practically any safety stuff is worth its weight in gold when compared to the ZERO safety you get with a stock pcm.
Right now I at least have over boost and lean boost cut with my boost controller. Sure would have liked to have a low oil pressure safety last Friday lol
Old 06-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertD
Lmk what you get out of your harness and stock pcm. Honestly don’t know what I can get out of mine or how to price it

We're planning on using his pcm and harness on an old CJ5, something that doesnt need the safety stuff as much.

For the past 2-3 years I've mentioned to my friends about how I dislike not having the safety and don't plan on building another fast project without it, then a few weeks ago I popped my truck engine so I'm kinda salty about it...still haven't figured out exactly what went wrong, data log looks perfect so i'm a bit paranoid. Still not sure what im going to do with it yet

Quick Reply: 99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap