Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks man.

it does have a vent hose now, was just a last minute thing before I hauled it to the tuner
Old 07-13-2018, 09:26 PM
9 Second Club

Took the car out for a short drive earlier, what a ******* blast.

one thing I noticed is my fuel pump is randomly making some high pitched noises. I’m going to order a couple new filters to see if that helps. Anyone else experience this with a aem 380lph in-line pump?
Old 07-14-2018, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the build thread! Going to be starting my own this winter. 5.3/Th400 turbo in an 02 GT vert. What all did you keep and remove of the original wiring/pcm to keep the interior stuff working?
Old 07-14-2018, 07:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mayrose901
Love the build thread! Going to be starting my own this winter. 5.3/Th400 turbo in an 02 GT vert. What all did you keep and remove of the original wiring/pcm to keep the interior stuff working?

thanks man. can’t wait to get it on the dyno so I can open this thing up!!

the only wiring I removed from the car itself was just the stock 6 cylinder engine harness. The rest of the cars wiring is untouched. I would eventullly like to weed out what isn’t needed though. There is a lot of unneeded plugs in the passenger side fender.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertD
Took the car out for a short drive earlier, what a ******* blast.

one thing I noticed is my fuel pump is randomly making some high pitched noises. I’m going to order a couple new filters to see if that helps. Anyone else experience this with a aem 380lph in-line pump?
I had one in my c10 and it was noisy. I read somewhere that they are better pusher pumps then puller pumps. At the time I had my fuel system set up where it wassnt able to gravity feed the pump. Got a different fuel cell and it was gravity feeding and that helped with some noise .also didn't run a filter pre pump. Just Ran a 100 micron filter after the pump.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:33 AM
9 Second Club

Gotcha.

Yeah it was weird, went from not so loud to pretty loud. Seems to get worse with heat and coming to a stop.

I ordered a couple new fuel filters just incase there was some crap I didn’t get out. Also going to see about dropping my pump about an inch or 2
Old 07-14-2018, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's sucking air somewhere or maybe your low on fuel? I noticed when my truck got lower it would whine more when stopping or turning. It always did that but it never stopped working.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:12 PM
9 Second Club

I figured out my fuel pump problem.

i took he cheap foam out of the cell bc I didn’t trust it. When coming to a stop all my fuel is sloshing towards the front of the cell.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hahaha. Glad you got it figured out. It's always something simple.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build thread!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:03 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Clappedout02gt
Awesome build thread!
thanks. I’m ready for this thing to be in the dyno so I can beat on it
Old 07-16-2018, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertD

thanks man. can’t wait to get it on the dyno so I can open this thing up!!

the only wiring I removed from the car itself was just the stock 6 cylinder engine harness. The rest of the cars wiring is untouched. I would eventullly like to weed out what isn’t needed though. There is a lot of unneeded plugs in the passenger side fender.
it has seemed to me that the engine harness and the lights/etc are on the same harness on my 99. did you just strip those other connectors out of the harness as a whole? ive been worried ill lose the power windows/locks when removing the ECU and other bits until i get to the point where i am gutting those components it would be nice if they worked.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:01 PM
9 Second Club

All my power windows, lights, defrost, etc still work.

The engine harness disconnected from everything and I left all other wiring alone. I have a picture of it hanging in my
engine bay from when I first pulled the motor out but can’t get imgur to work. I’ll try to get a picture of it posted tomorrow
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dan95gst
it has seemed to me that the engine harness and the lights/etc are on the same harness on my 99. did you just strip those other connectors out of the harness as a whole? ive been worried ill lose the power windows/locks when removing the ECU and other bits until i get to the point where i am gutting those components it would be nice if they worked.
I'm pretty sure the 99-04 are all wired (mostly) the same. There's a separate engine harness that disconnects at the back of the firewall on the passenger side. There are 3 or 4 connections that all unplug from the car. I think one is transmission as well. I unplugged mine from there and everything else in the car works fine. Power windows, locks, trunk release etc etc...
Old 07-18-2018, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There's a decent amount of stock engine stuff intertwined with the factory wiring harness, but you can get away with removing almost all of it. Kind of depends on how ambitious you want to be. In my case, I started with a 3.8L manual transmission car, and I went with aftermarket gauges. I was able to delete the stock ECU and the CCRM (passenger's front fender) with only a few hours' worth of work; I vaguely remember having to short two wires together to get the clutch safety switch working so I could start the car, but that was about it. I later went back and was able to remove a lot more stuff from the harness:

1. In the back, you've got the entire fuel pump harness, which includes the fuel tank pressure sensor, misc. other evaporative emissions stuff, and the fuel pump driver module (99-04 cars use an ECU-controlled returnless fuel system). Since I was using two GSS342s in a full return system, I deleted all of this and chased the wires back out of the trunk, down the driver's side floorboard, across the cabin, and into what was left of the factory ECU harness.
2. There is a good bit of wiring that goes behind the dashboard from the stock ECU to to the stock gauges, and some other stuff. Don't need most of that.
3. Some more ECU-controlled stuff goes between the passenger compartment and the relay box in the driver's side of the engine compartment. Not needed.
4. There is wiring that goes across the front of the car from the relay box. I think part of this may be related to the stock fans, and I suspect that there is more related to AC and other systems. I'd deleted the AC a long time ago and had run alternate wiring for my fan setup, so I was able to delete this.

Ford definitely ran some stuff related to the passenger's side headlight and turn signal through one of the three wiring harness connectors near the stock ECU, so if you're deleting that stuff, you'll need to find and reconnect those wires. It's not that hard. The rest (except for the clutch safety on a manual transmission car, as I mentioned above) can simply be removed.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lemming104
Ford definitely ran some stuff related to the passenger's side headlight and turn signal through one of the three wiring harness connectors near the stock ECU, so if you're deleting that stuff, you'll need to find and reconnect those wires. It's not that hard. The rest (except for the clutch safety on a manual transmission car, as I mentioned above) can simply be removed.
That's really funny you say that because that's the only thing on my car that doesn't work. My passenger parking light and turn signal acts as if it doesn't have power. I left everything ford in my car so I just assumed I missed a ground somewhere. You wouldn't happen to know which wires need to get hooked together do you? That would be very helpful.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Launching!

I don't remember offhand because I did all that stuff over a year ago, and I kind of did guess-and-test as I went. All I know is that there are 2-3 wires that are actually from the turn signal and parking light, they go through one of the three big connectors that are clipped on to the back side of the ECU in the passenger's side footwell, through the passenger's side fender grommet, past the CCRM (I don't think they go through the CCRM), to the passenger's side headlight.

Since those are the only two wires left that go through that wiring harness on my '03 V6, I can go in there and tell you what the wire colors are if that would help in any way, but there are probably over 100 pins between those three connectors, so I'm not sure how helpful that would be?

If you've messed around in there and/or disconnected the three connectors near the ECU, it is almost certainly that.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lemming104
I don't remember offhand because I did all that stuff over a year ago, and I kind of did guess-and-test as I went. All I know is that there are 2-3 wires that are actually from the turn signal and parking light, they go through one of the three big connectors that are clipped on to the back side of the ECU in the passenger's side footwell, through the passenger's side fender grommet, past the CCRM (I don't think they go through the CCRM), to the passenger's side headlight.

Since those are the only two wires left that go through that wiring harness on my '03 V6, I can go in there and tell you what the wire colors are if that would help in any way, but there are probably over 100 pins between those three connectors, so I'm not sure how helpful that would be?

If you've messed around in there and/or disconnected the three connectors near the ECU, it is almost certainly that.
I literally unhooked the harnesses from the engine bay and installed my motor. Initially I was going to run the ford pcm in parallel with my gm pcm but then I got disgusted at the amount of work and money that was involved in it so I abandoned that and just put a 00 Camaro gauge cluster in it. Not perfect looking but it's functional. So the wires your talking about must just get jumped in one of those underhood plugs and in turn provide power to that parking lamp. If you could tell me which ones you jumped I would be in your debt because it's really bothered me that I messed something up. I was certain I hadn't I just haven't had time to investigate and the car runs great despite that one thing.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Sounds about like what I did, although I later went back, removed the dash, and gutted out all of the wiring I could conclusively identify as "no longer needed." Thus, I don't even have any of those connectors anymore, just a tiny little one that connects those two circuits.

I'll check later and see if I can at least tell you what colors those wires are on my '03. If I have time, I'll see if there's anything in the shop manual about that part of the harness.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

What's the dyno numbers on it? I see it wasn't at the shop today when I picked up some parts.

Quick Reply: 99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap