Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i commend you for that, i hate wiring. but im also red/green colorblind so its not exactly fun lol.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dan95gst
i commend you for that, i hate wiring. but im also red/green colorblind so its not exactly fun lol.
I love it! This harness will look so much better then the last one. I plan on cleaning the engine bay up a lot more.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:13 AM
Launching!

Well i have been slowly chipping away at the build when I can.
Changing the springs from my 317 heads to the 706's.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-two29cnl.jpg

Got some new tires for the car, these have about 250 miles on them. 28" tall M/T Street SS, thanks to RobertD for shooting me the link. He has been an invaluable asset to getting this thing wrapped up.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-jwlneenl.jpg

Money shot!
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-h4qhjurl.jpg

Traded my triple pump setup for this brand new Fore Dual Return hat -8 feed and return with walbro 465 LPH pumps E85 capable... One of the things i like the best about this fuel hat is that it eliminated all rubber hoses. It uses the factory nipple for the walbro pumps and it inserts directly into the billet fuel hat.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-xbbud4ll.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-dobkroll.jpg

I'm working on the wiring harness part right now, had to stop and drop the engine in the car so i can make sure the harness is all coming together into one loom at the firewall. My last harness i didn't like because i had like 6 wire looms going into the cabin. Here's the new fuse/relay board that will mount behind the fake air bag skin in the pass side dash.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-vhcydewl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-h4yoekol.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-sqvnefkl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-wiqk70gl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-9uivgjbl.jpg

Rear end is getting its final touches this week so it should be ready for me to pick up next week.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-cqxwmzgl.jpg

I also got myself a tow pig for the mustang. 2003 Suburban 4x4, Z71, All the option you could think of, has the better gears in the differential for towing. Bad part, it has a bad trans. I am debating on switching it over to a 4l80e or finding a cheap 4l60e to run while i get the original one rebuilt with better internals.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-yqlbymcl.jpg
Old 01-29-2019, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

i wouldnt waste time building a 4l60. if you want to put money into it get a reman from GM for around 2000 bux and they have a 3 year 30k mile parts AND labor warranty. an 80e isnt a terrible idea but it takes some fiddling to get it to work and towing a mustang behind the burb a 65e will do just fine.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:28 AM
Launching!

i wouldnt waste time building a 4l60. if you want to put money into it get a reman from GM for around 2000 bux and they have a 3 year 30k mile parts AND labor warranty. an 80e isnt a terrible idea but it takes some fiddling to get it to work and towing a mustang behind the burb a 65e will do just fine.
I am not building is so to speak. Just upgrading some of the components to help the 3-4 clutch last, fluid transfer better etc. basically a stock rebuild with minor upgrades to keep the clutches alive. I am talking to a guy right now that can get me a rebuilt upgraded 4l60e for 850, one of my buddies down here has had his from him for the last 3 years with no issues. I may take that route. I'm not looking to have a bunch of money tied up into the Burban at all, just going to be a cheap tow rig. I got it for 800 bucks so I don't plan on having more than 2-3k in it.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

word that makes sense. trans cooler is key for longevity. that and not trying to make the thing do 2-3 WOT shifts all the time.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Whats up guys! Not much of an update right now. Money has been tight so i have been just making progress on the wiring aspect.

I got the LS standalone all wired in and it appears to be functioning, relay panel is working as it should be. Ordered the rest of my fuel lines to finish up, went with fragola lines and fittings this go around. Better safe than sorry with fuel related ****. I still need to yank the trans back out and install the pilot bearing and the RXT clutch so i might do that this week.

Waiting on a coupon for eBay so that I can order my boost controller and some misc. lines for the turbo drain and feed.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea next ebay coupon is turbo time for me lol.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Car has been sitting so long its been collecting dust!
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-hbnojdkl.jpg

I guess its time for an update after almost a month lol. Progress is still slow, i am still slowly connecting parts. Ordered my boost controller, ended up with GFB G Force 3, a couple more fuel line related things, UPR bushings for the rear, couple smaller things. Ordered my down-pipe, going 3.5" out of the fender at a 45 like so.

New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-jzdspeyl.jpg

New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-bdyzyi0l.jpg

Got the hole from my previous fuel setup welded shut. It would have been in the way of my return fuel line fitting and hose..
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-o00iedrl.jpg

Picked up my axle finally. Braced, 9" ends, Tubes straightened and welded, ARB tabs welded on, 35 spline axles with dual drilled studs for 5/8 and 1/2" and a spool. Should hold to some abuse. I had the 1/2 holes drilled because i don't plan to run at the track often so i will keep my street wheels on. When and if i do go crazy I will switch over to the 5/8" holes. Also ordered some custom brackets so i can utilize my cobra rear brakes still.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-pagxjpvl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-sw8s5eul.jpg

All painted!
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-zyqsqjcl.jpg

Some of the fuel lines ran and regulator mounted.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-sryq9rtl.jpg

As soon as i get the silverado motor swap i did this weekend running right then i will dig down into this car!
Old 03-22-2019, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What did you paint the 8.8 with? I just pulled a 8.8 for a new edge last weekend.

Stampede.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
What did you paint the 8.8 with? I just pulled a 8.8 for a new edge last weekend.

Stampede.
I used tractor implement paint. Brushed on, two coats. Seems to be pretty durable I tried to scratch it and it's hard. It brushes on nice and lays out flat. Make sure to wear gloves lol, I had black hands for 3 days.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What brand did you use, and what kind of prep did you do?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
What brand did you use, and what kind of prep did you do?

Thanks.
Tractor Supply! I flap wheeled the whole housing, acetone cleaned it, masked it off. I used their primer for the implement paint then let it cure, then used the tractor implement paint. I used semi gloss.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Launching!

I really need to write a plan down with this car and stick to it!

Just sold off all the gauges, wiring harness, HPTuner and ECUs, boost controller and bought a Holley setup.

Ended up getting a Dominator kit for a little less than half of retail brand new and couldnt get the idea out of my head so here we are! Will post updates when that and my clutch come in, still holding my tune date for May 8th. wish me luck!
Old 04-22-2019, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Well I worked long and hard this weekend to get everything buttoned up that I could while waiting on my clutch to come back.

Dropped the engine back in place with trans on it to start mockup of the feed and return lines for tubro, downpipe fabrication, radiator mounts, and getting the holley wiring harness all laid in.

The Holley Dominator and all her glory!
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-bhqf2ktl.jpg

Went ahead and shaved a couple of holes in the firewall from previous iteration of the car.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-hwu96arl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-lhzcedtl.jpg

Got a bunch of parts this week, shielded cable for holley sensors, crimpers for harness, some misc fittings for catch can and water pump.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-fmvowcfl.jpg

Went to throw the oil pan back on for good and ended up snapping one of the rear oil pan bolts, luckily it snapped just above the engine surface. Went ahead and ordered ARP hardware!
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-lge85ajl.jpg

Some pictures of the fabrication of the downpipe, ended up right where i wanted it. Will end up coating it and heat wrapping it later this week.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-slmplexl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-8phjcmml.jpg

Once i clocked the turbo i realized that i had a major problem. With the turbo drain perfectly plumb the drain would be hitting one of the bolts for the compressor housing, and a fitting would not clear the flange for turbo at all. Talked to a few people and came to the conclusion that these turbos have a 10-15 degree window for drain to be off center-line of plumb. To fix the clearance issue for drain fitting i picked up one of these bad boys.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-rpxs9qjl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-8ebgpjul.jpg

Fabbed up some radiator mounts out of aluminum, leaves it nice and clean up top. They are loose in this picture, they straightened up nice when bolts are tight.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-sr7nrvdl.jpg

And heres how it sits right now, will continue to do as much as possible this week till i have to rip everything back off and install clutch and new oil pan bolts.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-aqzrwnxl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-gu5bx82l.jpg
Old 04-24-2019, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Clutch finally came in! Damn thing look new after they rebuilt it!
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-qp8gevkl.jpg

Finally got the ***** to figure out my downpipe exit. Cut the hole about 1/4" too low, so i had to chop about 3/4" out of the pipe to make it work. It didn't come out how i visioned in my head, i may end up marking it up and grinding it almost flat with the fender.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-tgfi6hbl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-mulbhjol.jpg

Pulled out the engine again, time to assemble everything for the LAST time lol. I pick up my flywheel today, should have everything back in by this weekend. Time for final fitup ladies and gents! Also it took my about 1 hr to remove the engine from the point at the last picture in my last post!
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-tildjfjl.jpg
Old 04-24-2019, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

looking good man! keep up the good work.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:27 PM
Launching!

looking good man! keep up the good work.
Thanks man! Hope to have the car on the dyno still in May! lol
Old 05-08-2019, 06:36 AM
Launching!

Well got the car for the most part all put back together!

Mounted the Dominator behind the dash, this is up in-between where the radio and ac vents go. I wanted somewhere where in a pinch i could reach behind and pin or depin very easily. This works pretty wheel as all i have to do it pop the radio bezel off and reach in the vent area.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-u1twdu6l.jpg

I had to figure out how to bead roll the inter cooler pipe where i had to cut to fit. Quick google search and 8 bucks later we came up with this contraption. Doesn't look the best, but it will grip!
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-dnnfijkl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-ex6shxvl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-kumipu4l.jpg

Got all the body panels back on the car after i wrapped up everything getting installed. Looks weird seeing the car with the fenders back on!
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-igktfmql.jpg

Clearance between the charge pipe and the powersteering/radiator fan motor.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-rxpx3nzl.jpg

Went to start the car up and quickly realized that my injectors were LS2 height and no getting enough clamping force to seal the o rings so i swapped them out for my LS6 injectors temporarily to start the car. Car started fine, idled, then about 3 mins in developed a engine noise that resembled a rod knocking. Walked away, consulted a lot of people, decided to come back and run it for a bit then try to cut open the oil filter. Well as it was running, the noise got fainter and fainter. Engine purrs with no abnormal sounds now. To the best of my knowledge and my buddies is that there was a lifter that lost pressure and started to collapse. Luckily it filled back up and nothing was wrong.

This is just a walk around video, still need to get some modification done to the radiator to hook up coolant hoses but overall shes running like a champ!

Had some issues with the clutch or TOB not allowing the gears to be entered smoothly, so i took some time yesterday to rebleed everything from the bottom up. Works like a champ now, and also neighbors dont like it when you start the car at 9:30 in the night!
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-kaa6hncl.jpg
Old 05-08-2019, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

nice!

ive also got a noisy lifter on mine once it gets hot.

not surprisingly my motor has 200k miles on it and was owned by an old timer in a suburban so i doubt it ever went above 3500rpm for its whole life and my *** is shifting at 6400 lol.

Quick Reply: New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56