Sponsored by:

New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

WHAT AN EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER....

UPDATE TIME:

So got the car close enough on the tune to be able to drive it down the road, ended up having the hood fly up on me and smashing the windshield and dash.

New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-p4zotdnl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-cxzgoall.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-7cliefjl.jpg

Had enough force to rip one of the mounting bolts out of the body.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-n9xudqwl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-dihl7dyl.jpg

Installed hood LATCHES the following day lol.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-prummhxl.jpg

After that happened i also noticed a small little coolant leak, turns out that LS1 f body pump does not allow for a swivel thermostat. After some researching i found that i can use a ls2 which has the smaller thermostat opening, allowing me to use the swivel. I also rigged up this nice little tool to pull the fittings out to tap and thread some 90 degree fittings.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-uhuas0al.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-clidflal.jpg

Spoiled myself with a nice digital dash w/ GPS module.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-hfbysiil.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-fydycpyl.jpg

Finally got around to dropping the car off at the dyno last Thursday, made some good steam. Made 454/444 on a mustang dyno on 5lbs.
Pushed a little harder.

Ended up hearing that all to familiar sound after this pull. Pulled the valve covers, all rockers were tight... no sign of lifter problem. Changed oil, no glitter. Okay something must be up, lets pull the head and see if its the lifters still. MIND YOU this is still friday night.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-jvveq2ql.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-ocnfauul.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-1of6j9ul.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-vjqxnuzl.jpg

So at this point im cursing and thinking about torching the car outside in the driveway lol. The whole time i have been working on this car to get it ready for Hot Rod Power Tour, now i have to cancel my trip. I thought for about an hour on what to do, then i got a wild hair up my *** and decided to swap everything over to my old 6.0 and try and get it back on the dyno and tuned before the weekend was over!

Unwrapped my 6.0
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-qianbak.jpg

Remove old 5.3
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-52mwivhl.jpg

Changing over the springs to the 317 heads.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-cotm2tzl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-882ho3ql.jpg

Short-block coming together
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-4zlbjixl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-m0btfg6l.jpg

Installed in the engine bay!
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-kw3jg1xl.jpg

At 10:00PM on Saturday night I finally did it. So in 30 hours I diagnosed what was wrong, removed the 5.3, changed springs, installed all my goodies into the 6.0, and reinstalled a new motor into the car!

My tuner did not work Sunday, but this was yesterday. Car made 527/542 on 9 PSI. Still there today making some adjustments and cranking up the boost some more.

Still planning to do the Hot Rod Power Tour as well! Ill update you guys on tonight's numbers!
Old 06-04-2019, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is my biggest fear! sorry to hear that man i know that feeling.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Burning
WHAT AN EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER....

UPDATE TIME:

So got the car close enough on the tune to be able to drive it down the road, ended up having the hood fly up on me and smashing the windshield and dash.

Had enough force to rip one of the mounting bolts out of the body.

Installed hood LATCHES the following day lol.

After that happened i also noticed a small little coolant leak, turns out that LS1 f body pump does not allow for a swivel thermostat. After some researching i found that i can use a ls2 which has the smaller thermostat opening, allowing me to use the swivel. I also rigged up this nice little tool to pull the fittings out to tap and thread some 90 degree fittings.

Spoiled myself with a nice digital dash w/ GPS module.

Finally got around to dropping the car off at the dyno last Thursday, made some good steam. Made 454/444 on a mustang dyno on 5lbs.
Pushed a little harder.
5/31/19 Dyno Day

Ended up hearing that all to familiar sound after this pull. Pulled the valve covers, all rockers were tight... no sign of lifter problem. Changed oil, no glitter. Okay something must be up, lets pull the head and see if its the lifters still. MIND YOU this is still friday night.

So at this point im cursing and thinking about torching the car outside in the driveway lol. The whole time i have been working on this car to get it ready for Hot Rod Power Tour, now i have to cancel my trip. I thought for about an hour on what to do, then i got a wild hair up my *** and decided to swap everything over to my old 6.0 and try and get it back on the dyno and tuned before the weekend was over!

Unwrapped my 6.0

Remove old 5.3

Changing over the springs to the 317 heads.

Short-block coming together

Installed in the engine bay!

At 10:00PM on Saturday night I finally did it. So in 30 hours I diagnosed what was wrong, removed the 5.3, changed springs, installed all my goodies into the 6.0, and reinstalled a new motor into the car!
6.0 First Start

My tuner did not work Sunday, but this was yesterday. Car made 527/542 on 9 PSI. Still there today making some adjustments and cranking up the boost some more.
6/3/19 Dyno

Still planning to do the Hot Rod Power Tour as well! Ill update you guys on tonight's numbers!
Dude you are a total animal. I can't believe you got that all done in a day. What bounced around in that cylinder? Spark plug end bust off? At least you had the trusty old 6.0 laying around haha. You'll get some pretty numbers from that motor all said and done. Any plans for the next motor or are you just going to run that one til it blows? Either way congrats.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

thats a rollercoaster for sure man. damn.

glad you had a backup motor laying around.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SwapStang
Dude you are a total animal. I can't believe you got that all done in a day. What bounced around in that cylinder? Spark plug end bust off? At least you had the trusty old 6.0 laying around haha. You'll get some pretty numbers from that motor all said and done. Any plans for the next motor or are you just going to run that one til it blows? Either way congrats.
3 years ago I could barely change my own valve cover gaskets on a old honda, so this feat was a milestone of how far i have come in such short time! It looked like the end of a center punch, somehow maybe it was under the intake? I cant really say for sure what happened. The 6.0 is only temporary. I have been looking for another gen 4 6.0 block that I can do a rod/piston combo in this winter.

I guess I better update a little bit from the last month or so.

Car ended up making a measly 567hp/530tq on 12lbs and 10 degrees of timing on a mustang dyno, so it should be somewhere close to 630rwhp if corrected. We kept popping the intake boot off, so i need to have a v band welded onto the throttle body and switch to a solid piece right there at the 90 degree boot. So we left her where she was, set the Holley Dominator to revert to waste gate at 11.9 PSI in order to keep me from blowing the boot while on Hot Rod Power Tour.

Had a small bit of oil pushing from the bottom end somewhere while on the dyno, which we thought was because of not running a catch can. Turned out that it was the o-ring missing and the bottom of the f-body dipstick tube broken off in the pan.... not really sure how it happened but not it has a Lokar installed.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-zeyv7jal.jpg

Night before i was scheduled to leave to drive 6 hours to Charlotte for Hot Rod Power Tour i went to start the car up after a fresh oil change and noticed oil all over the ground... rubbed a hole somehow through the oil feed line to the turbo. So i overnighted parts from summit to Charlotte and replaced the oil feed line when i got there Friday night. Sucks that I had to trailer it the whole way, but ended up working out as i had to drop a truck off at a family members anyways.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-vffdexgl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-wbejcfxl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-u3v4lkhl.jpg

Other than that the car ran absolutely wonderful on the Power Tour. I was averaging about 15-17 mpg most of the time with some aggressive driving, and 25 mpg on the highway in 6th gear on the way back from Norwalk. Only hiccup i had was that i rubbed through the Power Steering line in Bristol, so i bypassed the pump and limped it to my house on the next leg of the trip.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-fd8w9nxl.jpg.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-dv30ktwl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-zox5tozl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-f4yfdgtl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-c0b1n7vl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-qfbxdiql.jpg

Some people sent me these that they took while on the tour, never thought my car would get anyones attention. But when you have the hater pipe and hood opened it raises questions lol!
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-b0jchqvl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-oftdncjl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-immpbt4l.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-n0pgsqxl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-jhtfavfl.jpg

Anyways, just thought i would let you guys know the car is still kickin!

Old 09-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Well boys and girls the car is sold to a new owner down in Southern TN. It was fun! Got a offer on the car i couldnt refuse. Ill be back into something else later on down the road. Thanks for everyones help, and thanks to all the friends i made on here during this journey.

This is how the car looked right before i sold it, and right on trailer.

New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-h4vjtgol.jpg

New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-wsswagrl.jpg

New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-57duvmtl.jpg
Old 12-08-2020, 02:56 PM
Launching!

IM BACKKKKKK, Ended up buying the car back from the guy I sold it too.

Its got no drivetrain, the ecu is gone, the rear end is sold, and most the cobra parts are gone... BUT it has the fuel system, a roll cage and full interior in it now.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-jlixqtqh.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-6cxw79ah.jpg

Gonna try and get this bad boy back on the road again. I actually sold this thing, bought a damn engagement ring with the money and had a fiance for about 2 months lol. Needless to say im glad i got it back.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

man what a roller coaster!

what are you going to do different this time around?
Old 12-08-2020, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dan95gst
man what a roller coaster!

what are you going to do different this time around?
Man you have no idea. Talking to Rob about it I am gonna make this one a street grudge/strip car. I have the 87 Monte Carlo that’s a protouring type build that will be my go to cruiser.

im thinking gen4 5.3 for now, forced inductions billet s480, powerglide, Holley Terminator X.

Car is already setup fuel wise to handle 1200+ crank HP, I’ll need to send another new edge length rear end out to Tin Soldiers Racing in northern Kentucky for a battle ready 8.8 kit to be installed. Had good luck with them and you can’t beat their service.

I already have FID 2200 injectors, Terminator X Max, gen 4 5.3 that was slated for the Monte Carlo, but this is taking precedence now.

I’ll need to find a powerglide, PPP Shifter, turbo, intercooler, driveshaft, radiator, and a couple other things to get it ready.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Burning
IM BACKKKKKK, Ended up buying the car back from the guy I sold it too.

Its got no drivetrain, the ecu is gone, the rear end is sold, and most the cobra parts are gone... BUT it has the fuel system, a roll cage and full interior in it now.

Gonna try and get this bad boy back on the road again. I actually sold this thing, bought a damn engagement ring with the money and had a fiance for about 2 months lol. Needless to say im glad i got it back.
I always loved the way this car looked. It was one of the nicest new edges I’ve seen built. Glad you got the car back, that was nice of the guy to take a slightly used engagement ring in trade hahaha. Just kidding, but seriously this should be pretty fun to rebuild. I’m in for the ride all over again!
Old 12-09-2020, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Me too, got it just the way i have always wanted and then sold it a week later lol. Bad part is I still have the damn ring because they wouldnt take it back!

It should be fun, im supposed to be picking it up sometime in the next two weeks. Its gonna be a slow start at first as i still need to get my Monte Carlo in paint. But after the Monte is in paint its game on!
Old 12-09-2020, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

+1 on the looks. its been the car ive said "i want mine to look like this". cobra bumper = cowl hood is such a good look.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

So, what is the story to what happened to it after you sold it?

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
So, what is the story to what happened to it after you sold it?

Thanks.
So i sold it back in September last year to a guy down in TN. He was going to completely redo the car and make it a no prep/grudge car. He took the Holley stuff out, took the 6.0 out and replaced it with a 6.2 and power glide with the same turbo setup. Somewhere early this year he lost interest in the car and wanted to shell it out for the time being, so the cobra trunk, rear and front bumpers, mirrors all went along with the turbo setup, the big brake kit got sold off as well. His nephew wanted the car sometime in September this year so he tried to lower the cost for him a little bit, that's when the rear end and cowl hood got sold off it. I actually tried to snag the rear end up from him when it went for sale but someone beat me to it. Saw the car get posted for sale on Facebook group im in and i immediately messaged him asking how much, he pretty much offered it to me almost 1k lower than what he was asking for on the post because i was the original owner.

So the car is pretty much as follows:

Exterior: Stock rear and front bumpers, wingless decklid, Kaeneen 5" bolt on hood, cobra side skirts, stock mirrors, 15x10 billet specialties street lites in the rear, VMS wheels in the front.
Interior: Fuse panel still there, all interior still there, has a 6 point cage in in now (ill modify this to a 10 point), has some new gauges unsure of what they are (all the Holley digital dashes are gone.)
Drive train: AJE K member still on it, power glide cross member, fox body width 8.8 (hes going to throw in 31 spline axles, spool, and c clip eliminators for free), and my entire fuel system is still in place from the Fore Fuel hat all the way up to the regulator.

So needless to say I got my work cut out for me, but it should be pretty easy to get it back to where it once was.

Future Plans:
Exterior: Replace all the stock parts back with Cobra parts. Change the bolt on hood to a hinged hood, don't know if ill go back to a 4" again or not. That thing was a pain in the *** to see corners with. Weld 17x4 alumistars up front, ill rock the billet specialties in the rear.
Interior: Kirkeys up front, convert the 6 point to a 10 point cage, Holley Pro 12.3 dash (already have this) don't know if it'll fit but im going to try like hell, rear seat delete, strip all the sound deadening out of it.
Drivetrain: Gen 4 5.3 for right now, ill build my backup block eventually, FI Billet s480, 1.80 Power glide, another Tin Soldiers Racing battle ready 8.8.

The ECU will be a Holley terminator for now, if i see the need for a dominator ill upgrade. This Terminator X Maxx was supposed to go into the Monte Carlo, ill reuse it in it if i upgrade. Im sure there is other stuff im forgetting.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Whats up guys, little bit of an update. Life is happening all so fast, my baby girl is now 14 weeks old and although i hate not being in the garage i cant replace time with my sweet girl.
Thought id show a couple pictures of what the car looked like when i got it.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-gtrgqtvl.jpg
Inside photos, i wish i could show you all the terrible welds and how unsafe this cage was (it got removed)
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-wlqpyafl.jpg

Also been gathering a small arsenal of parts lol.
.660 BTR Titanium retainer valve springs with shims
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-paaro8xl.jpg
BTR Shaft rocker kit
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-ipbnzfel.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-sums3uol.jpg
Moroso breathers (Used)
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-vukhoghl.jpg
FI Billet S488/96
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-1zdbh2sl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-am50an0l.jpg
Sitting next to my Gen3 VSR 7875
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-7fz96iyl.jpg
4" intercooler from Rob Dahms
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-vsmyrkwl.jpg
12.3 Pro Dash
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-baqzip5l.jpg

Also got a Team Z 10 Point chromoly cage, thru-floor subrame connectors, Holley Dominator ECU, Holley Hooker Turbo Manifolds, Codion chromoly Tubular Front End, Strange 10 Ways, 04 8.8 to send out to be built, Fore Triple 525 pumps, and a couple other small parts.

Decided to cut out the crap cage from the car as well as cut out all the wiring from my version of the car and what the last owner did to it so i could start over fresh.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-ipygolil.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-7evebjgl.jpg

Decided while i was that far, and i just parted a 04 GT out that i was going to go back to AC because street/race car lol. so i had to remove all my delete panels and weld up the holes.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-y9onkqgl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-mn5zsivl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-yxy7gr3l.jpg

Switched over to a hydro boost instead of vacuum as i had issues with the vacuum booster and had this one laying on the shelf.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-rcnojwrl.jpg

Then got bored and decided to cut the front end off because, why not?
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-xfjipfdl.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-d12xunol.jpg

That leaves me where i am right now. Soon as my tubular front comes in ill be mocking it up then the car will be going to my fabrication buddy to weld the connectors, cage and front end all up. I dont trust myself with moly and i needed the weight savings since im throwing AC back in it lol.

The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (05-20-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Got a couple of goodies in the mail this week.

Motion Raceworks 102mm ICON throttle body with super seal connection.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-6wgfjmdh.jpg

ShearerFab 1800HP intercooler with Holley Low Ram
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-ijzgxvqh.jpg

Ended up selling this one to my buddy since i got a even better deal on a 2000HP with integrated fabricated lid. Here it is mocked up on his car.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-8sask6sh.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-dobvqksh.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-ngm3vq7h.jpg

The replacement for my car.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-eaarlbhh.jpg

Finally got the car into the garage to mock up the front end that came in.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-9y0hbm6h.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-xwwk1kvh.jpg

Aligning some panels for final tab mounting.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-nxhqkyxh.jpg

Door gap is perfect, however the headlight alignment is not, so i am going to see if i need to brace the header panel up to twist the panels a bit.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-i7bryw9h.jpg
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-itrbbqeh.jpg

I will finish welding the front end up this week and start to locate the turbo and get the kit built possibly this weekend. Sent off some measurements to Ron Davis for a custom radiator setup to fit the car and be suiteable for HotRod drag week and Rock Mountain Raceweek. The rear end should be getting sent up to my fabricator in a couple of week as well. Time to see this project start making inches to the finish line.

Last edited by Burning; 06-29-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 543 Likes on 341 Posts

Great story and it sounds like this car is going to be a beast! Not sure what happened, but the pictures aren't showing for the last post you made.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Great story and it sounds like this car is going to be a beast! Not sure what happened, but the pictures aren't showing for the last post you made.
Let me know if that works.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Yup.... they're up!
The following users liked this post:
Burning (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 543 Likes on 341 Posts

Works now! That Motionworks TB is beautiful!

Quick Reply: New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56