Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Bus Conversion HS CAN >J-1850VPW

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteS160
It sounds like you have kept the stock pcm in place correct? If so all your looking to do is convert the tach data from the LS to a signal the stock jeep pcm can read on the crank/cam sensor input making the stock jeep pcm think it's running....correct ?

If so take a look at the patterns below and see if any of them fit what you would need. What I think your looking for is a WHOLE LOT SIMPLER then what I am currently working on.
/
correct!

this is really nothing in comparison to translation of all the signals from gen IV and newer PCM/clusters.

Jeep's crank has 3 groups of four pulses so I think none from the list would work.
from service manual:
There are 3 groups of four pulses generated
on 4.0L 6-cylinder engines.The trailing edge of the fourth notch, which causes the pulse, is four degrees before top dead center
(TDC) of the corresponding piston.

I appreciate your help

I think if you will produce user friendly plug and play chrysler/GM box there would be customers for sure
Old 02-13-2018, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

Made some progress today with a 2005 Silverado cluster in a 98 Tahoe....

Tach - Working
Speedo - Working
Odometer - Working
Temp Gauge - Working
Gas Gauge - Working
Battery Light - Working
Check Engine Light - Working
Turn Signals - Working
Abs Light - Working
Cruise Light - Working
Tow/Haul Light - Working
Dash Lights - Working
Air bag light - Believed to be working but truck has the air bags unhooked so impossible to tell Now working
Brake Light - Should be working, the truck does have a brake light on with the stock cluster and it's also on with the Silverado Cluster Now working

Oil Gauge - Not programmed or wired yet Oil pressure gauge is now working
Battery Gauge - Missing data still Voltage gauge is now working
Steering Wheel Control - Not connected and missing data ALL steering wheel controls are now working AND the oil life + Average fuel display are now working
Hi beam indicator - Need to change some hardware around Now working

And remember.... NO BCM IS BEING USED ! ! ! ! !

I was the happiest guy on the road last night (around 2am)........ I can promise you that

The following 3 users liked this post by PeteS160:
Diesel556 (12-12-2021), Thorwon (10-23-2021), Tranz Zam (03-12-2022)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome musical choice! lol.

Jay
Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guessing my last post was the mic drop for this topic?

Definitely not what I was expecting.........
Old 02-15-2018, 05:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

Nicely done on the entire project. Seriously, an enormous amount of reverse engineering effort. But, uhhh . . . . ummm . . . in keeping with more of an automotive theme, I was thinking maybe a little Metallica "Fuel" as the musical accompaniment song to your 2 AM video???

Rick
Old 02-15-2018, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Guessing my last post was the mic drop for this topic?

Definitely not what I was expecting.........
Naw man, we were all just going thru a shock-and-awe episode....
VERY impressive!
Old 02-15-2018, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats! That is *really* awesome

Doug
Old 02-16-2018, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

That is outstanding! I can't even begin to understand what it took to accomplish. Well done. Do you have any estimates on the pricing?

Personally I think this would be a fantastic alternative to the Dakota Digital swap gauges that people are using in Pro-Touring cars. Especially a first gen Camaro that you could pretty easily create a bezel to surround a stock cluster.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
Good job
Good job
Old 02-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Amazing work. This should have much more exposure. Maybe you can post elsewhere to get some missing hardware donated to you or to borrow for the next phases.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
That is outstanding! I can't even begin to understand what it took to accomplish. Well done. Do you have any estimates on the pricing?
I knew this was going to come up sooner or later.....

I'm not a good salesmen and am a terrible marketer.......But since I'm the only one I'll give it a shot.

Cost or price however you want to look at it is really going to depend on a number of factors. How much time I'm having to put in assembling the circuit boards plays a big part in that. How people are wanting it...bare bones full DIY hard wired install OR plug and play for vehicle specific setups also will play a HUGE factor in what it's going to cost. And how many "units" I was to ship at a time also factors into that.

Best case every one and their brother wants one and I literally can't build them by hand fast enough. Every one wins at that point since it means there would be enough demand to justify the cost of having them assembled in China.

There really is no worst case since I've been designing this as a modular system. I've thrown a quick design example together of how this works. I pulled numbers out of the air, I honestly have no idea what it would cost to build any of these as more then 1 off designs like what I use for prototyping. Again having to hand assemble the boards plays a big factor in what it would cost. If you want to start tacking on OEM connectors and things like that then the price is gonna keep going up. But at the same time if someone was feeling brave I'd be more then happy to ship you a bag full of parts that you build yourself

Using a system like this will not make it the smallest possible size but it does offer the best compromise of size, cost and flexibility. But if there was enough interest to have the boards machine assembled parts could also be switched to SMD stuff making it a fraction of the size of a comparable though hole part. Realistically something like this should be funded with something like Kick-starter or GoFundMe......but the automotive community's I see on most forums lead me to believe that it would have been pointless. But who knows, if I end up getting even 1/2 of the things working I have planned for this......then a campaign may become a possibility to make the stuff readily avaible. I'm working in uncharted territory so there's no telling where it'll go.
The following users liked this post:
Rolf Hansen (01-05-2021)
Old 02-16-2018, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silentbravo
Amazing work. This should have much more exposure. Maybe you can post elsewhere to get some missing hardware donated to you or to borrow for the next phases.
I've posted it a a couple of forums and in several of the larger Facebook groups. The automotive community is an odd bunch. If this was something Caraudio related, I know where to find EVERY Basshead outhere, if this was cell phone related once again finding the hot spots people hang out aren't hard. Even for video game stuff it's not hard to find the large common crowd. This forum is by far the most active and has been far more responsive to any of the work I've done then most forums or Facebook groups. The moment someone dives into something new people seem to get nervous...... I've been banned from more then one Facebook group for some of the work I've posted with Android pcm hacking and a couple of other groups have my posting privileges limited so that a mod has to approve every thing I post or comment on.
The following users liked this post:
Tranz Zam (03-12-2022)
Old 02-19-2018, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Do you need all 4 of those boards to make the cluster communicate to the ECU, or is one board meant for different applications?
Old 02-20-2018, 06:52 AM
12 Second Club

Great work man! I think this was brought up earlier in the thread, would this somehow work with Holley EFI? I have a 1998 Camaro z28 and will be using Holley HP EFI. I would like to use the stock gauges for cost savings. I know next to nothing about wiring btw.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I was shocked when I called around at what some of these late model clusters cost....
Just as a heads up, I have one of those high dollar clusters, and it was bad when I bought my truck, and I had to replace it. They are prone to fail, so supply and demand keeps the price high on them. What your doing I dont think has been done, and could be revolutionary in a way. Some hotrod and automotive shops around the globe are making almost all their income on LS swaps alone. They need and want solutions like these. I have a buddy who started working at a well known (award winning) shop simply because the owner NEEDED that younger guy with extensive LS experience bc thats what almost all his older customers wanted swapped in their "being restored" vehicles.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, GM had a lot of problems with the stepper motors in their clusters from 2003-06, IIRC. Not just in the trucks either. But the motors are pretty cheap and fairly easy to replace.

I've got 2 '03ish clusters that came with my donor, one of them is the 6 gauge cluster, and the other is a 7 gauge cluster with trans temp. Planning to use that one in my S10.

Jay
Old 02-25-2018, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

They had power supply issues also.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is getting back on track, after looking at a lot of disappointing vehicles I final found a Jeep that was worth the time and money to do this on. Before I tear the thing apart I'll "Try" to get it running with the stock driveling long enough to collect a couple minutes worth of data logs directly off the Pcm and between various modules on the vehicle. Worst case I'll yank the drive-line and wire up some signal simulators to the cranks, Cam and speed sensor to collect data logs to work from.

This is probably one of the few time's I'd actually spend the money on a "bolt in swap kit" if one actually existed....but of course no one makes a kit because it'll make this a deathtrap on wheels lol

I'll need an LS in this once I'm ready to start prototyping the hardware interface...I just need to decided if this is going to be something to showcase "swap workmanship" or if I'm gonna go full blown Sloppy Mechanics on this and do the entire swap in a single weekend with a torch and a welder. After all this is about making the stock electronics in the vehicle work with the Gm pcm not about just another swap project.

So the real question is now.....L59 or LQ9(I have both but somehow I feel the Lq9 would be a waste on this) And......can I make a truck intake and oil pan work
I'm already 99% sure I'll need to find a set of car manifolds.........I'd say headers but the only way I'd buy headers for an LS is if it had a T4 flange on the end on them
Attached Thumbnails Data Bus Conversion HS CAN >J-1850VPW-28504361_1747102768682712_534831032_o.jpg  
Old 03-03-2018, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I worked at a Chrysler/Jeep dealer when that body style Liberty came out. I always liked those little things. The 3.7 is pretty torquey on it's own. I had thought about getting one and doing a 4.7 swap, but if an LS based option were available, that might change things. lol

Jay
Old 03-03-2018, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayinMI
I worked at a Chrysler/Jeep dealer when that body style Liberty came out. I always liked those little things. The 3.7 is pretty torquey on it's own. I had thought about getting one and doing a 4.7 swap, but if an LS based option were available, that might change things. lol

Jay
I've only found information on 1 Ls swapped liberty online and it was more of an overview for a blog post then anything. Even looking on YouTube it's always Wranglers and Cherokee's. I'd have love to get my hands on a wrangler to do this with....but I don't have Wrangler money LOL. Lucky for me the 3.7's are junk and I've been able to find a ton of blown up Libertys.......just most of the time the body's are rotted off them. It';s been a good 15 years since or so since I hacked in an engine swap but I used to be able to put one in with my arc welder and 3 inch cutoff wheel in an afternoon working out of a dirt driveway

I'll be doing this on a hoist with a real torch and mig welder.....if only I was 25 again I'd have done the same night I brought it home

Quick Reply: Data Bus Conversion HS CAN >J-1850VPW