Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls3 f body alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls3 f body alternator

Need the guru hindsight before I make any changes.
Im pretty sure I have corvette crank pulley and water pump seeing that it sits closer to block then the alternator pulley when mounted (I read fbody is the middle between depths on trucks and cars) yayy me.

Soo if you look at the picture where I have it half *** mounted but with the dingo bracket between the alternator and the block; the pulley lines up perfectly.
So going to the picture with it mounted up correctly. ...has anyone just machined down those spacers in the back to get it properly aligned? And say if it is possible my idler pulley bolts to the dingo bracket right? If so may staying on the bracket plane wouldnt change its alignment; it aligns with the alternator pulley regardless because its not affected by the rear spacers long or short.
Please help lol

Old 07-07-2018, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

P’sFA: Needing motivation. Every corner I cross has been hell. I just keep moving on to find something else not right.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone make a kit/bracket that will move an fbody alternator to the passenger side?
Should i just modify this f body bracket spacers to line up with corvette crank pulley and grind the body to clear steering “knuckle” thing.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

I realllly dont wanna pull this pulley and water pump off. I need a solution so i can pull this and finish the bodywork.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't see why cutting down the spacers wouldn't work, but you would have to cut them all exactly the same or you could get some misalignment. That said, cant you just get the spacers in the right length from Dirty Dingo? I would think they would make a Corvette spacing bracket. As for the part hitting your steering u joint, you could grind it down a bit, but that's an awful nice polished alternator! You may be able to clock the back part of it to move the part hitting down a bit, but not sure you can do that without taking it all the way apart. I'm thinking it isn't clocked right anyway since the part sticking out is usually closer to the block, and it has a bracket that bolts to it and the block. You could get an older truck alternator (say '99-'02 or so) and they are the same without that extra part that is hitting.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Heavy steel bushing zinc 3/8 x 3/4 x 1/4 .. the spacer in front is just the bolt being to long now.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

It works just needs a shim under an 1/8. 3/8s was forward some and a 1/4 was just under. Put a shim on the 1/4 and its spot on now.

Quick Reply: ls3 f body alternator