Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First timer - 84 Camaro LR4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First timer - 84 Camaro LR4 swap

Hey guys, I have a swap I have been working on, fairly simple swap since I haven't done this before and don't have a lot of knowledge of the ls engines. I'm taking a "learn as you go" approach, so humor my ignorance, and help me figure out what I need for this engine.

Here's the swap:
1984 Camaro Berlinetta Auto to 4.8 LR4 from an 03 Silverado with 190k miles. I am planning to use the current 700r4 for now, with plans to convert to a t56 at a later date. I realize this will be extra work, but I don't have the money for the t56 right now in addition to all the swap parts. I will be doing everything myself, other than some machine work and powdercoating of some stuff as necessary. I am using the truck accessories and accessory drive, LS1 water pump w/ spacers, and LS6 intake. I have the 862 heads.

I think that's the basics for now, I will add some pics and such later but I have a few engine questions first. Given the mileage, I would like to rebuild/replace what I need for it not to blow up, with performance/durability upgrades where I can. I am planning to pull the heads, and either take them to a shop for a valve job (and remove a broken header bolt) or get some 243/799 heads if I can get a good enough deal. Should I go for the 243s, or how big of a difference will it make on a 4.8?

Other plans are to put in a new LS2 timing chain set in, LS7 lifters, and I would like to go ahead and do cam and springs while I'm in there. I'm just looking at doing LS6 springs and the LS6 cam or THIS one from SDPC. I'm certainly welcoming any other recommendations, I just want something relatively driveable that will be a fun driver. What do you think of these choices, or how much more aggressive of a cam can/should I go with on a 4.8 with 862s if I were to say I don't care as much about driveability and want more performance?
Old 08-17-2018, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,525 Posts

IF the truck was maintained somewhat decently, it should require nothing as far as rebuilding. Two things you might want to do; replace the timing chain with a new LS2 unit (it's the std. replacement) and a new oil pump. And of course any leaking gaskets and seals as long as it's apart. A stock set of 243/799's would add some power. They are now very common as they came on all GenIV 4.8/5.L truck engines.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Even with the mileage I wouldn't be shy to just throw it in as-is, but that's just me.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Teching In

So I guess I will add the oil pump to my to do list, should I just get the standard Melling pump or the high flow one? $60 vs $120. Does it make a difference? I will definitely do the timing chain as well. I'm needing to pull the heads because I broke off an exhaust bolt and can't get it myself, so I was going to take it to s shop and have them freshen the heads up and fix it for me. I'm not seeing too many 799/243s for sale around here and they are $400-500. If I could get the bolt out of the head I'd consider just leaving it alone and doing the timing chain and oil pump, and just doing all my power add-ons when I pull it out again for the t56 swap.

If I did cam, can I do that without removing the heads? I watched a youtube video last night with a guy sticking some dowel rods in the engine to keep the lifters from falling out. I could possibly see myself doing that now if I can get away with it.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mkearney86
So I guess I will add the oil pump to my to do list, should I just get the standard Melling pump or the high flow one? $60 vs $120. Does it make a difference? I will definitely do the timing chain as well. I'm needing to pull the heads because I broke off an exhaust bolt and can't get it myself, so I was going to take it to s shop and have them freshen the heads up and fix it for me. I'm not seeing too many 799/243s for sale around here and they are $400-500. If I could get the bolt out of the head I'd consider just leaving it alone and doing the timing chain and oil pump, and just doing all my power add-ons when I pull it out again for the t56 swap.

If I did cam, can I do that without removing the heads? I watched a youtube video last night with a guy sticking some dowel rods in the engine to keep the lifters from falling out. I could possibly see myself doing that now if I can get away with it.
I would get an standard replacement pump. Yes, you can swap the cam without removing the heads. Pick up a pair of aluminum dowels to slide in the block and hold the lifters like you said. I've done many cam swaps without using them, but it will only take one time to pay the price when a lifter does fall.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Sounds good, I'll take another crack at getting the stud out of the head before I pull it and take it somewhere. And I'll wait on the cam until I'm closer to getting the engine in. I still have some engine bay prep to do before I tear into the engine.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:40 PM
Teching In

I'm looking at cams again. What is a good recommendation for the 4.8 will pep it up pretty well? I still want a nice streetable car that's fun to drive. I'm having trouble finding a used ls6 cam and might rather get a new one anyway. What do you all think about the Summit Pro LS cams? What exactly is the difference in a "truck" cam and what would be the end result in my Camaro? Here's the two I was looking at from Summit, in addition to those mentioned above (which are a little more expensive, but not too much).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...make/chevrolet
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...make/chevrolet

Edit:
Also looking at this from TSP
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-5002-t...-camshaft.aspx

Last edited by mkearney86; 11-13-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the summit stg 2 truck cam for my c10 swap. I think they label them truck cams because they are designed with low end torque in mind instead of upper rpm power. Trucks typically need lower rpm power as they are heavier and are used for towing and or carrying a load.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

For the 4.8 I would recommend the TSP cam. The other 2 would lope and sound good, but would require a high stall converter, which really don't feel good on the street.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
For the 4.8 I would recommend the TSP cam. The other 2 would lope and sound good, but would require a high stall converter, which really don't feel good on the street.
im trying to look into this more, but can you elaborate on why the TSP is better for the reason you stated? Can I run it with the factory converter on my 700r4 just fine? Eventually I want to swap in a t56 so I was hoping to just bolt it up and go with the 700r4 for the time being.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's why I like the TSP cam. It will go in, give you a nice shot of power WITHOUT needing a high stall converter. It will only lope a bit, which could be toned down a lot thru the tune, which you should do anyway. The 4.8 is small enough to not need much cam to give it a nice boost in power.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:52 PM
Teching In

That's why I like the TSP cam. It will go in, give you a nice shot of power WITHOUT needing a high stall converter. It will only lope a bit, which could be toned down a lot thru the tune, which you should do anyway. The 4.8 is small enough to not need much cam to give it a nice boost in power.
gotcha. Also found a similar cam from summit that’s closer to the tsp in specs. The biggest advantage is it would save me about $150 vs the tsp. I just wonder if it’s worth the savings considering tsp has such a good reputation

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-8719
Old 11-13-2018, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get the Summit cam. It's made by either Cam Motion or TSP (I forget which) so you're safe either way! Summit has really upped their LS game lately. I would never hesitate to get either a Cam Motion or TSP cam
Old 11-13-2018, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Get the Summit cam. It's made by either Cam Motion or TSP (I forget which) so you're safe either way! Summit has really upped their LS game lately. I would never hesitate to get either a Cam Motion or TSP cam
Done! with the current discout ($26 off 250) and free shipping, came to $249.59 after tax. I can't find a whole lot about this cam online and the summit YT video on it is from October.

I'll be dropping my heads off at this machine shop this week for a valve job and cleanup. I think I have almost everything to get the engine together, and the car is sitting on all four wheels now with an empty engine bay. Fingers crossed for a year end startup.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mkearney86
Done! with the current discout ($26 off 250) and free shipping, came to $249.59 after tax. I can't find a whole lot about this cam online and the summit YT video on it is from October.

I'll be dropping my heads off at this machine shop this week for a valve job and cleanup. I think I have almost everything to get the engine together, and the car is sitting on all four wheels now with an empty engine bay. Fingers crossed for a year end startup.
Cool deal! Keep us posted!
Old 11-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Teching In

I got the cam yesterday, no sort of marking indicating who makes it.

Went to the machine shop the other day to talk about my heads (862s). $400 for a head job, a little more than expected so I'm debating if it's worth doing or if I'd be better off saving up and upgrading heads. He also recommended freshening up the bottom end, expressing concern for the fresh tightly sealed heads blowing out the piston rings. Should I just take it slow and fully rebuild? Thinking I'd have them put together the rotating assembly for me. Block hone is $300, not sure about the assembly. Would it be worth doing all this on the 4.8? and stock 4.8 with the cam I got, what should I do for the heads? I'm not opposed to getting something like the PRC stage 2.5 5.3 or LS6 heads but I don't know what would be a good combo with what I have so far. I would like to reuse all the stock bottom end parts if they can be cleaned up, and am open to turbo in the future so if I do rebuild the bottom I want to go ahead and make it stout enough.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Would I be better off just having the stock heads rebuilt since I already have them and save that head money somewhere else? Can I expect pretty good performance from the 862s with this cam and otherwise stock 4.8?
Old 11-16-2018, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I would just lap the valves yourself, that's all I did, my engine had unknown mileage, but it's high. Find someone with a mig welder to remove the broken stud, for 400.00, you can go buy a 5.3.

Stampede.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Better off flipping the motor upside down rather than fumbling with dowels and having a chance of a lifter falling into your crankcase on accident....
Old 11-16-2018, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

That lil 4.8 should do great with that cam in there on the factory 862 heads......throw it back together and send it!!!!!