Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well.....no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well.....no oil pressure

I was double checking my valves, and thought, hey.....ill check to make sure that o-ring I triple checked, while installing the 302-2 pan and everything else is making oil pressure.......its not.

Pulled oil filter.......no oil is even present in the galley going to the mechanical gauge. I made sure to fill the melling oil pump, the motor is a used 6.0, So they plugs are all installed (I double checked the pictures I took while it was apart).

Someone please tell me I can drop the 302-2 pan in the chevelle frame with the motor installed........... I know I'm out of luck........crap, the motor is going to have to come back out, isn't it.......
Old 10-05-2018, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to do this on my 67, due to the o ring issue (my fault). I can confirm, you will NOT pull just the pan. You can unbolt the headers, remove the mount bolts, and jack the engine and trans up with a hoist high enough to remove it though...
Old 10-05-2018, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,804 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Are you just turning it over with the starter?
Old 10-06-2018, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Just using the starter
Old 10-06-2018, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by 461rat
Just using the starter
With the spark plugs in or out? If they are in pull them and try again. They don't always turn over fast enough with the plugs in to pump and It may take longer than you think to see pressure.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
With the spark plugs in or out? If they are in pull them and try again. They don't always turn over fast enough with the plugs in to pump and It may take longer than you think to see pressure.
what he said, ive never had an ls motor make oil pressure while cranking, it even takes 2/3 seconds after its running, I freaked out too, just started mine up and crossed my fingers, oil pressure shot up to 50 in about 2 seconds
Old 10-06-2018, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Well, after pretty much pulling the motor, I got the motor high enough to be able to drop the pan......just enough to be able to remove the oil pump pickup tube. The o-ring was not pinched, and it was the one that Holley recommended for the install. So I put it back in.......still no oil pressure.....

I tried another o ring (black one from melling) still no pressure.....

As a last resort, I pulled the plug on the side of the motor, and poured oil directly into the the oil pump......... It worked.......but it also pushed oil back through the hose and all over the place!!

So, lesson learned, trust your work, try the easy stuff first. (thought I did, but didn't know about the direct line to the oil pump) Now I have a lot of work to get the car back together.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:49 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,099 Posts

That’s a lot of work to find you were right. Lesson learned. And always pre-fill your oil filters.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Oil filter was filled. I also primed the pump when I installed it, but that was 2 months ago. The pump was cavatating, the best I can figure, since nothing else worked, until I poured oil into that plug in the side of the block.

I cranked the motor, quite a bit between all the o-rings and before I even attempted to swap the o-ring, hoping it would eventually get oil pressure.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You primed it 2 months before you tried cranking it? Is that what I’m reading here?
Old 10-07-2018, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
You primed it 2 months before you tried cranking it? Is that what I’m reading here?
I meant the oil pump when it was installed was filled. But yes, I did not prime the oiling system, when I was checking for oil pressure. On older engines, that I am accustomed to, it is advisable to prime them, but not 100% nessasary, and I usually get oil pressure within 20-30 seconds. With this set up, I was expecting the same, but after numerous 20-30 second cranks.... I had zero oil pressure on my mechanical gauge.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,039 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Prime it, then right away try to start it. Once started, pressure should build up within seconds.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

That's a problem! Have you found an answer yet?
Old 10-09-2018, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 461rat
I meant the oil pump when it was installed was filled. But yes, I did not prime the oiling system, when I was checking for oil pressure. On older engines, that I am accustomed to, it is advisable to prime them, but not 100% nessasary, and I usually get oil pressure within 20-30 seconds. With this set up, I was expecting the same, but after numerous 20-30 second cranks.... I had zero oil pressure on my mechanical gauge.
It may be best to prime an LS engine but I've assembled with assembly lube and oil and started it up with just the stock oil pressure sensor which is electronic and foolish IMO. I prefer mechanical gauges to monitor the engine and if you trust yours is correct then somethings wrong with the installation or something, Keep us posted!
Old 10-09-2018, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

This is my first LS build, and I believe I may be used to an "older" way of doing things. It now has oil pressure when being cranked over. For what its worth, this is not what I would have normally done, (double check for oil pressure by cranking engine over) but due to replacing oil pump, and cam, lifters, front and rear covers, oil pan, and pick up, I heard the issues with the o-ring being pinched, and thought for sure, thats what had happened.

It turned out to be nothing more, than needing to prime the oil pump, and probably just needing a lot more cranking than what I was obviously comfortable with.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

When I have my engines on the stand, upside down, I will pour fresh oil into the pick up tube until the oil pump is full, or until oil starts coming out of the filter feed hole, or oil pressure sending unit hole. Then, put the pan on, and flip the engine right side up. Then, fill the oil filter with oil and screw it onto the engine block. Then, I put a funnel into the oil pressure sending unit hole. I put tape on the end of the funnel so that it makes a seal with the threads for the oil pressure sending unit hole. . Then with all of the lifters in place-fill the funnel with fresh engine oil. You will have to keep refilling it as the level goes down. Keep doing this until you have dumped at least 5.5 quarts of oil into the funnel. Yes, the engine may be over-filled when you are done but this is "break-in" oil and that does not really matter. I have had every engine I've built generate oil pressure within 30 seconds of firing this way. This is the next best method to pressurizing oil through the oil pressure sending unit hole.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy one of these

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Ga...2HDX/207202422

pick any galley plug (we use the one on the oil pan with a fitting that would feed a turbo) and pump it with oil till it comes out of all the rockers