Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another '72 short bed build....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Kharp
Eric I've been lurking on your build and admiring your work. I believe you are approaching Kwhizz speed on this one! Enjoying the stories behind your build. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and details! Kharp
Thanks Keith, I think it will be done in under a year, but I definitely wont be doing any more this fast, it takes a lot of the fun out of it!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
LS1nova71,
What are you painting these small pcs with? How long does it take you to clean your spray gun? I would assume doing a though job would be time consuming and a major pain in the ***. Do you paint the alum. radiator with anything special paint wise? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to learn.
It depends on the part as to what it gets painted with. I try to paint most of the parts with good catalyzed enamel or urethane from a paint gun, but there are small parts that are not easily seen with spray cans. It is time consuming, but cleaning the gun isn't all that hard, although I don't always clean them as well as I should. I have some guns I use for just primer and others just for small parts, so they don't have to spray as well as one you would use for an overall paint job. The aluminum radiator was painted with Variprime first which is an etching primer, then followed by a urethane primer then painted with Dupont (Axalta) Centari.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Been a while since I updated this, so, let me see where I left off....
I mounted the later model parallel flow condenser with some custom brackets, but its a bit small for the opening in the core support. Not sure how much air would bypass the condenser if left this way, and it may not be a significant amount, but I didn't like the way it looked anyway.....

So I made up a filler panel. The day I was going to make it up I had forgotten to go to the metal supply store so I dug out a piece of sheet metal I had saved out of a junk '72 truck hood, so its actually a '72 truck part. LOL!

Cleaned up and painted....

It matches the powder coating on the core support pretty well, so you don't really notice it.

Mounted the old charcoal canister to the air cleaner mount. Only really using it as a big gas tank vent, but it works well and you don't get any gas fumes from it.

Mounted to the core support and inner fender you cant see it once installed.

Got some heater hoses from the auto parts store and I don't care for the writing they put all over these things.

So a quick wipe down with some lacquer thinner makes them look much better.

Now for a bit of a rant........ I am so over winter this year! I wont be making my next deadline of March due to the weather completely not cooperating! We have had more snow this winter than about the last 5 or so combined, so it makes moving the truck out to get other things done in the garage that I cant do with a freshly painted truck in there, almost impossible. I mean, this is just stupid weather.......

Old 02-19-2019, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

So while it's snowing outside, I tinkered a bit in the cab. Made a mount for my Sirius/XM radio. Maybe I'm getting intolerant in my old age, but commercial radio is just that anymore, all commercials! I love this radio and have a dock for it in all my cars and also the garage.

Mounted the antenna on the dash in the center of the speaker grille.

Got my CARS Inc seat cover. It's not the cheapest cover you can get, but they are the only company that makes the correct cover for a Custom Deluxe truck, not that 99% of the people would know the difference. For years all you could get were Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super covers which are alright if that what you're building, but I like this cover way more.

. Had the local upholstery shop install it. They fixed the bottom cushion so it sits real nice and doesn't have the lean to it that a lot of these trucks have. Not sure what's up with that pic, it looks a little janky in it, but is fine in real life.

Once it stopped snowing and I was able to pull the truck out for a bit, I started on the hood. Its not the original hood since it had a dip in the center that was probably caused by someone saying "Hey, put the kids on the hood of the camper so I can get a picture" since it was originally a motorhome.

Once it was stripped and a few minor dings fixed, it was primed in high build primer, then a guide coat added so you can see what you're working with when sanding.

Then a lot of block sanding. 90% of a good paint job is in the preparation.

Then a good coat of urethane primer.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you have your charcoal canister connected? Are you using the solenoid valves to handle the fumes or just straight hosed throughout?
Old 02-21-2019, 03:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueMaxCougar
How do you have your charcoal canister connected? Are you using the solenoid valves to handle the fumes or just straight hosed throughout?
it really isnt hooked up the way its supposed to be. I'm only using it for a gas tank vent, so it just has one line hooked to the tank. It loops up in the back of the cab B pillar so there's no way fuel can get in it.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously?! This is so awesome! I wish my truck wasn't my daily driver so I could do this much work to it! Still collecting parts to do my swap.

Who do you suggest to do my drive shaft? What changes will I have to do (if any) to do a 1 piece shaft and get rid of my carrier bearing (long bed)? I'm just afraid it's going to hit the cross member.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
it really isnt hooked up the way its supposed to be. I'm only using it for a gas tank vent, so it just has one line hooked to the tank. It loops up in the back of the cab B pillar so there's no way fuel can get in it.
Thanks.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel you on this stupid weather, while we don't have the snow to deal with, its rain this year. Seems like it is always raining, when it stops its not even long enough to get things dried out good before it starts again.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

So you think you have snow. Just got back from 10 days in HI. Left in a snow storm and missed the latest snow storm by one day. 10 inches of new snow in the drive way. But the Wrangler LS6 plow Jeep came to the rescue. More snow tomorrow and Saturday. Older pic no less snow.

But I digress. ls1nova71 on one thing that I did on my 68 C10 top radiator clamps was grind off the stock radiator shroud mounts for a cleaner look. Also filled in the end of the clamps that face towards the grille. I am running a electric fan so no need for the stock plastic shroud.
Great project by the way.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jennings0418
Seriously?! This is so awesome! I wish my truck wasn't my daily driver so I could do this much work to it! Still collecting parts to do my swap.

Who do you suggest to do my drive shaft? What changes will I have to do (if any) to do a 1 piece shaft and get rid of my carrier bearing (long bed)? I'm just afraid it's going to hit the cross member.
I have never messed with a long bed, so not sure about the driveshaft. I would think that if the truck was lowered and not used to haul much you would be alright, but I would just use the 2 piece one. If you need it shorter, all you have to do is have the front part shortened.

Originally Posted by BlueMaxCougar
Thanks.
No problem.

Originally Posted by aggie91
I feel you on this stupid weather, while we don't have the snow to deal with, its rain this year. Seems like it is always raining, when it stops its not even long enough to get things dried out good before it starts again.
Yeah, rain gets old too, but I'd take it over snow, you don't have to kill your back shoveling rain. LOL!

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
So you think you have snow. Just got back from 10 days in HI. Left in a snow storm and missed the latest snow storm by one day. 10 inches of new snow in the drive way. But the Wrangler LS6 plow Jeep came to the rescue. More snow tomorrow and Saturday. Older pic no less snow.

But I digress. ls1nova71 on one thing that I did on my 68 C10 top radiator clamps was grind off the stock radiator shroud mounts for a cleaner look. Also filled in the end of the clamps that face towards the grille. I am running a electric fan so no need for the stock plastic shroud.
Great project by the way.
Oh, I know there are places that get more snow, but that doesn't make me feel any better! Haha! As for Hawaii, that's better weather for sure, but absolutely some of the worst traffic I have ever driven in in my life, and I've been to LA, Chicago, and Atlanta to name a few!!!

Old 02-22-2019, 06:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, you make it look so easy...looks great as always.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

On my 68 C10 SWB I went with a one piece drive shaft. I'm running a LS1/T56 combo. My rev limiter is set at 6200 so the drive shaft shop recommended a 3.5" diameter shaft. Due to the length of the T56 and my 6" rear drop the drive shaft gets close to the opening in the trailing arm cross member. I ended up opening it up a bit for more clearance.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I just went through this with a buddy's 1964 LWB truck that we put a LT1 (1995) and 4L60E trans in we ended up with a single drive shaft 56 inches long center to center on the bearing caps, Works great..
Old 02-23-2019, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Once it stopped snowing and I was able to pull the truck out for a bit, I started on the hood.....
While I was working on the hood with the truck outside, it didn't start snowing........ But it did start some freezing rain ice combo crap. Wasn't supposed to start until later on and in a garage with no windows, I didn't realize it was happening.....

Did I mention I hate winter?

But after all that, I was able to actually get the hood and the last few parts that needed to be painted light yellow painted.

It was dark and cold outside, so no fear the neighbor would see or smell this. Ha!

Then while I was waiting for the paint on the hood to cure long enough that it could be cut and buffed, which is a LOT longer in the winter in a cold garage than in the summer, (imagine that ) I started putting the grille together.

Dumb little parts like this have really gone up in price lately it seems, but cant put the original cracked one back on it...

All assembled and ready to go back on the truck.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I take it you and the neighbor aren't on the best of terms....
Old 02-23-2019, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have the same Mastercool 71475 tool as GoFast to do the end of your lines?
Old 02-25-2019, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 79LS1FOX
I take it you and the neighbor aren't on the best of terms....
Oh, you have no idea. I have lived here for about 17 years, and she's been a pain in the *** for 16 of them. Had the city called on a car in my driveway, a bone stock '71 nova, not a piece of junk, the electric company called because she says my compressor makes her lights dim when it comes on, the fire department called because the paint fumes are making her sick, the police called because I make too much noise, etc. Just a bunch of BS from someone with nothing else to do. She will sometimes get into knock down drag out fights with her sons, cussing them out, the whole nine yards. Oh, and I didn't mention that one of those sons, who is basically just in and out of jail, used to pick on me in junior and high schools, so to me they're just losers. If I had known it was them who lived there, I would never have bought this house. But, hopefully I will be moving in the very near future.
Originally Posted by 4EyedTurd1
Do you have the same Mastercool 71475 tool as GoFast to do the end of your lines?
Yes, I'm pretty sure he has the same one.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I feel your pain, when I was a young man I lived in an apartment above an elderly woman, she was really nice for the first couple of years but then got dementia and then all hell broke loose she used to call the cops on me all the time, I raped her I stole all her clothes, her car, locker her out of her apartment etc etc, she would call the fire dept about cats stuck in a tree, it was just pitiful, I tried dealing with her next of kin but they were just hoping she would pass so they could inherit everything. I finally got married and now I have a house in the country and no close neighbors! Good luck finding a place where you can work in peace, you are a very talented individual, and I admire your work.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I wish there was a way to screen neighbours before you buy a new house. I've met some crazies but yours tops them all, she should get a #1 ribbon!
We had a lady with dementia next to us when I was young. She would randomly stand in the door and scream at nothing until the cops or fire department came. Really sad way to go.
I would like a couple acres for the same reason. Nothing massive I can't care for, just enough room to do my thing.

The flare tool is a beast, once you understand how it works you get perfect flares every time. It's also portable so it can be done on the vehicle for repairs. Absolutely worth the money if you're into these sort of things.

Speaking of bu!!$#!t cold... how do you like your hanging heater? Russel and I were talking about it. My place has been cold as... well cold.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

If my neighbor wasn't in her right mind, I could understand it, but she definitely is not, she just likes to complain, and apparently she raised her kids to be just as pathetic, but I digress....

The heater actually works pretty well, but i did also insulate the ceiling at the same time i installed it.