Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 - First gen Camaro- accessories

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 - First gen Camaro- accessories

Hello gents. I’ve been lurking around for a while, learning as much as I can. I’ve done a bunch of searching and I’ve read through many threads and I’m not finding the answers I’m looking for. I got an LS3 and TR6060 out of a 2013 Camaro that I’m putting in a 68 Camaro. I’m certainly not as skilled as many of you guys but I’ve got some good people helping me out. Here’s my question... I’ve decided that I want to keep the AC compressor and alternator mounted low. And while I’m certainly not qualified to do much fab work at all, I’ve got someone who is very good willing to help. I know that when I start test fitting things these questions will answer themselves but I want to be as prepared as possible. If we’re already willing and capable to notch the frame, is there any reason the factory compressor and alternator brackets won’t work?

Thank you for your help. I’m looking forward to posting a build thread in the future.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-27-2019, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

I believe most have used 4th gen Camaro accessories. Keeps the alt down low. I don't think the low mount ac compressor will fit without major notching of the frame. Most mount up high on the right side cylinder head. 4th gen oil pan. Check clearance on the steering and pitman arm to oil pan.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
I believe most have used 4th gen Camaro accessories. Keeps the alt down low. I don't think the low mount ac compressor will fit without major notching of the frame. Most mount up high on the right side cylinder head. 4th gen oil pan. Check clearance on the steering and pitman arm to oil pan.
Yeah, I’m planning on notching the frame. I guess I’m just curious if most guys that have done this are using the factory bracket or if there’s another option that would make the job easier. I’ve got Hooker motor mounts and a Holley oil pan. I’ll probably start test fitting and taking measurements for the notch this weekend.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Alan Groves makes a low mount A/C bracket that keeps the compressor about as tight to the motor as it can be. But it's for the typical Sanden compressor - if you're using the GM unit I don't think it works. I used the Grove mount and an ICT low Alt. mount on mine. With struts, I didn't have to worry about subframe clearance.

Attachment 713137
Old 03-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Alan Groves makes a low mount A/C bracket that keeps the compressor about as tight to the motor as it can be. But it's for the typical Sanden compressor - if you're using the GM unit I don't think it works. I used the Grove mount and an ICT low Alt. mount on mine. With struts, I didn't have to worry about subframe clearance.

Very cool, thanks Michael. That compressor does look a little closer to the block than mine.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Well I put the motor in for the first test fit yesterday and realized that it will be impossible to mount the compressor low. At least with the Hooker motor mounts I’m using that is. Time to come up with another plan. I’m thinking that I’ll forget about the AC for now, that’s money I can spend elsewhere anyway. And I’ll definitely still need to notch the frame for the alternator.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

It's been done many times and being that 1st gens are a popular swap there are lots of articles on the subject if you do a web search.
Like Camaro and Firebird LS Swap: Front-Drive Accessory Guide

And plenty of swap components that make swaps simple. Like Holley's 1967-69 GM F-Body LS Swap Components

One thing to keep in mind is that many headers were built to fit for these swaps but need matched motor mounts to place the engine in the correct position to fit correctly.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
It's been done many times and being that 1st gens are a popular swap there are lots of articles on the subject if you do a web search.
Like Camaro and Firebird LS Swap: Front-Drive Accessory Guide

And plenty of swap components that make swaps simple. Like Holley's 1967-69 GM F-Body LS Swap Components

One thing to keep in mind is that many headers were built to fit for these swaps but need matched motor mounts to place the engine in the correct position to fit correctly.
Thank you for the reply. That’s exactly why I went with the Hooker/Holley stuff. I was just planning on figuring out a way to make the factory AC compressor and alternator work in a low mount configuration. But from what I can tell the compressor won’t work. The motor mount is in the way. And the instructions from Hooker say as much. My dumb a** just didn’t notice that before. No big deal. I can do without AC. Now we’ll just get to doing the notch for the alternator.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Most of these I’ve seen just mount the A/C high on the passenger side.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Most of these I’ve seen just mount the A/C high on the passenger side.
If I end up doing it at some point it looks like that will be the best option. I just got it in my head a long time ago that I didn’t want it up there and I suppose I’m just being stubborn about it now.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I can understand that for sure. Also understand how the frame is even more stubborn.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

The Holley low-mount A/C and ALT/PS accessory brackets can be installed at the truck offset position. That characteristic, combined with the Holley low-mount A/C compressor bracket being designed for use with the smaller Sanden SD7B10 compressor, may permit you to more easily obtain your goal of running low mounted accessory drive components in your application.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The Holley low-mount A/C and ALT/PS accessory brackets can be installed at the truck offset position. That characteristic, combined with the Holley low-mount A/C compressor bracket being designed for use with the smaller Sanden SD7B10 compressor, may permit you to more easily obtain your goal of running low mounted accessory drive components in your application.
I hadn’t considered the Holley brackets before because I figured if I’m going to notch the frame anyway then it would be silly to spend the extra money. But I wasn’t planning on the motor mount being in the way of the factory AC bracket. After you suggested it I found a diagram of the Holley bracket and it looks to me like it will work. I’ll cross my fingers and give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2019, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Since reading your reply I remembered that I have some CAD models that I can use to be able to determine if the Holley low-mount A/C bracket will clear the Hooker Blackheart right side engine mounting bracket. That will at least let you know those two components will play nice together before you commit to ordering parts.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Teching In

That would be great! It looks to me like it would definitely work in the “long alignment” but that it will be be very close in the “middle alignment”. I’m hoping the middle will work, that way I don’t have to change the water pump.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I should be able to confirm it sometime tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

I have been able to confirm that the Holley low-mount A/C compressor set-up is compatible for use with the Hooker Blackheart 1st-gen F-Body LS swap engine brackets when run at the truck FEAD offset only; it will not install at the F-body or Corvette offsets (experiences interference with the right side engine bracket at those offsets). The attached image depicts the relationship of the engine bracket and the A/C set-up at the truck spacing.

Last edited by Toddoky; 03-05-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Thank you very much for checking on that for me.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Sure, no problem.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you will still need the frame notched , Toddoky is an awesome asset to us on this forum
The first ls swapped vehicle I saw back in the day was a 69 camaro , same subframe as a 68 , speed and performance had done alot of the work , it had a low mount ac compressor and a large sub frame cut and reinforcement