Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do a lot of people do swaps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do a lot of people do swaps?

To me if you can find a manual V6 that's pretty nice and cheap, why wouldn't you get that and put an already built ls1 in? Is it hard to do? Wouldn't that save on insurance, too? If they had a V6 it would probably be a little less likely to be beaten on?
Old 03-26-2003, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Do a lot of people do swaps?

The price you save on insurance would be eaten up tenfold by the cost to do the swap. For instance, it might save you a few hundred a year in insurance, but it will cost you more than a few thousand to do the swap.

The only time a swap is really a good idea is if you're putting it into a different type of car (such as how John put an LS1 into his Monte Carlo SS or how Nineball is putting one into his 69 Camaro) Otherwise you're better off just saving yourself a bunch of headaches by just buying an f-body with the LS1 already in it.

For about two seconds I thought about getting an LS1 put into my 95 Formula, but in the end it would end up costing me thousands more than to just trade up to a 98+ F-body, plus my car would be out of commission for a while too.