Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lt1 to ls1 swap help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lt1 to ls1 swap help

well..ive been searching and searching..and searching some more..trying to decide if i want to go forward with the ls1 swap on my 94TA..im trying to find out exaclty all the details before i attempt it..so for ive got that im going to buy an ls1 k-member,probably go with the ls1 gas tank and lines,already emailed speartech about harnesses and am awaiting a response. My questions come here...first off if your wondering why i dont just build an lt1 here is why..i already have a set of ported heads,good cam,ls6 intake,built 4l60e tranny sitting on my floor..was gonna put it into my 98 but thinking about the 94 instead..(hard top car). the interior etc..is in great condition. my questions comes with the drivetrain and accessory system. if i want to put the ls1 with the ls1 4l60e, where can i get the crossmember? ive heard the lt1 crossmember is diffferent so who makes one..remember i will have a factory ls1 k-member or tubular one. Next is the driveshaft..the stock a4 driveshaft is still in the car as well as the stock ten bolt..everything is still there..im guessing i cannot use this or not? and last (well for today) is the accesssory system..if i go with just the standard ls1 accessory system...ac,pwr steering ,alt etc...will it all fit? i mean physically i dont think there are any diffrences in the frame width correct? i plan on getting a ls1 steering rack and lines etc..speaking of that will i need a steering shaft as well? like i said all of the lt1 stuff is still in and bolted up..there is just no motor or tranny in it. also about the ac, i plan on getting a whole ls1 ac system so it should go on no problmes right as long as i replace it all? im sure ill have many more questions...i would really really really aprreciate it, if someone has doen the swap to email me some of the details...im just tryiing to decide if its worth the time or not... mattg80@***.net. i was going to just put all this stuff on my 98 but ive already had it apart once and since i put it back to stock..it would be a good candidate for the sale barn and could focus my money on the hardtop and going wayy faster than my vert,.
matt
Old 06-17-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 93 formula and have just about finished the swap. Mechanically, the swap is done...just need to hook up some wires and hoses etc. Anyway, I did the m6 and I believe the only diffuculty you will have with the a4 is the tranny mount. If you switch out the full ac system it should work but I'm doing the ls1/lt1 ac so I need the ends of the ac lines grafted. BTW, search "lt1 to ls1" and you'll find similar posts on this which is how I got started. Oh, and not trying to take away from speartech but check out lt1350.com and he does the same thing on the wire harness for like $200 total....thats who I went with AND he sent it back to me 2 days after he got it....speartech said 3 to 4 weeks.... You'll have to get the pcm recalibrated and vats/cags eliminated for the car to start up. Also,:engine, wire harness, ls1 k member, ls1 steer rack and shaft linkage, accesories, ls1 radiator, ls1exhaust/headers, and some cables and hoses. Instead of changing out the whole fuel system I recommend going to gmpartsdirect and ordering the 97 vette fuel rail and regulator ~$220. And you don't have to change anything else. I got a heck of a deal on the motor/tranny and the labor for the swap and I'm still at $5K+. So I would say it's worth it if you can stand for your car to be down for the next 2-3 weeks or more and have the dough. Let me know if you have any ?s. Later
Old 06-18-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks very much for the long post..im still trying to decide if i want to go through with it..with the ac do you just use the ls1 compressor and use the lt1 condenser etc...also with the harness...i would just mount my ls1 computer and hook up all the ls1 stuff and the stock fuel pump etc.. will work normally..also what about the guages...sorry i have searched alot and couldnt find exactly what i wanted..like i said all i would need is really the shortblock and some little things here and there..steering linkage etc...i pretty much have a good start on the parts..just want to make sure i have everything beforehand..down time is no problem..my 94 is a spare car..i still have my truck and 98 car to drive.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes you would use the ls1 compressor, the lt1 compressor won't bolt up to the ls1 block, and yes you just use the lt1 condenser up front. The point of having the engine wire harness redone is so that from the windsheild back everything lt1 will work normally. Concerning the gauges, the speedo will work fine but you'll have to go to dakota digital and buy a "tack adaptor" or else the rpms will read way low. Luckily I have a hayabusa to ride around on while I get my car sorted out. In the long run I think you'll be better off going for the ls1 as the lt1 aftermarket has nearly come to a halt while the ls1/ls2 aftermarket is cranking new mods out everyday. That's why I switched anyway. Also because of the stinkin optispark. I had it replaced then 2500mi later it's misfiring already....screw that! Also if you need a mailorder pcm tune I have a great hookup so let me know. Later

Quick Reply: lt1 to ls1 swap help