Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used the LS1 gauge cluster in thier conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used the LS1 gauge cluster in thier conversion??

I have the complete 98 z28 donor car including the wiring that plugs in under the passenger side of the dash, and going up to the factory camaro gauge cluster.

What does it take to keep this cluster and make it work?? Is it just plugging into the engine harness? that would be great because I could just fabricate the gauge cluster into my dash and save alot of money in not having to get a bunch of autometer gauges to replace the factory gauges

(the ls1 is in my 89 lx 5.0 mustang).
Old 07-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Teching In

yeah I'm attempting the same thing in my swap, 98 LS1 out of TA into a 1979 TA. I've been measureing it up and I think the biggest problem is the size of it compared to the size of my dash opening. I think I'm gonna pull everything stock out of there on the 79, and fab up some brackets so that the new cluster will be leaned back slightly to fit the profile I need. but other than that it should be plug-and-play.

let me know if you get anywhere with yours
Old 07-24-2005, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

There's more to it than "plugging it into the engine harness", in fact the engine harness doesn't even go to the dash cluster. I am looking at the same concept but opted to buy a complete body harness with all the under dash wiring and body control module.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

find a wiring diagram for the pinout on the cluster plug and you should be set to go. Im doing the same thing with a c5 cluster. However its more complicated because the vette gets its oil pressure and some other stuff straight from its pcm.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Banned

Do you know if the pinout just has you tap into several of the engine harness wires?

Can I just trim out the gauge cluster part of the under dash harness and just use the wiring to/from the gauge cluster to the engine harness?
Old 07-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Restricted User

I used all wiring from 99 Z ,BCM also on my 76
Old 07-24-2005, 10:21 PM
Teching In

yeah I may have misread or misunderstood, I have an ENTIRE wiring harness from my donor car, engin and body harness, I actually have an entire body harness from an 02 SS also which I'm planning on using if I needed some connections I didn't have included with my 98 harness mostly my 98 harness didn't have an OBDII portand I want that. I haven't started into it but with all that you should be able to plug the gauges right in. right?

Quick Reply: Has anyone used the LS1 gauge cluster in thier conversion??