Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 02:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges help

Ok I'm back, working on the LS1/T56 into the 2nd gen T/A, I have the original gauge cluster from my donor car but it looks so crappy in my vehicle, I like the old school round gauges. My question is does anyone know a cool set of gauges or component gauges that will plug in or that I can wire into my LS1 harness but won't totally break the bank either?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:18 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

reuse your stock 2 gen fuel, voltmeter, oil pressure, temp, and tachometer. Fuel and volts will work fine, use your stock oil pressure sending unit on the C5 vette oil pan mount(drill and tap the mount), put your stock temp sending unit in the head with adapters or I am going to try turning mine down to fit the 12mm x 1.50 thread in the head. have your tach output signal ecm pin 10 reprogrammed to a V8 signal. For your speedometer search "autometer speedometer" on e-bay there is a place selling old time style gauges with mechanical odometer readouts for $35.00 They are electronic gauges though so they wire up to the ls1. use it like it is or put the guts behind your face and recalibrate your face to match the speedo for that sleeper look
Old 08-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so say I do get these new gauges, can the values still be reprogrammed when I get my PCM updated with my rear end ratios and tire sizes etc.? Also will these come with a wiring diagram? I've wored up all kinds of stuff but a diagram always helps with somehting new. I really like the 5" pro-comp tach and speedo.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:02 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was saying you could reuse all of your stock 2nd gen T/A gauges except for the speedometer because there is no mechanical output on the trans. The aftermarket speedometer would have to be spliced directly into the VSS wires. If you are trying to install all aftermarket gauges they should come with directions, the fuel, and volt gauges would install the same no mater what motor you use, the oil pressure and water temp would also be the same no mater what engine since you would use the senders that came with the gauges, you may have to use a metric to american thread adapter kit available at autobarn.com but otherwise the same as any other small block chevy. If you used a aftermarket tach you can skip reprogramming the tach signal in the computer and just buy a 4 CYL tach or set the switch in the tach to the 4 cyl position.