Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 shifter repositioning Q

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 shifter repositioning Q

Anybody out there sell a shifter repositioning kit for the T56?

I'm considering a 5.3 or 4.8 swap into my 1983 supra [one of these days] I'm not to keen on the I6 twin turbo engine issues and maintanence and would prefer the torque laden V8. I would prefer the T56's strength and .5 OD over the stock w58 trans and a conversion bell housing(the lowest diff tru trak makes is a 3.58). The stock shifter on the w58 is near the bell housing, I've noticed the T56 is near the tail shaft...
And as long as we are on the subject, does any one know of an already made conversion bell housing for the Ls series engine and a toyota w58 or r154 5 spd transmissions that came in the MK1 and MK2 supras?
Anyone have the size spec's on a T56, still dont know how much if any trans tunnel refabbing will be needed.
Thanks in advance for any information.
Cheers
Brian G
Old 08-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.keislerauto.com/home.html sells as an option when you buy their transmission, a relocated shifter (towards the front). Apparently it involves disassembling the transmission to some degree and cutting the shifter linkage rod and then moving the shifter mechanism ahead. Then the transmission gets re-assembled. Not a job for the average mechanic.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

You won't need to relocate the shifter, it'll sit about 3 inches farther back than the stock W58 location. The transmissions are actually very similar in size, the trans mount is within an inch and even the motor mounts will line up very closely, at least into a 85 Celica. The only spec I couldn't find was diameter of the transmission to compare it to my W58. I'm going to pick up a LS1/T56 combo today so if you have any questions on size or just how the swap is going you can let me know. As for rear end stuff you can get a 3.42 rear end out of the 2wd pickup trucks, that's what I have with a Trutrac LSD. This is the same ratio that came stock on the Camaro/Firebirds but it will actually be a little shorter due to our slightly smaller tire size.
If you want to use your stock W58 you can get a premade bellhousing from these guys: http://www.advanceadapters.com. Good luck in your swap and maybe we can get together when we're both done.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Okay, after getting the LS1/T56 and taking some of my own measurements things are a little different. The shifter sits 5 inches farther back than the stock W58 when measured from the front edge of the bellhousing. The other possible issue I see is the trans is 4 inches wider than the W58 for most of it's length. The bellhousing is only an inch and a half wider at the front edge (where is meets the engine) but it stays a lot wider than the relatively slim W58. I'm going to try to get it mocked up and actually put the engine and trans in the car to see if they fit and how all the mounts line up. I'll let folks on here know how things are going.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Thanks RWDCelica dude,
I was hoping some one would try this swap first (I am not a mechanic!!)
I anticipate your tranny fitment and how well the engine fits-esp the exhaust header on the drivers side...
I would much rather use the tough t56 and it's .5 od over the little w58
A 5.7 will be my target, but truth be told a 4.8 and a w58 would be alot better than my anemic 5mge.
When I get some keesh together and a garage, this project will start.
Thanks again and keep me/us posted.
Brian G
Old 08-31-2005, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

RWDC The ls series bell housing pattern is diffrent than the older style chevy v8, so the adapter company website does not have the proper adapter for the newer 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 aluminum, and the 6.0 ls series-correct me if I'm wrong. I see gen 3 vortec v8 to man trans, vortech is the truck engine 4.3, 5.0, and 5.7 iron block (I have an l31 5.7 in my 96 pu truck) or do they mean the ls series, like the ls1 in the camaro/firebird?
B

Last edited by brian g; 08-31-2005 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: T56 shifter repositioning Q