Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sept SCC LS1 hybrid feature...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sept SCC LS1 hybrid feature...

So Im at the shop having an alighnment done today. I go over to a store to get some reading matirial while I wait.

Sport Compact Car, contrary to popular beleif is not a ricer mag. They actually kick *** IMHO. Very good technical writing. Not much hype. And this feature proves it.

Right on the cover: SACRILIGE . They show 2 FD RX7s. One with a turbo 13B rotary and one with an LS1. And right there, clear as day; SS. Awesome.

And the story was great. They picked a track prep 13B car making very similar power to the LS1 (Headers/ex and intake work). So while the 13B car had a big advantage in the handling dept (much better tires too) is was a pretty even contest.

Some noteable quotes:

"The Bastard (LS1 RX7s name in the feature ) takes the overall win in the dyno tests, cranking out 347HP and 346lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels with plenty more room in the rev range."

"The Bastard has a broad, flat torque curve......In contrast, the rotaries torque curve looks like Britney Spears' career: a steep ramp up with a short peak followed by a fast decline."

"The LS1 is a more tractable engine, Period.

"Braking was, how should we put it? A Joke. The big heavy Camaro destroyed both FDs, thanks to ABS"

"With matched tires, we're sure the LS1 Bastard would whip the rotary FD3S. Yeah, we said it."

Ive liked SCC for awhile now, and thats why. Now if only purists would listen to logic a bit more often....
Old 08-01-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Nice little article!!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

SCC is actually a decent mag. and things like this make me want an FD LS1 soooo bad
Old 08-01-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a few copies of the SCC mags next to my endless pile of super chevy, PHR and carcraft rags.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

that competition was crap, the ls1 fd had so many problems with it, it wasnt even close to fair. They needed a completed swap car, not one that was half done.

Quick Reply: Sept SCC LS1 hybrid feature...