Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 chevy II conversion????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well let me know how your brackets turn out and Ill possibly order a set from ya
Thanks for the info and help.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As soon as I can get off my butt and do something ti figure it out I will share, that is what this site is all about.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to get my dad to throw a ls1 in a 66 or 67 Chevy II. He has to get one first, hes looking at a couple on ebay because there are not any around here. Anyone know of any for sale in decent shape? He had a 67 Chevy II and had to sell it because of me about 12 years ago (hard times). Sorry about hijackin here, but i did see a 67 Chevy II build up with an ls1 conversion. Just put 67 ls1 Nova in a google or yahoo search and its on the first page. Good luck and hopefully I will be asking everyone some questions to help my dads project out!
Old 12-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Steve's is a good one. Some cars for sale on there.

www.Stevesnovasite.com
Old 12-31-2006, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BBPanel
I went out an uncovered the Nova and took a couple more pics so you can see the side clearance - like I said I don't know how the manifold will fit with the steering box. But if I fab up a rack it won't matter - and that will also cure the interfrence of the stock steering linkage on the GTO pan as well.

BB,
THANKS for the pictures. Are you running coil-overs or AIR ride on the front?
Also, have you looked at Flaming rivers front steer set up?

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone
Old 01-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Qwkss
BB,
THANKS for the pictures. Are you running coil-overs or AIR ride on the front?
Also, have you looked at Flaming rivers front steer set up?
Sorry, just saw this. I'm running coilovers on front. If I can get exhaust manifolds somehow to fit the stock front sheetmetal I'd like to keep the stock front clip and go with the lower a-arm conversion - that would also allow me to keep the coilovers I have. I know some doubt they will fit but I just have a feeling that I can get the Vette exhaust manifolds in there if they are on the engine before stabbing it in place. I'm going to give it a shot as soon as I can.

Its been a year since I've worked on my Nova (moved and had to build a new shop and still finishing off the interior) so its been that long since I've done any serious looking at the steering - not sure I've looked at the Flaming River rack but I will. Thanks. -Bob
Old 01-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by novadude
Tell me more about the oil pan. What was required to make it clear the steering linkage?I have a '65 and I plan to keep my original clip and steering box.
Are you asking me or Lane? Lane's steering cleared - mine does not - not sure why - there must be some minor diff in the way we placed the mounts.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BBPanel
Sorry, just saw this. I'm running coilovers on front. If I can get exhaust manifolds somehow to fit the stock front sheetmetal I'd like to keep the stock front clip and go with the lower a-arm conversion - that would also allow me to keep the coilovers I have. I know some doubt they will fit but I just have a feeling that I can get the Vette exhaust manifolds in there if they are on the engine before stabbing it in place. I'm going to give it a shot as soon as I can.
Did you make the upper coil over brackets? Are you running an AT or 6spd?
Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Qwkss
Did you make the upper coil over brackets? Are you running an AT or 6spd?
I bought the coilover kit from a member on Steve's Nova Site that decided to clip his Nova. I don't recall who makes the kit but it probably wouldn't be difficult to find out - I intend on running a 5/6-sp but right now there is a gutted out Powerglide in there just to support the engine.

edit: Here is the conversion kit on RacingJunk - their website is apparently under construction. Conversion kit by AutoFab Race Cars

Last edited by BBPanel; 01-03-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Thanks again for the link!

Ok more questions....sorry if Im being a PITA.

The AC, how are you going to run the lines?
Do you think the "Bills II" conversion would fit with the LS1 pan you are running?
I plan on running the CPP upper and lower A arm kit and hopefully be able to get the Bills II conversion on there.
Did you happen to see how far back the shifter will be with the 6spd?
Do you have anymore pictures of your project?

Thanks again for your responses and help.
Craig
Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Launching!

see comments in italics
The AC, how are you going to run the lines?
I haven't even thought that far ahead - if I have to I'll have fittings made to accomadate the tight space. But right now there is no indication that will be necessary

Do you think the "Bills II" conversion would fit with the LS1 pan you are running?
I currently have a GTO front sump pan on the the engine - if I recall correctly, "Bill's II" is a rear steer? If so, I don't think it will work - the front edge of the sump is within ~1/2" to 1/4" of the front crossmember. I also have an LS1 rear sump pan but I think the GTO pan will probably work out better for me.

I plan on running the CPP upper and lower A arm kit and hopefully be able to get the Bills II conversion on there.
I would like to use this conversion also but I have not looked into it closely enough to see if a front steer rack will work with it.

Did you happen to see how far back the shifter will be with the 6spd?
Uhh, no manual in there yet - a gutted out Powerglide just to hold the engine up - if you go to Classic Chevy 5-speed site (5-speed install) there is a discussion regarding tunnel mods.

Do you have anymore pictures of your project?
No, nothing that is relevant at this time.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

getting the motor in is the easy part. then there is all of the metric to sae convertions like the power steering, i had a new hose made with each fitting. then you have to go to the junkyard for a drive shaft and have it cut down, then the electric fuel pump, all of the wiring.......... damn im glad im done
Old 01-06-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

The shifter for the 6 speed will be back a ways. The tunnel would have to be enlarged a lot too.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

enlarging the tunnel is an easy part of the job, cut it away from the firewall and then along the floor to the back of the front seat. you are going to need about an inch on both sides. one of the guys at the shop just cut mine off and made a new one but that is not necessary.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Well I found my LS1 combo today. 2000 w/18000 miles, AT, and computer.

Now I need to finish my garage so I can start on the 67 Wagon
Old 03-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Teching In

How do you guys think the factory manifolds will fit if you flip them 180 for a turbo application. Thats what I'm thinking of doing. I got a 66 about a month ago and I love it, but the 307/Powerslide!! is def. gonna get old in my book! Any of you guys have a set of manifolds you could mock up in the car flipped to see how they fit for me. I think I'll move the battery to the trunk and put the turbo over there. All this in the stock clip. At leat untill I have space to build my own clip. Just need dimensions and input from others for now. Any info would be greatly appreciated especially with flipped manifold fitment issues.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Any updates to this thread??

What are those using original from subframes doing about exhaust?

Last edited by HuggyBear67; 01-04-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just finished the driver side long tubes for my stock clip car, they are a real PITA. The passenger side only has 2" of clearance, so that will be more of a challenge. I plan on notching the shock tower. I have a stock steering box with CPP upper and lower arms if it makes any difference to anyone. I did move my engine 1" forward to help with some clearance issues in the trans tunnel and at the firewall.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557624863pacNjI
Jack
Old 01-05-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by babydeuce
I just finished the driver side long tubes for my stock clip car, they are a real PITA. The passenger side only has 2" of clearance, so that will be more of a challenge. I plan on notching the shock tower. I have a stock steering box with CPP upper and lower arms if it makes any difference to anyone. I did move my engine 1" forward to help with some clearance issues in the trans tunnel and at the firewall.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557624863pacNjI
Jack
Looks like it's coming out nice. You are right, things are really tight. Did you use some kind of header kit? How easy is it to remove the headers. It looks like you built them in place. Must be the only way to do it.

It looks like you are using a full sized vacuum booster and it fits. I am planning to run a tall valve cover that may not fit with that size booster.

Nice job.

D.J.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OneQuickCoupe
Looks like it's coming out nice. You are right, things are really tight. Did you use some kind of header kit? How easy is it to remove the headers. It looks like you built them in place. Must be the only way to do it.

It looks like you are using a full sized vacuum booster and it fits. I am planning to run a tall valve cover that may not fit with that size booster.

Nice job.

D.J.
Yes, I had to build the header in the car, and I dont know for sure if they will come out without pulling the engine. I bought a weld it yourself header kit from Speedway Motors, and a box of misc bends. Sadly, due to all the angles, I have exhausted my supply for the other side and will have to buy more.

Yes, I run the factory 9" booster and it is very close to the stock valve covers. I dont think you could get away with tall covers and a factory booster.

Jack

Quick Reply: 67 chevy II conversion????