Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 chevy II conversion????

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty cool Jack looks like you've been pretty busy. What accessories setup is that you have? Looks alot like the F body I don't have the upper drivers side pulley though. What is it from? Thanks,

Jimmy
Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Jimmy,

I have indeed been busy, but only as much as my limited funds will allow!

It is an F-body setup. I was not real happy about trying to run alt only, and not having the belt cover alot of area on the crank pulley.. Make sense? So I basically fabbed up an idler pulley out of an old tensioner that I had in the garage. This way I know the belt will not be slipping on the crank pulley when I get on it.

Jack
Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Teching In

How was you steering clearance with the GTO oil pan with the standard engine adapter plates? Do you have more room with the linkage with the engine moved forward an inch? I am trying to keep my tranny (350 turbo) in the stock location so I dont have to mess with my drive shaft again. I am doing a 6.0 swap in my 66 with the stock front end. For exhaust I am going to use my fenderwell headers by cutting off the flange and a small section of the primarys and fabbing my a new LS flange to the headers. Just an idea on the exhaust, but it should work out well.

Jared
Old 01-06-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have more that enough room, even with the engine moved 1" forward. I have some pics on my photobucket, link should be on page 3.

Jack
Old 01-06-2008, 04:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by babydeuce
Yes, I had to build the header in the car, and I dont know for sure if they will come out without pulling the engine. I bought a weld it yourself header kit from Speedway Motors, and a box of misc bends. Sadly, due to all the angles, I have exhausted my supply for the other side and will have to buy more.

Yes, I run the factory 9" booster and it is very close to the stock valve covers. I dont think you could get away with tall covers and a factory booster.

Jack
Jack, thanks for the reply. I'm going to relocate the coil packs or use an Abear cover setup that have the coils enclosed into the top of the cover. Katech makes a nice cover setup with the coil relocation bracket. Both are extremely pricey however. I may have to use a C5 Corvette style master cylinder/booster setup for this build. I will need to take some measurments from my C5 to see if it will work.

The headers for these cars are a real hard nut to crack short of making them yourself like you are. Right now I am looking into using a set of LS-7 stock manifolds for this build. The only issue with them is the exhaust pipe hookup. Those stock manifolds have a huge opening where the exhaust pipe hooks up. I think you would need to use the stock exhaust/cat pipe that hooks to it.

D.J.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would love to run the Abear covers, but like you said they are very pricey! You are better off getting rid of the factory style booster, it is large, and not very efficient. Have you thought about a GM Hydroboost unit? It will take some work, but a friend of mine just made the conversion on his clipped car, and it stops the car so fast it gives you whiplash!

As far as exhaust, I feel your pain on that huge collector, I was looking at CTS V manifolds, but was perplexed about that collector and fitting it.

Jack
Old 01-07-2008, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

The thought of someone throwing a set of those LS-7 factory manifolds into the trash just kills me. There has to be alot of those things collecting dust in someones garage. I would like to test fit that manifold setup along with the factory collectors to see if everything clears. Other than that it looks like I could do what you did and fab up a set myself.

I will look into the Hydroboost as it may be an option as well.

D.J.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Default 1967 Nova LS2 ,4L70E

I am at the point of wiring and fuel pump on mine . Stock front clip , Trailblazer SS 4L70E AWD converted back to 2WD . I used a GTO oil pan, Intake TBW throttle body, I made my own 1/2" thick aluminum plates for the mounts, before drilling the holes to the block I moved the engine about 3/8 inch forward so that the Compressor would clear the right mount tower. and the dipstick(trans) which used to wedge behind the head on my 400sbc could clear. Called a lot of places for headers last year,then seen the GTO at the Woodward cruise at the GM Performance display . I called Stainless Works who made there headers and he said he would custom make a set for mine. I am from WIndsor ON.which is a border city with Detroit MI . I trailered my car to Cleveland OH ,200 Miles. and left it with them. they slotted the front mounts 1/4 " to move the engine closer to centre. They made me a beautiful set of 1 5/8 long tube with X pipe and complete stainless exhaust. everything is mandrel bent , and he gave me a copy of each header pipe as it is recorded in the computer.I just recieve my GM racing harness , computer (E67) throttle pedal, fuse box etc. and am working on the transmission harness.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Launching!

My dad is swapping an LT1 into his 66 Nova. I just thought I'd post a pic to show you what he is doing for exhaust. I realise the exhaust port spacing on the head is different between lsx and traditional SBC style. Just thought this might help show where he routed the headers. Although they have been a real pain because they are fender exit.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Teching In

That is exactly how I am going to run my headers on my chevy II with the stock front clip.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lowdeuce
That is exactly how I am going to run my headers on my chevy II with the stock front clip.
I have a set of those fender well headers out in my garage that I'm not using. They are Hooker's and look to be 1 3/4". They came with my car.

So I think what you are saying is you are going to cut off the flange/pipes and adapt the fender well to the LS-X head. Correct.

D.J.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by So-GT0071
My dad is swapping an LT1 into his 66 Nova. I just thought I'd post a pic to show you what he is doing for exhaust. I realise the exhaust port spacing on the head is different between lsx and traditional SBC style. Just thought this might help show where he routed the headers. Although they have been a real pain because they are fender exit.

Thanks for posting that picture. It will help with my build. Is you Dad going to fab up his own fender wells? I'm using a Chassis Works fender well and fender/hood hinge mount.

D.J.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dyno paul
I am at the point of wiring and fuel pump on mine . Stock front clip , Trailblazer SS 4L70E AWD converted back to 2WD . I used a GTO oil pan, Intake TBW throttle body, I made my own 1/2" thick aluminum plates for the mounts, before drilling the holes to the block I moved the engine about 3/8 inch forward so that the Compressor would clear the right mount tower. and the dipstick(trans) which used to wedge behind the head on my 400sbc could clear. Called a lot of places for headers last year,then seen the GTO at the Woodward cruise at the GM Performance display . I called Stainless Works who made there headers and he said he would custom make a set for mine. I am from WIndsor ON.which is a border city with Detroit MI . I trailered my car to Cleveland OH ,200 Miles. and left it with them. they slotted the front mounts 1/4 " to move the engine closer to centre. They made me a beautiful set of 1 5/8 long tube with X pipe and complete stainless exhaust. everything is mandrel bent , and he gave me a copy of each header pipe as it is recorded in the computer.I just recieve my GM racing harness , computer (E67) throttle pedal, fuse box etc. and am working on the transmission harness.
Sounds like your getting alot done on your build. Is that the new harness that GM is coming out with? If it is what did it come with?

I wonder if Stainless works could use your bend schedule to make a set of 1 7/8 for my car. I have a ton of room on each side for headers.

D.J.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OneQuickCoupe
I have a set of those fender well headers out in my garage that I'm not using. They are Hooker's and look to be 1 3/4". They came with my car.

So I think what you are saying is you are going to cut off the flange/pipes and adapt the fender well to the LS-X head. Correct.

D.J.
Yep that is exactly what I am going to do.

Jared
Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Yes this is the new GM Racing setup I have been waiting for a few months. It comes with a programed E67engine control module and throttle by wire gas pedal, LS7 MAF ,Complete engine harness with about three feet of extra wire so the fuse box or ECM can be located basiclly anywhere around the engine or in the dash, Two GM off road O2 sensors, and a nice (Astro Van, I think ) style fuel relay centre , with four relays and various fuses and room for more.Also a bulkhead connector with power wires for trans Module Etc. A small check engine light in the box as well as a wire to ground your own check engine light in the vehicle .I just finshed separating the TCM and Transmission harness form my Original harness so I can use it with this combo. I bought a Trailblazer SS (new) fuel pump on Ebay , so That job will be next.

Last edited by Dyno paul; 01-08-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is it programed for a stock cammed LS-7 engine?
It sounds like that PCM package has everything to get someone started in the right direction.

D.J.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check out this thread... https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/811339-ls1-swapped-nova-10s-100-shot.html
I also have some videos of various Chevy II swaps on my youtube account. I think you can search under my user name (Unstang).
Old 01-08-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it programed for a stock cammed LS-7 engine?
It sounds like that PCM package has everything to get someone started in the right direction.

D.J.
TTT
Does anyone know if this computer/harness programmed for a stock LS-7?

D.J.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Default LS2 ECM Program from GM

When I went to order the Harness ECM package they said I had a choise of three part # one for LS2 one for LS7 and I think the last was LS3 (forgot) i ordered the one for LS2 . It came with a LS7 Mass air flow sensor and an Aluminum adapter to weld to Aluminum Cold Air intake pipe. With instructions for length position etc. How and where to mount the pedal . very straight forward.The only thing not with it is the Transmission harness,I checked tonight and the Fuse box relay centre is the same as my buddy,s 1998 Astro Van. Check GM Performance parts .com Sema ,whats new and you can see a picture.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Thanks for posting that picture. It will help with my build. Is you Dad going to fab up his own fender wells? I'm using a Chassis Works fender well and fender/hood hinge mount.

D.J.
Umm, whatever company he got his front clip from also sent him inner fenders. He just cut them out for the headers to fit through and he's having them powder coated I believe.

Quick Reply: 67 chevy II conversion????