Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to connect steam tube LS2/LS7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:49 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
I got a little curious about this so I checked and found according to the GM LS1 swap installation guide ( pn 88959384 ) it states on page 7;

Quote:
Connect cylinder head air bleeds and coolant return line to outlet radiator hose or return side of radiator. Cylinder heads air bleeds must connect to fill bottle or highest point of cooling system above coolant level!

Thats an exact quote they even put the exclamation mark so....

Then it says;

Quote:
NOTE: failure to connect the cylinder head air bleeds properly can cause an internal air lock and result in engine damage

take it as you will
Here's a front view of the Envoy/Trailblazer heater hose assembly showing the actual location of the steam port nipple:

I added a ruler to the flat boss on the water pump to get an idea of the relationship of the return port to the water pump/cooling system height.

Originally Posted by cam
I only wish to offer that of best knowledge possible.
Me too!

Tapping into the top of the water pump should work just fine.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com

Last edited by Speartech; 11-15-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Speartech
Here's a front view of the Envoy/Trailblazer heater hose assembly showing the actual location of the steam port nipple:

I added a ruler to the flat boss on the water pump to get an idea of the relationship of the return port to the water pump/cooling system height.

Me too!

Perfect! Thanks John!

Andrew
Old 02-21-2007, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like thats been solved.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:43 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks like its higher than the top of the steam tube output in that pic. I would have swore it was lower but i only have my car to go on and I have never seen it from that angle. Funny thing I was very circumspect about blocking the rear coolant lines too and then I find newer 6.0L 3/4 trucks have them plugged as well so I guess it must work cuz you know they get the snot hammered out of them with heavy loads and whatnot. Thanks for the pics John!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy1
BTW, these guys have a nice steam vent adapter fror 1/8 NPT which allows for running any kind of line; AN, hose, etc. They're cheap as well.
http://s41657.sites80.storefront-hos...l.aspx?ID=3289
Andy1
I just recieved a couple of those in the mail. Man what a nice option for adding this steam line. Can't beat $5 either.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

... BTW, these guys have a nice steam vent adapter fror 1/8 NPT which allows for running any kind of line; AN, hose, etc. They're cheap as well.

Andy1
Where does that thing mount? The listing says "Seals to the head with 'O' ring".

It bolts to the head? Where?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Perfect! Thanks John!

Andrew
Ive read loads about what great service John provides, but this takes the cake - he pulled the engine out to take this photo for you!!!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is true. I have had excellent support from John, and he does good work on his products.

with regard to where that steam vent adapter plugs in, I called the company and talked to them. You take out the existing hard lines, put one in each head in place of that, and T them together, and put a fitting in the top of the water pump, as discussed many other times no this forum.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

ewingr,

Yeah, it's basically an aluminum version of the steam vent that replaces the existing one on one side. It has a 1/8NPT threaded hole pointing up, and instead of a metal/rubber seal it uses an O-ring against the head.

Andy1
Old 09-19-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ewingr,

...that replaces the existing one on one side...
Andy1
Hmmm...the company that sells it told me I need to put it on both sides, and T them together to the port that is put in the water pump.

I'm also cusious about one other thing: the existing one somehow passes steam through the TB, doesn't it? I don't recollect that hooking to the TB. Is that via rubber tubing or something?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the original configuration runs through the throttle body. Intent is to heat the intake air in cold climates I think. For most of us that is not an issue so it can be by passed. I even removed the tubes from the throttle body. Pull them out or cut them off. According to the EBay ads, this by pass will give you 5-7 horsepower! How can you pass that up?

Pat
Old 09-19-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ewingr
Hmmm...the company that sells it told me I need to put it on both sides, and T them together to the port that is put in the water pump.

I'm also cusious about one other thing: the existing one somehow passes steam through the TB, doesn't it? I don't recollect that hooking to the TB. Is that via rubber tubing or something?
It seems I was not making myself clear.

The Wegner steam vent blocks come in pairs. One pair will accomodate the ends of a pair of cylinder heads. The pair of blocks would need to be Tee'd toghether , then a single line run to either the top of the radiator, or to the water pump outlet. If you choose to add steam vents to both the front and the rear of the heads, you will need two pairs of steam vent blocks (most argue that four are not necessary). The four blocks would have to be Tee'd toghether as well.

Hope this helps,

Andy1
Old 09-19-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes. Andy, that is helpful. I appreciate it.

I have one pair on order.

Now, I wonder if putting them in will make my engine run hotter. I have another thread on that. When driving over 50mph, and temp beleow 50, my temp gauge just barely hovers above the C, and the air from teh heater is luke warm at best. Mark at S&P thinks it is because I have the steam vent blocked.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Launching!

I suppose it depends a lot on your particular needs, space, and cosmetics (if that applies). If you're running a filler tank, you could plumb them there. Otherwise, the top of the radiator like a Camaro, etc., is it. BTW, these guys have a nice steam vent adapter fror 1/8 NPT which allows for running any kind of line; AN, hose, etc. They're cheap as well.

Andy1
Link doesn't work, can someone show me where to find whatever this piece is that everyone is gawking about? I would like to see it and possible order one or two.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Just use this fitting from Mike at JTR:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...g_LSI-tee.html

Works great.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve VanS
Just use this fitting from Mike at JTR:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...g_LSI-tee.html

Works great.
Yeah but $33??
Old 01-09-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
Yeah but $33??
Worth every penny.

Andrew
Old 01-09-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 70CamaroRS_LS1
I made an insert that I inserted into the upper hose near the vent tube. Just used a piece of exhaust tubing and welded in a bung. Then ran a beed around the OD to give the hose something to seal on. It's self explanitory buy I can get you a pic if you need.
I also made one like that out of exhaust tubing. I used mine to mount the heat gauge sending unit (3/8" NPT) I need to make another one for a friend, and will put in an extra bung for the steam vent. Both Summit and Jegs have these already made up, or at least they did at one time.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Add a 1/8 npt threaded barbed hose fitting and your set....I'm going to paint the whole thing black to blend in with my radiator hose when I set it all up.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy
I bought one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Add a 1/8 npt threaded barbed hose fitting and your set....I'm going to paint the whole thing black to blend in with my radiator hose when I set it all up.
The part on ebay is a good price. I can't compete with the price (ebay part is made in China), but the ebay part can't compete with the quality of our parts.
For example:

The part on ebay is very thin wall where the 1/8npt fitting threads into it.
The ebay part doesn't include the steam tube fitting.
The ebay part isn't machined to install a petcock valve for bleeding the air out, nor does it include a petcock valve.
The ebay part may be too long to fit into tight engine compartments. We made our part as short as possible to fit into tight situations.

Also, we make transitional steam vent tubes, so if you need a size that goes from 1-5/16 to 1-9/16, we have these.
Also, we make these parts inhouse, so if you need a size not listed on our webpage, we can usually make the part within a week.

Quick Reply: Where to connect steam tube LS2/LS7?