Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LS1 E36 BMW 357i

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n00bjabi
Minus the cost of the car, what would you say the total cost of the whole project has been?

I'm torn between a 1JZ swap which I know will fit easier than the LS1, but price is also an issue for me so I'm wondering how your swap turned out and how big the hit to your wallet was.

What I spent and what it will cost another to do it are not really related. There are two many variables involved. Price of motors can vary more than $2000 easy before mods. Parts are they made or bought etc. On Bimmerforums there is a company that will sells parts to do the swap. I'd begin looking there and at motor prices to set your budget.

Thaniel
Old 01-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Teching In

What radiator did you end up using for your swap?
Old 01-19-2008, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rcM3
What radiator did you end up using for your swap?
The radiator I got with the 2nd hand parts. I don't have any specifics on it. It is obviously custom made aluminum radiator but I don't know the MFG or part#.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Thaniel
The radiator I got with the 2nd hand parts. I don't have any specifics on it. It is obviously custom made aluminum radiator but I don't know the MFG or part#.
Oh... Is it from the one originally from the 357ti project where you got your headers?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rcM3
Oh... Is it from the one originally from the 357ti project where you got your headers?
Yah. You got it. It was probably made by be-cool or something. Drops right in to the BMW mounts and all. Is a good set up.

I've put over 1600 miles on the car now (I don't drive a lot) and things are still going good.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

I thought I'd give an update. I've put 5,000 miles on the car now. I've driven it to DC (4 hours one way) and charlotte (2 hrs one way). On the way back from charlotte the temps were even over 100 deg outside. A few people had concerns about my heater lines coming unsoldered. No need to worry. Last trip was 25 mpg. It drives like a regular car except really fast.

Thaniel
Old 07-26-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear it's running well for you Thaniel.

I've got a 96 328iC that isn't, well, fast, that I'm thinking of adding Gen III power to. LSx RX7 + LSx BMW in the driveway isn't a bad way to go.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Ditto, great to hear semi-long term results & I bet you're really happy with the mileage! I think when I checked my RX7 it was around 16 average, but it has a really light return spring on the carb .

BTW, I'm glad to hear your coolant temps are OK in the warmer weather. I ran into a hot weather snag with the RX7 due to vapor lock of the aluminum line I ran under it. Everything was OK until the weather changed, then it was 4 miles at a time, cool down, 4 miles, etc. One more thing to fix .

Hope to join you in the operable BMW ranks soon. I have one more gasket to replace on my project & if it can hold its oil I'll be in business.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V8 Supra Builder
BTW, I'm glad to hear your coolant temps are OK in the warmer weather.
I'm not sure if I updated this post but the probem I had before was I had wired the primary fan backwards and had the relays wired so when the secondary fan came on the primary turned off. DOH. I've corrected that now and it seems to be working fine.

I still need to switch the temp guage sender though. The one I'm using was from the BMW engine to send the temps for the ECU. It had the right thread on it for the motor but the resistance is a bit off. The guage always reads a little hotter than the engine really is (comparing the OBDII reported temps to the guage). I figure it's safe with it reading high but it'll be almost to the red on my guage before GM would even turn the fans on (I have my fan turn on temp lower than factory)

Other than that and a ticket for "improper exhaust" it's been a great car.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Congrats on the sweet build Thaniel! and the fact that it worked out so well that you can daily drive it.

I am in the planning phases of an E36/LS1 marriage right now. I have the car (although not here) in the form of a '92 318i. Would you mind if I picked your brain from time to time regarding my swap?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redls1bird
Congrats on the sweet build Thaniel! and the fact that it worked out so well that you can daily drive it.

I am in the planning phases of an E36/LS1 marriage right now. I have the car (although not here) in the form of a '92 318i. Would you mind if I picked your brain from time to time regarding my swap?
Sure anytime. Car has been great. I'm still using it as a daily driver. Already had to put on 2 new rear tires.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Are you familiar with different diffs of the e36 lineup? Ive read that the 318 had what some describe as the "small diff" and that the medium sized one that comes in 328's and even the m3's are enough to handle moderate ls1 power. My question is if the mounting points and axle shaft design is the same between the diffs, so that i can just purchase a unit of choice and replace the stock wimpy one.

Also, what kind of mileage are you getting with that setup?
Old 10-04-2008, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redls1bird
Are you familiar with different diffs of the e36 lineup? Ive read that the 318 had what some describe as the "small diff" and that the medium sized one that comes in 328's and even the m3's are enough to handle moderate ls1 power. My question is if the mounting points and axle shaft design is the same between the diffs, so that i can just purchase a unit of choice and replace the stock wimpy one.

Also, what kind of mileage are you getting with that setup?

If I remember correctly the 318 does have a weaker diff and has only One "ear" on the rear of the diff for mounting. The 325 and the M have 2 ears on the rear of the diff. I believe to go to the 2 ear design you need to swap the diff and the subframe at a minimum. Now the axles are another question. I know the M axles are different from the 325 (I think 328's use same as 325). You can NOT install M axles into the 325 trailing arms. however I think you can put an M diff into a 325 using the 325 axles. Not sure about 318 axles. You'd better verify all that if you want to go that way. I'd check on bimmerforums.com and real.oem The input flange on the diff's vary somewhat. Some ar 4 bolt and some are 6 bolt. It seems fairly random on which car gets which.

I've read of a few of the LS1 swaps running with the 318 diff. As long as you don't put on to wide and sticky of tire you can't put too much torque on it. I'm running 225 street tires on my and they'll give way before it builds too much torque. I can not get on it in any kind of turn or the back end will step out. Done it many times. Sometimes exciting to come out of a clover leaf onto the freeway and floor the gas just a little too early and have it step sideways at 60mph. Car is nice and predictable though. It's not uncontrolable.

The mount point for the rear subframe to the chassis seems to be the weakest link. There are reinforcement kits available. I've yet to install one so I just don't shock load the driveline for now. Had no problems to date.

Milage....5,000-10,000 miles for a set of rear tires (it's a hybrid, It burns gas and rubber). For gas milage 18mpg for my to from work cycle. I usually get at least one full throttle run in it. For straight freeway I get around 25mpg.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Sounds pretty good. Ill look into the specs on bimmerforums.com . I may start by seeing how the stock diff holds up, and if it detonates, so be it. Ill do a rear subframe swap with something more substantial.

The car is in south carolina right now, and will be sometime this winter before i can even get my hands on it. Im going to have to stretch out the process to keep within my budget.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Subscribed
Old 10-22-2008, 12:49 PM

another cool swap
Old 10-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Love the build! I just picked up an e36 325is and an LS1. I'll be using your thread for reference. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Teching In

What is the reason for using Corvette's Fuel Pressure Regulator? I think I saw several references to this now.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bimerok
What is the reason for using Corvette's Fuel Pressure Regulator? I think I saw several references to this now.
Anyone? Thaniel, Rao, JoeZ? Any suggestions why?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

There's a number of reasons.

1.) Readily available.
2.) Cheap
3.) The fuel pressure regulator is integrated into the fuel filter.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: My LS1 E36 BMW 357i