On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspeed05V
Were are you located ? East coast ?
Yah. Dublin Virginia area. Kind of in the middle of no where
Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

To be honest I most likely can't afford what its worth to you . But hopefully with some good junk yard hunting and a good deal on m3 sedan I can pull it off. I'd buy the steering rod, headers and motor mounts. And the rest of the minor stuff I should be able to do myself. The wiring I'm not to sure about but ill do more research .
Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by maxspeed05V
To be honest I most likely can't afford what its worth to you . But hopefully with some good junk yard hunting and a good deal on m3 sedan I can pull it off. I'd buy the steering rod, headers and motor mounts. And the rest of the minor stuff I should be able to do myself. The wiring I'm not to sure about but ill do more research .

Maybe. Maybe not. Today anyway I'm thinking i'd like to do another project. However I need to sell one of my current ones to do another. If your serious about doing a swap hit me up on PM or e-mail.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

bumpity.

Awesome thread and build man. that Is lot of hard work and man hours.

I'm planning to start a swap the first of the year when income tax time comes in and I get my insurance check from my last project car.

I may go with a 4l60E to lower the cost provided there are no clearance issues.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by evrae205
bumpity.

Awesome thread and build man. that Is lot of hard work and man hours.

I'm planning to start a swap the first of the year when income tax time comes in and I get my insurance check from my last project car.

I may go with a 4l60E to lower the cost provided there are no clearance issues.
Good luck with your swap. The LS1 E36 has been good to me. Think it is 4 years this month that I've been driving it.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

sweet did you ever run into any issues at all with the fitment in the long run? I take it the bmw diff has held up with no issues the thing is probably a lot tougher than the GM10 bolts once reinforced.

Think I found my car today. a 95 318i sedan for $1500. car is in really good shape for the age and still runs.

Last edited by evrae205; 10-22-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by evrae205
sweet did you ever run into any issues at all with the fitment in the long run? I take it the bmw diff has held up with no issues the thing is probably a lot tougher than the GM10 bolts once reinforced.

Think I found my car today. a 95 318i sedan for $1500. car is in really good shape for the age and still runs.

No problems for me in the long run. I don't beat the car up so the diff is lasting. For 200K + miles on it I'm quite suprised. The most common diff failure for these cars seems to be pulling the mounting points off the chassis.

The 318i has a different diff than the 325i if my memory is correct. 318i's are smaller. It is possible to fitt the larger diff in there though. The chassis sheetmetal is pretty much identical on all E36.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

awesome. ya the 318 diff is much smaller but i picked up a m3 diff this weekend for $250

going to rebuild it and put some reman CV axles in as well as new bushings and mounting bolts.. not bad for a first part purchase.

Have my m3 spindles and brakes and reinforcement plates on the way now. gotta get some larger wheels and the rest of my suspension upgrades next. hopefully income tax will help me finish up all the under car work. then I can start saving for my motorset.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Man, I wish I still had ny '93 E36. This is a cool swap.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Default just a note to stay thanks for the thread

I am 1 week into my LS2 /T56 into an Mz3 Coupe. ( Twinscrewed on BMF).

Reading threads like yours and Bimeroks and McCalls et al. sure make it easier.

First Stage: Anxious and Enthusiastic. Stuff showing up everyday
Second Stage: Panic- WTF did I get myself into!
Third Stage: Questions and more Questions....total noob bothering everyone
Fourth Stage: Reading and more Reading- finding answers to many ?'s duh!
Fifth Stage: I know what I don't know......now I have detailed questions!

My plans are aggressive...track ready April 1.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 PM

Almost 2 years after last post, I was just daydreaming of swapping in a diesel engine into an E46, and ended up here, and it was great reading!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD
Almost 2 years after last post, I was just daydreaming of swapping in a diesel engine into an E46, and ended up here, and it was great reading!
Glad you enjoyed it. Engine swaps can be fun.

Guess I can update status here. After 6 years of ownership I got bored. Despite the excellent speed (Zero to 60 4.29 per G-tech) I decided I wanted something else. Made an attempt to sell it complete but ended up selling the car without the motor. Am toying with LS1 swaping an E46. But I may choose to just Turbocharge one instead. Something I haven't done. It'll depend on if I sell the LS1 or not. If no one buys it I'll install it in an E46. I have 3 of them now :-)

Thread selling the motor https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...000-miles.html

Done the day I removed the motor. With more traction it'd be faster.

Engine comes out.

Chassis being towed away by it's new owner
Attached Thumbnails My LS1 E36 BMW 357i-photo-4.jpg   My LS1 E36 BMW 357i-photo-2.jpg   My LS1 E36 BMW 357i-img_2272.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 11:50 PM

Seems such a shame to undo such a well sorted package... But I guess if it doesn't sell... What choice???

I wish I had the time to do the projects I have in mind, like the diesel 3 or 5 series
Old 12-16-2013, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you including all of the BMW swap gear w/ the engine ?
Old 12-16-2013, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
Are you including all of the BMW swap gear w/ the engine ?
Sorry the custom swap pieces have been sold. The chassis was thrown in with the swap pieces as packaging (The chassis had a salvage title, was rusted had and had minimal value).
Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha, I'm praying I can find a good, but used, kit before I buy a Vorshlag kit or start my own.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thaniel, if your still around, what headers did you finally go with? You use them with stock steering shaft location, or?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Darn, wish I had known you were selling such an interesting car. I never even think to look for a BMW-LS1 assuming they are never for sale.
I subscribed to this thread well over a year ago; if you had posted on your thread that you wanted to sell, I would have known.
Great info anyway. I understand that one can get bored and want to do something new.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camarotestdriver
Thaniel, if your still around, what headers did you finally go with? You use them with stock steering shaft location, or?
Yah I'm still around. Though my LSx interests are in relation to other's projects. I now drive a bullet bike when I want crazy speed.

The headers I used were a disbanded company. I forget their name. Not sure if they were produced before or after the company went defunct. I go them second handed. Were beautifully built in my opinion. Yes used the stock steering shaft. I just put a fire sleeve (insulation) over it to keep the heat down. No other changes to the steering.

Currently I think there are at least 2 maybe 3 other companies that make headers that fit the E36 LSx headers.

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Darn, wish I had known you were selling such an interesting car. I never even think to look for a BMW-LS1 assuming they are never for sale.
I subscribed to this thread well over a year ago; if you had posted on your thread that you wanted to sell, I would have known.
Great info anyway. I understand that one can get bored and want to do something new.
Now that you mention it posting here would have been a good idea. The car ended up being disassembled and sold piece meal. Perhaps I shouldn't say I got bored with the car. I got sick of how shabby it looked. And I was not investing the kind of money it would have taken to get that chassis prettied up. Did look for awhile for a nicer chassis (didn't find one) but in the end decided it was just best to move on to another car. I'm now into E46's instead of E36's.

Thaniel

Quick Reply: My LS1 E36 BMW 357i