Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You want GM cruise control on your cable driven TB

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have recently wired up my cruise with my fast 90 throttle body. The cruise control works just fine, but it seems to have problems accelerating the car. Any time the car looses speed, or i press the button to accelerate it remains at the same speed until I lightly touch the gas, then it will accelerate to the new speed. Has anyone had this happen before where the box doesn't have enough force to open the throttle body? or have a fix for this type of problem?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spun like it doesn't have enough torque to pull the throttle open. Is it in a bind? Do you notice it being slightly tuff at the very beginning? ( by Hand at the TB)
Old 07-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice write up...just bookmarked this
Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

I am in the process of my swap, and with trying to get all my ducks in a row, I would like to get the cruise working with the mustang wheel controls. I have the module from a 99 blazer, and will be using a self modified harness and will keep all the cruise nessesary wires in tact. Also my steering wheel is from a 2001 (as is most of the interior).

If my research is correct, the mustang uses multiplexing to control the cruise, and a momentaty switch to set on or off. There are 5 buttons total. If anyone knows how I can make this work.... here is the diagram for the cruise. If you need any others I will do my best to find them.

http://content.chiltonsonline.com/co...ord_128056.pdf

Charlie
Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

no one?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrome_Rust
no one?
I looked into this a while back, I wanted to use the steering wheel controls in my LTD wagon. It doesn't look promising. The systems are completely different in the way they operate. There was a guy on here several months ago that said he was going to try to use the Ford cruise module (that the steering wheel controls work with) and have it control the GM module, but never heard anything back from him, so I assume it didn't work. If you do come up with something, I like to know how too.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking while at work today, and I think I found a soulution, but it may only work for me. I have the new wheel, but I am not using the airbags. It's there, just not hooked up. that gives me 2 extra wires to play with. there are a total of 3 wires for cruise/horn and 2 for the airbag. take one away for the horn, and 1 for ground. You are left with a 3 to use as you see fit. I would have to re-wire the controls, but it would give me a On, set and coast, plus a working horn. The contacts would be ground paths, so either relays or something solid state would have to be used to provide 12v (+) to the inputs on the cruise module. I will tinker with this, and see where it gets me.. I i mess the buttons up... oh well..

Charlie
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Does anyone know the particular PCM functions that NEED to be turned on. I have a painless wired car and the cruise isn't working. The technician at Painless claims that ALL the cruise functions are turned on in the pcm. I used a test light and probed the wires and they all check out according to the diagram at the beginning of this post. HELP! I need the cruise to save me from getting tickets! LOL plus I do a lot of highway driving and it would be nice to have my cruise work finally. Oh, and the cruise module is new according but maybe that is bad even though it was new?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

There shouldn't need to be anything 'turned Ron in the PCM on a DBC set up. Are you sure you have the brake switch adjusted right? You need the switch adjusted so that the closed contacts are actually closed when the brake pedal isn't applied, just because the brake lights aren't on doesn't necessarily mean the other contacts are closed. Also you can't use LED taillights with out putting at least one actual light bulb in the system.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Teching In

That could be the issue right there! I have led bulbs in my rear tail lights. I do have normal bulbs up front in the park light lens but if I am hearing you correctly, I need to put a set of regular bulbs in the brake lights instead....
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes, the cruise module needs to see a ground through the brake light circuit, and the LEDs don't have enough resistance for that to happen. As a test you can wire in a light bulb at the brake light switch, hook it up to the wire that is hot when the brakes are applied and see if the cruise works. You could leave it in there if it does, but under your dash will light up every time you step on the brakes!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Teching In

ls1nova71 YOU ROCK my friend! That is exactly what the problem was! Thank you so much!!! My cruise works beautifully now! Awesome!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I took the info at the beginning of the page and modified it for my application (2000 DBC Astro module) and had some questions.

I was able to get over 4 feet of harness wiring off the factory plug so I def want to use it. Could someone look over my diagram and make sure I don't have any errors?

Question 1: on Pin F , all I need to do is splice into a iginition switched circuit correct? I have an extra spot in my underhood fuse block and it's powered up by the ignition

Question 2: Pin J, it says this wire isn't needed but what is it's function exactly? Does it tell the PCM that cruise is on when engaged? Why wouldn't it be needed?

Thanks for anyones help and input

Name:  2000AstrocruiseDiagram.jpg
Views: 4043
Size:  171.3 KB
Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Pin f needs to be powered with an ignition power, you also need to power the switch with the same ignition power. Pin J is the cruise status to the PCM, it's not needed for the cruise to function, but if you have the right module and PCM, and have a neutral safety switch hooked up, it will turn off the cruise when you shift into neutral, a nice feature since otherwise it will send the engine bouncing off the rev limiter if the cruise stays engaged while shifted into neutral. That said, it won't work on an F body, at least it didn't on mine. I'm using an Astro van module, and the cruise works perfectly, but hooking up the cruise status wire did nothing for it. I think you need an F body module with the cruise inhibit and cruise status wires hooked up.

Also, the VSS speed should be 4000 PPM (4K), but since you said 'to cluster', you already know that, 40K must be a typo.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah it's a typo , I meant 4k lol....Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Do you need the cruise control servo?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ART T
Do you need the cruise control servo?
Do you mean the.cruise module? That is the cruise, not sure I understand your question, its the main part.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 AM
Staging Lane

On my 99 Z there is a piece on the right side that all the cables go in and out of. It looks like a small electric motor.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:47 AM
TECH Veteran

That's for traction control. You wont need that part, you just need one cable.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I miss my cruise more than AC.

Quick Reply: You want GM cruise control on your cable driven TB