Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mast Motorsports L92 HO F-Body with VVT

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mast Motorsports L92 HO F-Body with VVT

Here are some pictures of our Mast Motorsports test car that we ran at this years LSX Shootout. I am pretty sure that it is the world’s first L92 F-Body with variable valve timing. Hopefully, this thread will help out those that are doing the L92 swap in their F-Bodies.

We built this to do testing on our crate engine packages and, of course, have fun with. It is a 2000 Trans Am that started out with a stock LS1, stock manifolds, SLP Loud Mouth exhaust, and T-56 gearbox. When we started on this car, we put in our L92 crate engine, 1-3/4 primary long tube headers. We kept the T-56 and made no other changes. First time out it went 12.48@116 on BFG Drag Radials with a race weight of 3420 Lbs. We were having some major clutch issues, so we knew there was more left in the car. All things considered, we were pretty pleased with this result. After this, the project began to snowball as usual.

At this point, we kept our L92 with VVT in the car. We added a Ford 9” with 4.30s and a spool. The rear suspension is Spohn lower control arms, relocation brackets, chassis mount torque arm, and panhard bar. Other added items were a BMR 1.25” race anti-roll bar and subframe connectors. For the transmission we used a built TH400 with a 3200 RPM stall and a transbrake. The 3200 stall worked out quite nicely, but could have probably been even lower thanks to the added torque down low due to the VVT. M/T ET Street 28x12.50-15 tires were used, but they required ALOT of headache to get under the car. The interior had the rear and passenger seats removed, but that is all. I’m not 100% on this weight number, but I believe after this the race weight was around 3200 Lbs. This combination went 11.71@117.9. Engine dyno data for the L92 crate engine is shown below.

After this, the engine was upgraded to our L92 HO crate engine to run Index and True Street at the LSX shootout in Memphis. We used an AJE K-Member with the stock front lower control arms and a Wolfe 6 point chrome-moly roll bar was installed. Other than these three modifications, no other changes were made and this combination went 10.99@122.6. Engine dyno data for the L92 HO crate engine is shown below.

Below you can see the spacers that we made to marry the F-Body alternator to a VVT application.

Since we wanted to retain the option to have A/C on this car, we moved the compressor mounting points forward as well. The compressor fit with the stock K-Member as well as the AJE K-Member.

Here is the spacers needed to run the car water pump in a VVT application. This made the package not have any major visual differences to the stock LS1 other than the DBW throttle and lack of a MAF sensor. We are running our fuel pressure correction that lets us safely run the stock fuel pump by adjusting pulse width based on real time fuel pressure measurment. The sensor for this is mounted on the fuel rail in the top of the picture.

Here is another pic of the water pump, VVT front cover, fuel pressure correction, and DBW throttle.

Since then, we have just driven this car and used it for testing purposes over the winter. Next, this car is going to get either our LS3 427 (620 HP)or our LSX 454 HO (640 HP) crate engine that are among the 5 new packages we will be releasing this month. Updates on our website will follow shortly.

Hopefully, the performance data will help someone that needs a reference for their project or pics to help with their installation.

Shaun
www.mastmotorsports.com
Old 02-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Looks good! Love that Silver color (maybe its just the lighting?). Any more info on how what you had to do change with the vvt? What changes were made to the electronics, tune, etc?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Shaun,
Is there any particular reason why y'all aren't offering the VVT cam with the new LS3 427 motor? (according to your website)

Does it have anything do do with the water pump spacer? I noticed the L92 427 package has the VVT.

Great company and website by the way.

Jim
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle313
Looks good! Love that Silver color (maybe its just the lighting?). Any more info on how what you had to do change with the vvt? What changes were made to the electronics, tune, etc?
Thanks for the compliments!...The pictures that are shown above are really the only "detalis" to this swap for an F-Body. As far as the electronics, the L92 HO crate engine uses our M-90 ECM and wiring harness. The tune is the same calibration that we send out to customers with this engine.

Shaun
www.mastmotorsports.com
Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by murtah
Shaun,
Is there any particular reason why y'all aren't offering the VVT cam with the new LS3 427 motor? (according to your website)

Does it have anything do do with the water pump spacer? I noticed the L92 427 package has the VVT.

Great company and website by the way.

Jim
Our LS3 427 and L92 427 engines are basically the same engine. The difference between the two is that the L92 427 has VVT and the LS3 427 has a fixed cam. BTW, we are updating our website this week.

Shaun
www.mastmotorsports.com
Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you tried any of your engines with boost yet??? would be nice to see the results.

Chris.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:10 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by chuntington101
have you tried any of your engines with boost yet??? would be nice to see the results.

Chris.
No boost yet.

Shaun
www.mastmotorsports.com
Old 03-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Any updates yet?

<Watching with interest.>
Old 03-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Launching!

What intake yall using on the Chandlerbird, L76?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mike s.
What intake yall using on the Chandlerbird, L76?
Yeah Mike, it's a stock L76 Intake with the 90mm DBW throttle.

Here are some pics of the CAN gauge package that we offer installed in this car. These hook up with about 8 wires and turned out quite nice in this application. Still some finish work to do, but you guys get the idea.

The screen in the middle of the tachometer will display the following:
RPM
Engine Coolant Temperature
Oil Pressure
Fuel Level
Intake Air Temperature
Throttle Position
Battery Voltage
Diagnostic Trouble Codes

These are basically gauges that have scan tool like capabilities.

Shaun
www.mastmotorsports.com
Old 05-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Teching In

I would like to see some vids of this thing running.. Im going to be putting l92 in 05 gto and im watching what you guys have been doing since im still on the ropes about taking the VVT out and putting a normal cam in.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
CWK
Launching!

Originally Posted by MastMotorsports
No boost yet.

Shaun
www.mastmotorsports.com
Shaun , You should get Horace to due some testing with my car I'm local and thinking about doing an ls2 or ls3 stroker with boost. I'm going to purchase everything anyway maybe we co.uld work out a deal
Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default L92

Shaun, this is a cool rolling testbed! my question is about the VVT- isnt this an economy feature to drop 4 cylinders at hwy speeds? have you got any MPG figures on this or is it strictly a track car? (cant view pics at work) thanks and keep up the good work
Old 08-01-2008, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by zman1969
Shaun, this is a cool rolling testbed! my question is about the VVT- isnt this an economy feature to drop 4 cylinders at hwy speeds? have you got any MPG figures on this or is it strictly a track car? (cant view pics at work) thanks and keep up the good work
I think that you are thinking of Displacement on Demand (DOD). The Variable Vavle Timing (VVT) actually phases (changes the installed center line) the camshaft across the RPM range to improve airflow...resulting in more power under the curve. It gives you lots of torque that a fixed cam engine is simply not capable of producing. I don't have any mileage numbers on this car. We drive it to the track, but have never sorted mileage on it specifically. Our 1968 Chevy truck has a very similar engine package and gets 17.5 MPG pushing a big red brick through the air.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CWK
Shaun , You should get Horace to due some testing with my car I'm local and thinking about doing an ls2 or ls3 stroker with boost. I'm going to purchase everything anyway maybe we co.uld work out a deal
I think our next drag racing endeavour is looking like a turbo 402 ci Malibu. We'll probably use it as a test bed for our M-90 ECM's electronic wastegate control capabilites. What kind of chassis do you have?

Last edited by MastMotorsports; 08-01-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool gauges! I'm going need something like that for my Nova.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:12 AM
CWK
Launching!

Originally Posted by MastMotorsports
I think our next drag racing endeavour is looking like a turbo 402 ci Malibu. We'll probably use it as a test bed for our M-90 ECM's electronic wastegate control capabilites. What kind of chassis do you have?
C5 CORVETTE WITH A NOVI 2000. WITH A BUILT DRIVETRAIN.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Realize nothing new on this front for awhile, but anybody notice the G8 GT L76 is essentially a LS2 with VVT? I was thinking of this engine for my 98 Z28. Since by the time I can afford the engine the aftermarket will probably catch up to the vvt gen IV engines.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking

Originally Posted by chuntington101
I sent 'em a PM last week asking more or less the same thing, haven't heard anything back yet...

Originally Posted by kain01
...anybody notice the G8 GT L76 is essentially a LS2 with VVT?
OR... You could say it this way - the LS2 is like a "stripped down L76" without VVT... (And there is already aftermarket support for VVT engines.)

Last edited by V8Rumble; 08-24-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
OR... You could say it this way - the LS2 is like a "stripped down L76" without VVT... (And there is already aftermarket support for VVT engines.)
Got any info on that aftermarket support, I literally jawdropped at this option when I gave more than three seconds of thought to it yesterday.

My plans up till yesterday was a 5.0 LS2 (3.000 callies magnum xl crankshaft would get me the 5.0), now I'm thinking L76 with aforementioned crankshaft. Beyond that I'd have to rethink my intake/exhaust options unless the LSX stuff worked, which I'm guessing it will.

Quick Reply: Mast Motorsports L92 HO F-Body with VVT