Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you use an automatic transmission cooler as oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you use an automatic transmission cooler as oil cooler?

I was just making sure all of lines were tied in right, all ports closed off and hooked up right and such and came across the transmission cooler ports in my LT1 radiator. The radiator came from a 1994 Camaro Z28 with 4L60E transmission. I had planned on plugging these off since mines a 6 speed but then i thought about using it as an oil cooler.

Would that even work? My engine makes 55psi of oil just cold cranking the engine over (not even running). I havent started it yet but i put in LPEs high volume pump with the high pressure spring because i ran a deep pan with my setup and it required a remote filter. Now I'm thinking it's going to be too much pressure and was looking for an alternative route to bleed some of the pressure off.

I was thinking of running a T right after my oil filter and then maybe another one before it goes back into the block to return the oil to the system. Would i need a check valve? Would it even work? I wouldnt want to run all of the oil through the cooler just a small portion of it.

Would running it through the radiator keep the oil at too low of a temp?
Would the ATF raditor even hold 80psi+ of oil pressure?
Would it even be worth it?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

What are your oil temps? Are you having high temp issues?

If so, I'd suggest going with an external cooler with a thermostat.

or...
The 9C1 version came with a a water/oil cooler. The cooling unit attached between the filter and the block. Water from the radiator circulated through the adapter.

Name:  LT1oil_cooler.jpg
Views: 8830
Size:  76.5 KB
Old 04-25-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

No problems with temps or anything was just wondering if it would work. I am worried about having too high of an oil pressure (55psi) just cranking over. I havent started the engine yet. I guess ill just plug the holes off and just deal with whatever oil pressure the engine makes.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A Auto trans could have up to and more than 200psi.. so.. engine oil pressure being 55psi for your engine should not be a problem.

I would only question the passage of a trans cooler, if they can support the volume and heavy fuild ratings of the engine oil. Normally oil cooler have larger tubing 3/8" to 1/2.

But I guess it should will work to some degree guess... let us know what your results are.

Another good use of a Tran Cooler is to use it in line with your power steering (low pressure side to cool the fuild).
Old 04-25-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Well i have manual steering so i couldnt use the cooler for that haha. I never new that trans pressures got that high. I ran 3/8" braided SS rubber lines on the cooler for the TH400 that was in car. I would have definately went with metal lines if i had know pressures got that high!

I was looking to use it as only a partial oil cooler not a full flow cooler. My oil lines are -10an out of my pan and 1/2" NPT everywhere else.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Transmission cooler fittings are too small. Some low-RPM applications can use -8 for external oil lines, but the accepted norm is -10 (5/8").

The system noted above is a good option. If your oil temps don't go above 240-250* continuous I would not worry about it.

Quick Reply: Can you use an automatic transmission cooler as oil cooler?