Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 62 Impala Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to let you know this is the coolest project in here. I had a 62 bel air and a 63 biscayne wagon. Like everyone says about at least one of there cars should have kept them.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks again everyone! Going to try to get all the brakes finished and bled so I can move this thing around a bit this weekend.

GT- Nice wagon man! I'll post of pics of my wagon so you can check the beast out, haha... Your has a ton of untapped potential!

Speed Inc- That car you've got is super sweet man!

Lucky- Thanks man, I miss those 2 F-Bodies too bad you can't keep them all you know?

HD- Thanks man, hopefully I can keep progressing as a decent rate! Got a lot of work to go still though.

Here's a few pics of my wagon too, incase anyone might want to buy one and do their own project

Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Brads454

Here's a few pics of my wagon too, incase anyone might want to buy one and do their own project

Why can't I live in California? That's a nice wagon!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

The wagon is killer. You can't buy anything in northern Pa. older than 95 without checking for rot but even then you push your luck.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very cool project. I love those old Impalas.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

damn brad! lookin good!
Old 01-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Teching In

I'm very interested in this build as I am putting an LS1 & T56 in a '61 Biscayne. Keep the info coming. Looks great.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys!

Finally got the headers in and installed somewhat.. Gotta re-do some brakelines and see if the inner fenders will still fit or I need to cut them. But at least I can finally bolt the motor down and get ready to get this thing running.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Default ...

any updates? I have a 64 i want to swap it out to an lq4. any tips?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Nice 62!!!!!!!!! Really looks good!!!!! This is exactly what i will be doing to my 62. What do you think about the LS2 out of the Trailblazer? I just purchased a LS2 out of a 08 Trailblazer SS complete with trans, wire harness, ecu, fuse box, gas pedal, all sensors, etc. I want to install it into my 62 impala. I want to eliminate as many problems as possible before i begin the swap. What do i need? Has anyone done this swap? Where can i get the engine and trans mounts from? Do i have to convert to the car accessories for clearance or will the truck accessories be ok? What about the Oil pan, does it need to be replaced? What is the simplest wiring harness to purchase? What type of radiator do i have to use in order to hook up the trans lines? Should i use the drive by wire gas pedal or convert to cable?

I pretty much need a detailed guide of what to do. All of your help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! I would like to purchase the least expensive parts as long as they dont comprise quality.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 62pala
Nice 62!!!!!!!!! Really looks good!!!!! This is exactly what i will be doing to my 62. What do you think about the LS2 out of the Trailblazer? I just purchased a LS2 out of a 08 Trailblazer SS complete with trans, wire harness, ecu, fuse box, gas pedal, all sensors, etc. I want to install it into my 62 impala. I want to eliminate as many problems as possible before i begin the swap. What do i need? Has anyone done this swap? Where can i get the engine and trans mounts from? Do i have to convert to the car accessories for clearance or will the truck accessories be ok? What about the Oil pan, does it need to be replaced? What is the simplest wiring harness to purchase? What type of radiator do i have to use in order to hook up the trans lines? Should i use the drive by wire gas pedal or convert to cable?

I pretty much need a detailed guide of what to do. All of your help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! I would like to purchase the least expensive parts as long as they dont comprise quality.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/60biscayne.pdf
Old 01-28-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Excelent build....great year, '62.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Wow, those headers are sweet! Where did you come across those? :ponder:

I would bet you'll loose almost a 1/3 of your inner fenders, but it's worth it for that routing option.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 62pala

Thanks for the compliments on the car everyone!

Yes other people have done the swap already. As far as mounts I'm using BRP mounts and their headers (brphotrods.com) Since I'm using a six speed I had to cut the floor boards to relieve them for the T-56 w/ these mounts. Also the headers are really nice but I'm going to have to figure out how to redo my brake lines to the master cylinder and how to save my e-brake since I had to removie the wheel for it cause of the headers routing. I do love these headers though! They are killer looking and the build quality looks sweet! I'm not sure if you can use the truck accesories or not. I got my wiring harness from Speartech Wiring (he made my last LSX conversion harness too, I like his work... Speartech.com) I haven't gotten to the radiator part yet, but am going to try to get there ASAP. I am going to go drive-by-wire, but it may be more cost effective to run a cable, since you don't have to buy the pedal and box to make it work.

Wow, those headers are sweet! Where did you come across those? :ponder:

I would bet you'll loose almost a 1/3 of your inner fenders, but it's worth it for that routing option.
Thanks, they do look killer! I got them from BRP Hotrods as stated above. Still haven't had time to mock up the inner fenders to see how they'll fit or need to be cut though.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice..
Old 01-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

hey Brad, cool car. I have a 62 lined up to buy, just cant afford a Camaro. I live in San Ramon also. pm me with your phone number. I'd like to stop by and check out your car. I'm planning on doing the same conversion! Thanks, Scott!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Check your PM's Scott.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Just keeping everyone up to date... Having some issues with the headers hitting the body on the passenger bottom side w/ the collector where it bolts to the primaries... Also the drivers side primaries are super close to the slave master cylinder and they run right where the e-brake wheel goes so I'm kind of at a loss with what I'm going to do... I can go Mcleod billet master cylinder and high-temp fluid, but I need an e-brake w/ an M6 car and all the hills around here... The passenger side I might be able to do some cutting on the headers, but I hate to cut up brand new parts and still have it be a "might fit." Trying to get ahold of the guys at BRP to see if these were fabbed up for an auto or m6 car, but they're hard to get ahold of... So stay tuned!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw in one of their posts that ALL of their headers are, currently, designed for an automatic car. They made it sound like they were going to start working on M6 headers.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Teching In

I was able to get a response from BRP right after seeing your new headers, but am still waiting for details. Have you tried to call Shawn? How much do these headers run, if you don't mind me asking. Are they stainless or coated mild?

You might be able to get a lokar e-brake setup that will replace the factory setup. I found the brackets to use C5/C6 calipers and rotors, and will need to devise an.... other than OEM setup on my '64. They've got floor mount and 2 different under dash setups that wouldn't need that pesky plastic wheel on the firewall/floor board area.

Also, you might be able to tweak the header while it's installed with a ratchet strap or a come-along. It would depend how much you need for clearance....

I know it might be/would be ugly, but a heat sheild might do the trick for your master cyl. An 1/8" aluminum sheild that could be polished and backed with heat wrap comes to mind.

Quick Reply: My 62 Impala Project