Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street rod swap/Tall accesory drive ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street rod swap/Tall accesory drive ?

I'm swapping an ls1 into an early ('35) street rod with a narrow but tall engine compartment. The hood sides do not allow the wide brackets as seen at S&P. Anyone know of brackets that will position alternator and AC upward and in the width of the motor?

I have a ton of room above the water pump the whole width of the block and heads.

Looking to put the alternator and ac up and back to save space in front of the motor. A common billet specialties system puts the ac to the front of the Passenger head taking up the room I need.

The space is tight below with a manual r&p so f-body/corvette system won't do it.

Thanks for replies figured someone had been in the same situation.

I've checked:

-Alan Grove
-Concept one
-S&P
-March
-Billet specialties
-Synister
-Vintage air
etc

Last edited by 03 snake; 08-20-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on forum member Oscar Will. He has a 35 Ford sedan with an LS1 and all accessories. Maybe send him a PM. He checks in so he may see your message. He's a helpful guy.

Pat
Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

I sure will Pat thanks for the help.

Last edited by 03 snake; 08-20-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Crap. When I was shopping around for my LS1 setup, I SWEAR I saw one that was the typical street rod setup high and between the valve covers.......I can't remember where I saw it....

I'll try to remember and report back.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds great thanks for the help.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 snake

I'm swapping an ls1 into an early ('35) street rod with a narrow but tall engine compartment. The hood sides do not allow the wide brackets as seen at S&P. Anyone know of brackets that will position alternator and AC upward and in the width of the motor?

I have a ton of room above the water pump the whole width of the block and heads.

Looking to put the alternator and ac up and back to save space in front of the motor. A common billet specialties system puts the ac to the front of the Passenger head taking up the room I need.

The space is tight below with a manual r&p so f-body/corvette system won't do it.

Thanks for replies figured someone had been in the same situation.

I've checked:

-Alan Grove
-Concept one
-S&P
-March
-Billet specialties
-Synister
-Vintage air
etc
Neat old truck, hope to see more of it. I had the same problem with my '34 Ford coupe. I had originally built mine for a smallblock Ford many years ago, and had only set the firewall back 3". When I installed the new LS2 recently, I had no room for fan or accessories. My solution was to build my own accessory drive to mount AC and ALT. up top, and use late model waterpump to give more room up front. It wasn't difficult and so far it has worked very well. I have only driven it a few hundred miles so far, but I have run it above 6300 RPM several times with no problems Mine is made out of mild steel, which I flame cut and ground smooth and then painted, but you could just as easily water jet it out of aluminum or stainless and polish it. I have maybe a $100.00 total in mine, but you pay your money and you get to choose. Oscar Will also has a '35 which must have a wider frame than my '34 because he has his accessories mounted down low, which would be impossible on my car. Besides, I like mine up top where they are easily serviced. My car is carbureted, but I think you could still come up with a system that would work. I included a few pictures you can click to enlarge and good luck on the project!! By the way, this setup clears the hood side panels and gives plenty of room up front for a good fan system.
Attached Thumbnails Street rod swap/Tall accesory drive ?-cp56.jpg   Street rod swap/Tall accesory drive ?-cp57.jpg   Street rod swap/Tall accesory drive ?-cp60.jpg   Street rod swap/Tall accesory drive ?-cp61.jpg   Street rod swap/Tall accesory drive ?-cp62.jpg  

Old 08-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks alot for the pics it gives me some good ideas for mounting. Looks very nice.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

This may be too easy, but look at the standard truck mounting on an LQ4/LQ9/L92. They have the high alt mounting and the PS pump/A/C are both tight.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the F body stuff with a modified LS2 pump. Old narrow cars are a pain in the rear in some instances.
Attached Thumbnails Street rod swap/Tall accesory drive ?-img_0158-small-.jpg   Street rod swap/Tall accesory drive ?-sedan-1-08009-small-.jpg  
Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys very helpful.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Update- Motors in. Finishing the fuel system and wiring this week. Will start messin with the brackets next week. I'll try to get some pics in next week..

I could not stand to put it in stock so I picked a thunder racing mild cam, springs, better oil pump, etc and installed them while the motor was on the stand.

BTW I am looking for the flanges and lead pipes that bolts to stock f-body exhaust manifolds if anyone has stock stuff laying around. I assume the pass side lead pipe has an o2 bung in it, since the drivers manifold has one installed in it?

Thanks all appreciate the advice.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

You might call around to salvage yards. The pass side 02 is in the cat. They can't sale you the cat but I had them cut the flanges off of both cats and mail them to me. A local muffler shop built me a lead tube using the flange from the cat.

Quick Reply: Street rod swap/Tall accesory drive ?