Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX Fox body swap...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX Fox body swap...

Well I'm in the process of starting this build and I've been researching several threads, but I think someone should make a general LSX Fox swap thread with some general parts that make the headaches easier (although I do tip my hat off to the pioneers of the swap!!)

General concensus I've read is : AJE k-member,kooks headers, fabbed trans mount(?) 6speed or auto.

some of my questions are - what ECM and Harnesses is everyone using(stand alone,FAST engine management,BS3?), 6 speed guys what are you using for clutch slave cylinder etc, is there any issues with brake booster, power steering etc.

Is the swap any easier using an F-body motor vs. truck motor (TBSS)

Thanks in advance, and yes I just started my research and I have several threads bookmarked and I thank you!!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:50 AM
On The Tree

Well for the trans mount you are just going to modify your stock crossmember (foxbody) or fab one up and use the factory mounting points. My car has an auto and I was able to use the factory "ears" or mounting tabs and just modified the factory 4cyl trans crossmember. As for headers and K member....yes - IF you are looking to buy things off the shelf and ready to install/use then the AJE and Kooks combo is pretty much it. If you can fabricate or have someone helping you who can - you can use just about any 96-04 Kmember and modify factory mounts pretty easily. Then the headers would be custom or modified mustang headers on GM flanges. For ECM I think the ease of use with the Fbody ECM is hard to beat. I am running an ECM from a 99up Fbody with an OS from 02 SS Camaro I believe. Harness can be had many places and can be done on your own as well pretty easily if you have a good harness to start with. Out of all the harnesses out there I would say Speartech has the best reputation and REALLY knows their stuff. They will build the harness how you want it and to do want you want.
As for motor to use.... It really does not matter. What does matter is what front accessories you choose to use. Again the most common and easiest to use IMHO is the Fbody front accessories. The truck stuff works as well but not as clean or easy without a little bit of tweaking.
No issues with the brake booster. You can even upgrade to the Cobra/SN95 booster which is larger and still have room.
For power steering you will use the GM pump and brackets and need to have both the pressure line from the GM pump as well as the original pressure line from the Ford rack up to the pump - with these you can take them to a hydraulic shop and have them make you a custom line. The low pressure line is a real no brainer..... it is just rubber hose that goes from the pump to low pressure side of the rack. If going manual steering then I would look into which fits your budget best. The Flaming River is great quality IMO and is available anywhere really. For my car I used a UPR Kmember and the factory power rack, I had to lengthen the factory steering shaft a bit since the modular Kmember moved the rack location forward. I think I added about one inch..... A custome shaft would also be a very easy fix.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the build.

Dave
Old 09-05-2008, 02:50 AM
On The Tree

WOW..... Sorry for that ENORMOUS run on sentence. LMAO

Quick Reply: LSX Fox body swap...