Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starter

have 6liter w/ls1 top end in my 68 firebird. will cold start perfectly everytime but if i drive it a little and shut off then try to restart, the starter will make an noise but the engine does not turn over. if i turn the ignition on off a few times it will fire back up. do i have a bad starter? my voltage is staying between 12-13 volts.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Still fuel injected? have you verified voltage at the starter and are you using any type of relay device (solenoid).
Old 10-22-2008, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like heat soak. Either put a heat wrap around the starter or look into a remote(ford)starter solenoid. If you go the remote solenoid route keep in mind that these starters are permanent magnet starters.

Last edited by SMAX; 10-22-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

is the starter noise the sol. trying to kick in? you could have a dead spot in the starter windings, or a bad stricker plate in the sol.
also ck all conns. for being tight
Old 10-22-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fact your voltage is staying so high means the starter motor itself is probably not drawing any current. Teh solenoid may be trying to work (the click) but isn't engaging hard enough to put power to the starter.

Try wedging a screwdriver across the two big lugs on the back of the starter. If it works then you are probably not getting enough volts to the start terminal on the starter. Most people call this heat soak and fix it by using a remote solenoid. It is caused by a weak solenoid and the voltage drop through the key start wiring.

What I would do is first make sure your battery terminals have been recently cleaned. Then you can take the solenoid apart and clean the contacts on the copper disk that shorts the two big lugs together from the inside. Lube up all the moving parts on the starter so everything engages smoothly.

You can try jumpering a wire straight from the battery to the S terminal to see if that makes a difference. If it does, trace the start wire back from the solenoid and clean with emery paper every electrical connection you see. If it still doesn't work, then do the remote solenoid.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well if you do decide that you need a starter I have new ones in stock at a reasonable cost...
http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc.../95047/oess210
Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts

Will the remote starter solenoid work on these kind of starters? Because I tried it on my LTD wagon, just because it was already there, and the ignition switch was wired to it. But, it would hang the starter up for a second or so after the engine started, every single time! Then I wired it like a GM and it works fine. At least that's my experience with it.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Default starter

thanks for the advice. i will check it out more now.

thanks
Old 10-23-2008, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Will the remote starter solenoid work on these kind of starters? Because I tried it on my LTD wagon, just because it was already there, and the ignition switch was wired to it. But, it would hang the starter up for a second or so after the engine started, every single time! Then I wired it like a GM and it works fine. At least that's my experience with it.
It works as long as you don't run a jumper wire from the battery terminal to the S terminal. The reason it hangs up is because a permanent magnet starter can produce power its self(like an alternator), and if you have a jumper wire from the S terminal to the battery terminal it just powers its self for moment after you release the ignition switch.

Use this diagram.
http://novaresource.org/starter.htm

Quick Reply: starter