Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E36 BMW M3 LS1/ M6 has begun

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info, are you running a throttle cable or drive by wire system? just trying to figure out if that harness schematics would work for my app and give you credit. So did you say that with the steering mod you were able to use some block hugger headers to fit? congrats on the timeline of completion, post up pics!

Last edited by Redy2Go WS6; 12-25-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by unnatrl
changing the shifter cup on the GTO trans to an F-body shifter cup
i also have a gto trans, just tryin to understand what the shifter cup is.. i knew that a fbody shifter was necessary, so did the f-body shifter not fit well so you had to change this part too?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shifter cup is the part that you see when the shifter is actually off of the trans... there is a nylon insert that goes into it. It has to be changed because the Fbody shifter doesnt fit correctly with the GTO cup (handle is positioned incorrectly and gears 1,3,5, & rev are difficult to engage). Search LS1Tech and you will find a great thread on this exact concern.

Regarding the steering column, I moved it toward the driver about 1.5". I cut the stock mounting point off, welded a flat plate & support bracket and drilled a few holes in the plate to match up with the stock bolt location. It sounds much more involved than what it really is. It was necessary to make clearance for the large steering joint that comes immediately out of the firewall. The steering shaft I made allowed me to use a set of Hooker block hugger headers that cost about 220.00, the steering shaft cost about 300.00 (3 joints, the shaft material, and support bearing). For 520.00 and a little patience I was able to avoid the 3,000 headers. Well worth the effort in my opinion. Clearance is tight, but it works...

I will try to get pics posted when it is completed. Sorry... but my time is better used right now finishing the car up so I can go waste my first set of tires!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

I will try to get pics posted when it is completed. Sorry... but my time is better used right now finishing the car up
But yet you are using your time to post on ls1tech... It won't take but a few seconds to load up some pictures.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your swap. One of my previous cars was a 99 M3. I loved that car, but it was way down on power in my opinion. You have just solved that problem! I may have to build one of these in the future now. It would make an awesome daily driver. I'm not as handy with a welder as you are though. Would you be able to make that piece you were talking about to move the steering 1.5" or supply some sort of diagram that I can have a shop local to me in Phoenix build one? The steering is the only part of the swap that is scaring me. Otherwise I think my tax refund money is going to be spent on looking for a E36 chassis.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

The shifter cup is the part that you see when the shifter is actually off of the trans... there is a nylon insert that goes into it. It has to be changed because the Fbody shifter doesnt fit correctly with the GTO cup (handle is positioned incorrectly and gears 1,3,5, & rev are difficult to engage). Search LS1Tech and you will find a great thread on this exact concern.

Regarding the steering column, I moved it toward the driver about 1.5". I cut the stock mounting point off, welded a flat plate & support bracket and drilled a few holes in the plate to match up with the stock bolt location. It sounds much more involved than what it really is. It was necessary to make clearance for the large steering joint that comes immediately out of the firewall. The steering shaft I made allowed me to use a set of Hooker block hugger headers that cost about 220.00, the steering shaft cost about 300.00 (3 joints, the shaft material, and support bearing). For 520.00 and a little patience I was able to avoid the 3,000 headers. Well worth the effort in my opinion. Clearance is tight, but it works...

I will try to get pics posted when it is completed. Sorry... but my time is better used right now finishing the car up so I can go waste my first set of tires!
good job, seems like you're coming along quickly. Hell, I purchased my roller back in March and have really only been able to put a few hours a week into it. Only recently has it come about to resemble a car, and move under its own power Its also buried in a few feet of snow right now, so it wont get any more love until its dug out glad you got the hookers to fit, I have a set lying around that I've been meaning to test fit as well...nice to know there is another option besides the Sandersons. Throw some pics up when you get a chance!
Old 12-26-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good point.... but I have to take some pics that you can actually see....

Soon my friends, soon!
Old 12-26-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TurboAv
Congrats on your swap. One of my previous cars was a 99 M3. I loved that car, but it was way down on power in my opinion. You have just solved that problem! I may have to build one of these in the future now. It would make an awesome daily driver. I'm not as handy with a welder as you are though. Would you be able to make that piece you were talking about to move the steering 1.5" or supply some sort of diagram that I can have a shop local to me in Phoenix build one? The steering is the only part of the swap that is scaring me. Otherwise I think my tax refund money is going to be spent on looking for a E36 chassis.
I will get a pic of the bracket I made, it was really easy. It literally took 2 hrs to remove the column, modify, and re-install. I think I ate lunch somewhere in between as well.

I will get get pics posted as soon as I can, apparently there is a ton of interest in this project.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Redy2Go WS6
good info, are you running a throttle cable or drive by wire system? just trying to figure out if that harness schematics would work for my app and give you credit. So did you say that with the steering mod you were able to use some block hugger headers to fit? congrats on the timeline of completion, post up pics!
I'm using a cable throttle system... Summit sells a throttle cable through Lokar for the LS1.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Good point.... but I have to take some pics that you can actually see....

Soon my friends, soon!
You are killing us. We needs pics. Its just a matter of time before someone pulls out the "this thread is useless without pictures" card. Consider yourself warned by the one and only U.L.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

ask and it shall be given!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, its about time. I may have to hold out a little longer now....
Learned that from my ex wife....
Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 AM

I see that LS1 in M3 is quite popular I have BMW M3 E36. Previous engine: 3.2. Right now: 5.7 LS1. Here are some pictures:
http://www.karolinapilarczyk.pl/silnik/silnik.html
And here engine first start up:
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...3112008002.flv

Old 12-29-2008, 08:49 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice
Old 12-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

holy crap, you just saved me bigtime!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, its about time. I may have to hold out a little longer now....
Learned that from my ex wife....
No need to hold out since no one here is f___-ing each other... that we know of.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmilz28
No need to hold out since no one here is f___-ing each other... that we know of.
True... my god damn camera broke. Figures....

I will get pics soon gents, I promise!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, here is the latest update.

The car runs, I drove it around the block several times. I had to "mark" my territory on the maiden voyage! Good thing my neighbors are good people

There are a few probs that need to be dealt with-

Electric fan blade came apart (didnt destroy radiator)
Hydroboost is binding up, causing front brakes to lock down, gets worse as you drive further distances.
Drive line is rubbing on exhaust heat shield every so slightly
SES light is on, MAF AND o2 codes present

For anyone that is curious how the car stops with the hydroboost, it is incredible. The brakes feel 10x better than they did with the stock master cylinder. As long as you get one that isnt trying to work all the time...

I also picked up a set of E46 M3 front seats, as my driver Vader is torn pretty bad. The bolt holes in the rails are really close to just bolting in, so fitment is no problem. There is a +12 power wire, and a ground wire... and now we have power/ lumbar seats.

Pics of the entire project are coming soon!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Pics Pics Pics

Here are a few pics of the car.... 95% done.

I need opinions....

GTO or Pontiac G8 fuel rail covers?
Attached Thumbnails E36 BMW M3 LS1/ M6 has begun-m3-029.jpg   E36 BMW M3 LS1/ M6 has begun-m3-039.jpg  
Old 01-25-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Pics of modified steering column

As requested earlier in the thread- pics of the steering column bracket. The pics were taken with the column in the car, but you should be able to get an idea of how I did this.
Attached Thumbnails E36 BMW M3 LS1/ M6 has begun-m3-018.jpg   E36 BMW M3 LS1/ M6 has begun-m3-010.jpg   E36 BMW M3 LS1/ M6 has begun-m3-021.jpg  

Quick Reply: E36 BMW M3 LS1/ M6 has begun