Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E36 BMW M3 LS1/ M6 has begun

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
Gabe says you're friends with Boyer and used to work were we work. Also you're related to Danny over at Hewes somehow. I'm sure we've met somewhere sometime. Had to of.. HAHA, I still wanna see this beast
Yea, I have known Boyer since 8th grade. Dan is my stepdad....
Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by allthrotle
HAHAHA I know Tappan, and Tappan is talking about a mazda not a nissan but its not cyiphers mazda hes talking about.
Would you believe he is a NHP ramp rooster now? I dont....
Never saw that coming!

Sorry Cyipher... I guess you arent e-famous! Not yet anyway!

Where do you guys work?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unnatrl
Would you believe he is a NHP ramp rooster now? I dont....
Never saw that coming!

Sorry Cyipher... I guess you arent e-famous! Not yet anyway!

Where do you guys work?
Picnic, cyipher, supralsx and myself all work at summit.

I definetley did not see Tappan becoming a nhp officer. Thats a little weird.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm surprised you guys hadnt heard about the car before. I am always in there buying stuff for it. Hopefully not as much now... nearly complete. Are you in phone sales or????
Old 02-11-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah we're on the phones. Do we come across as retail employees hahahahaha shhh. I hope I don't
Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok guys, the alternator died on me! A GTO alternator is a pain in the *** to find, so I went with an F-body style. I have to change the support bracket and the wiring plug, but I was able to get a 145 amp alternator for 60.00 less than a stock GTO 130 amp. I also installed the new O2 sensors and the low rpm miss went away. Thank god! The exhaust now consists of 2 additional mufflers- total of 3, it is finally toned down to where it is acceptable. Now we get to fabricate an alternator support bracket....
Old 02-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Looks good. Im sure its alot of fun. i enjoy my e30 build, and soon to be my e36!

Last edited by wbwhiteboy; 02-14-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Project update:

I finally got the alignment done, the car handles just as it did before. I have to be much more careful not to stab the throttle and loose the rear tires now...

The aluminum drive line is gone, it was too big in diameter. It was rubbing the floor board in 2 or 3 spots- annoying as hell! I went with a standard steel shaft that is closer to 2", so far so good.

I also decided to modify a set of corvette fuel rail covers instead of the GTO or G8 covers. Too many people look at me weird when I tell them it has a "Corvette" engine as it is... when they look under the hood and see it for themselves they cant argue...

Next up is making the cruise functional. I already have the cable connected to the throttle body, but it doesn't engage. I'm not sure if its missing a speed sensor signal, or maybe a combination of things. Off to the garage....
Old 03-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Any more updates? Looking at the pictures of your car, I love the stock M3 look sitting on the Contour wheels! I'd really like to see some under hood pictures though!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have about 1500 miles on the car. Its been a ton of fun to drive! I'm still working on a few small issues... the P/S whine is annoying me to no end, A/C needs to be functional with summer coming, etc.

I have already converted the alternator to an F-body type, and I am in the process of converting the P/S pump as well. The GTO replacement parts are very hard to find and very expensive. Its cheaper to swap it all over.

Thats it for now!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Teching In

I know some others have asked for this, too, but can you post some pics of the steering shaft mods? I see what you did in the passenger compartment to move the column, but I would like to see the engine bay side of things.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 154 Likes on 118 Posts

I also decided to modify a set of corvette fuel rail covers instead of the GTO or G8 covers. Too many people look at me weird when I tell them it has a "Corvette" engine as it is... when they look under the hood and see it for themselves they cant argue...
Ha..got to love ignorance.

Looks good bro.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by enginesong
I know some others have asked for this, too, but can you post some pics of the steering shaft mods? I see what you did in the passenger compartment to move the column, but I would like to see the engine bay side of things.

Thanks in advance!
I didn't modify the column in the engine bay. I made a custom steering shaft... I'm not sure what exactly you are asking to see. Are you after a pic of the steering shaft?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Teching In

I didn't modify the column in the engine bay. I made a custom steering shaft... I'm not sure what exactly you are asking to see. Are you after a pic of the steering shaft?
Yes, I would like to see pictures of the custom steering shaft. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

this thread cracks me up. all you ************* know james and you dont even know it. kris he used to hang out with boyer all the time when we hung out at longley. youd know him if you saw him.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LILHEMI
this thread cracks me up. all you ************* know james and you dont even know it. kris he used to hang out with boyer all the time when we hung out at longley. youd know him if you saw him.
Sorry I'm getting old and forgetful
Old 09-28-2009, 04:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
Sorry I'm getting old and forgetful
w3rd
Old 10-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Teching In

So I just read all 6 pages and will reread them again. So unnatrl do you have a final build cost for your project yet? Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Talking

Originally Posted by dynamowhum
So I just read all 6 pages and will reread them again. So unnatrl do you have a final build cost for your project yet? Thanks for sharing.
In all honesty I have stopped counting. At this point, I still spend money on the project but it's in the interest of fine tuning things. The initial cost I listed was pretty close, within 500.00. If you are smart this can be done pretty reasonably. Since my last update I have installed gears in the diff (3.91) and love it, and installed a radiator with outlets both on pass side. This allows the air filter to be placed in drivers fender well instead of engine bay and I was able to re-install the washer fluid bottle. I plan to install a cam and dyno tune the car in the next few months. The last isnt necessary... but I have been bit by the speed bug. The car went 110MPH on a stock motor in the 1/4 mile in Sacramento, Is 115-118 possible when cammed and tuned, I may even add a 100 shot of NOS? We will see...
Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

It is good to see other people out there doing the LS1 swap! As for your question, yes it is possible to trap 116-118 mph in the quarter mile. I have done it many times with my best time 12.3 @ 116 mph! I have a comp cam Extreme XER-273HR14 and a good tune and ran that with street tires, an open diff (3.91 gears) and about 180 lbs of stereo equipment in the trunk (not including the spare tire) for traction! Nitrous sounds like a good next step to get into the 11's for sure!!!
Good Luck!
Luke

Quick Reply: E36 BMW M3 LS1/ M6 has begun