Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miro's LS1 240 Drift Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009 | 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the vid. Ughh. Straightened out like a noob in the first turn... lol.

Haha. Noticed at the last minute I forgot to paint the gas door (and door handles), so had to be black.

I had plenty of camber in those first two events (about -5.5 in front, -2.5 in rear needed to fit tires in fenders), so I don't think that's the reason for the weird handling. Really, the only problem I have with it is how hard it "snaps" when I transition from drifting left to right. And I'm pretty sure that's because I have no front sway bar right now. In one of the videos I've seen, you can see that the front rolls and "bites" really hard on transitions. With the sway bar in there, the front would stay level, and the front tires wouldn't bite as hard. But it does look really awesome when it transitions like that and I'm actually able to catch it without spinning out... haha.

So basically I just need to figure out how to get that bar in there. Right now it hits the oil pan, and when I put on a spacer to space it down, it hits the tension rods. Also, I can't flip it upside down like some people suggest because I have oil lines and crap in the way.

So here's an actual recap of the weekend.

I spent all of last week just trying to get the bodywork together, trying to break in the clutch, and changing the clutch fluid like every day because the stuff kept turning black. I put on the stock hood temporarily so that there would be time to put clearcoat on the vented hood, but while driving on route 4 one night to pick up Eulises, the NRG hood pins popped off and hood flew up. Those pins just wouldn't align properly, and it was really hard to lock them in, so I wasn't too surprised. So I put on the vented hood with no clearcoat for now.

I managed to get the car together for Friday morning to meet up at Slidewayz and drive to upstate New York 2.5 hours for the D-faction event. About an hour into the drive, we got into some serious traffic, the temp climbed to about 200 (from normal 180ish) but was holding relatively steady. All of the sudden, I have coolant all over the windshield and steam everywhere. The upper rad hose popped off I guess because the rubber just relaxed from heat cycles, and I never retightened it. Got the hose back on, refilled, and off again.

An hour later cruising on the highway, the car just shuts off. I thought I was out of fuel (fuel gauge still not working), but then Andrew points out the giant puddle under the back of my car. The feed line going into the regulator came off. Yeah, I retightened every rubber hose on the car after this... lol. Anyway, made it to the D-faction event with no other issues (besides exhaust hitting everything on the road).

Got like 8 runs at the event throughout the night. The car was ridiculous, way more powerful than I expected, sooooo much easier to drift. Spinning the tires in 3rd and 4th gear was not a problem. Got a lot of compliments from people and gave rides on like every time out... lol. People were really into it. I started getting more comfortable with the speed and kept entering the first turn faster and faster (despite Andrew's warning of the fence at the end of the turn... lol). Well, I spun out on one of those entries and went backwards into the fence, which ripped my wing off, no other damage to the car. There was supposed to be a competition, but only me and one other guy had a cage, so we just did a couple of tandem runs for fun. It was my first time doing tandem, so he followed me both times and gave plenty of room. The course was pretty messed up by that point, so it was impossible to drive normally. We both ended up eating some cones and losing fiberglass here and there.

Coming out of the track, a check engine light came on and seemed like car started running rich... could also see a bit of smoke coming from the left side exhaust when standing and idling for a while. Got home and scanned it, got a code saying low voltage on left O2 sensor (P0131 or something). The autozone wire conduit I used to wrap the O2 sensor wiring extension was melted to ****. Wire conduit from the stock harness in the same area looked perfectly fine... wtf. So replaced the O2 sensor and made new wiring extension just to be safe on Saturday morning. Also changed the clutch fluid (yes... again!), tried to get slightly messed up body kit to stay on, and a few other things here and there.

There was supposed to be a Formula D Pro-Am competition on Saturday at the hot import nights show, so I wanted to try to get into that. But Kareem calls me in the afternoon and tells me that only 4 cars entered, and two crashed in practice, so they're calling it off. But there's going to be a demo instead. So I grab two new tires and head down to englishtown, manage to get through the traffic and get to the demo in time. Everyone was cool about it, and just let me in even though I didn't register, car didn't get teched, etc. At first we started out driving a course, but spectators got bored after a while, so they just said to go out and do exciting things... lol... which was cool. It basically turned into a contest of who could get closest to the wall where the spectators were standing. Chris Forsberg gave everyone a lesson in awesome drifting like inches from the wall... actually clipped it a little and ripped off his rear bumper. Fans got really into it. Hung out a bit after the show, and then drove back. Was pretty interesting driving in the rain on the turnpike, no wipers, no windows, bald rear tires. A lot of people coming back from the show were passing by saying stuff like "holy ****!!! You drive it on the street??" .. lol.

So next big event is East Coast Bash in Englishtown May 30th-31st. Also going to try to make the event next Wednesday night at E-town for a couple of runs to finish off what's left on the current tires.

Had a couple tablespoons of oil in the catch can when checking everything over on Sunday. I guess that's normal since I was revving high for extended periods. Took off the valve covers to make sure nothing crazy going on. Everything looked nice and clean. I'm loving this motor so far.

My to do list before East Coast Bash:

1. Make louder exhaust with more ground clearance.
2. Lower car.
3. Somehow put sway bar on.
4. Replace CNC clutch master cylinder with Wilwood.
5. Replace all crappy worm gear clamps on coolant hoses with t-bolt clamps/fuel injection clamps.
6. Make new wing stands, and put wing back on.
7. Drain coolant, refill with straight deionized water and water wetter.
8. Change PCM settings to turn on fans sooner.
9. Wrap 02 sensor wiring in good insulation.
10. Mount lots of tires
11. Build cage for Kareem for East Coast Bash

Going to get pretty busy, will post pics of new stuff getting done in next few days.

Last edited by miro; 05-20-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2009 | 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

The oil in the catch can being a couple table spoons is very normal. I get about 1/4 cup every 1000 miles in normal driving in the S10. Not all oil...some is condensation mixing in also. But a few tablespoons in hard driving is cool. Car sounds great though. Will love to hear it louder. Also, I did the whole deionized water and water wetter and I actually ran about 5 degrees hotter than I did with just straight green coolant. I actually tried the water and wetter twice thinking maybe I had air trapped somewhere...but both times ran a little hotter. Some have good luck some have bad luck with it. But still 200 is cool for these motors. I can get to 210 220 with AC on in traffic no problem at all. And for a first real drive....you had few issues really. Nice to bad.
Old 05-20-2009 | 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I figure I'll give the water + water wetter thing a try since a bunch of coolant is going to leak out when I change all the clamps. But I have a feeling the Mishimoto fans just don't flow enough. They're fine in normal driving, bring the temp down relatively quickly when the high speed turns on. But they're pretty useless when you start beating on the car. The temp just keeps rising until you stop and let it idle for a while.

I know these motors are built to run above 200 (was pretty surprised at how high the fan temps were set on the stock tune), but I'm assuming that's just for better emissions performance or something. Have lots of ideas if overheating becomes a problem (big oil cooler, better fans, radiator water sprayer with ice tank in trunk, and if all else fails, take off bumper and hood... lol).

Sweet, here's me being a jackass trying to hit the wall... lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-s3h...eature=channel

Last edited by miro; 05-20-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2009 | 07:42 PM
Teching In

wow I would be trying to stay Away from the wall......... LOL looks great Broski
Old 05-23-2009 | 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Looks good Miro, sounds mean too. What mufflers did you go with? I remember they were a bullet style which is all I can fit.

I like the wiring job, I think you should wire my buggy.
Old 05-24-2009 | 01:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s142jzkillav10
wow I would be trying to stay Away from the wall......... LOL looks great Broski
Spectators want cars near wall... lol.

Thanks Chris. I had the Moroso mufflers on in the video clip. I think they're called spiral flow or something. But people were saying it's too quiet, and ground clearance was ****. So I rebuilt the exhaust in the last few days. It's now 3" true dual side exit with no mufflers. Pretty ******* loud. Like lawn mower on steroids. And it blows all the dust to the sides when I go down the road... lol.

Almost done with the rear part of Kareem's cage. 2-day cage build... Woohoo! Some welding action. Haven't done this in a while.

Old 05-24-2009 | 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

want to sell the mufflers? what are the dimensions?

i was planning on getting for my truck anyway.
Old 05-24-2009 | 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by miro
So next big event is East Coast Bash in Englishtown May 30th-31st. Also going to try to make the event next Wednesday night at E-town for a couple of runs to finish off what's left on the current tires.
Whats the spectator fee? I might take a bus out to new jersey from new york just to check out the car. And to get my motivation on picking up a car for drifting as well... im originally from florida, we have drift days once a months... not much to do here in new york.
Old 05-24-2009 | 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

spectator fee is usually 15 for one day or 25 for both.

where in ny are you? theres a lot to do here.
Old 05-24-2009 | 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Miro if brewster240 takes one of those mufflers I'll take the other one. Let me know what you want for it.
Old 05-24-2009 | 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redz88
Whats the spectator fee? I might take a bus out to new jersey from new york just to check out the car. And to get my motivation on picking up a car for drifting as well... im originally from florida, we have drift days once a months... not much to do here in new york.
That would be awesome. I'll give you ride along if they allow.

Mufflers are scraped up on the bottom and slightly flattened. No cracks or holes or anything but they are a little beat up. So I dunno? $30 for driver side (less fucked)... $20 for passenger side (somewhat more fucked)? Summit sells them for $50 each. They have 4" diameter case and are 16" long. Here's the link:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

PS. These sound really nice, not raspy at all like you would expect from crappy small mufflers. Has a nice low rumble.
Old 05-25-2009 | 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brewster240
spectator fee is usually 15 for one day or 25 for both.

where in ny are you? theres a lot to do here.
Ridgewood Queens, Its SUPER boring around here lol

That would be really cool, ill PM you my cell number later. I'll probably take a bus from 42nd to old bridge, NJ cause I have family down there.
Old 05-25-2009 | 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sick build.
Old 05-26-2009 | 03:00 AM
TECH Regular

Mufflers are scraped up on the bottom and slightly flattened. No cracks or holes or anything but they are a little beat up. So I dunno? $30 for driver side (less fucked)... $20 for passenger side (somewhat more fucked)? Summit sells them for $50 each. They have 4" diameter case and are 16" long. Here's the link:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

PS. These sound really nice, not raspy at all like you would expect from crappy small mufflers. Has a nice low rumble.

bring the less damaged one to ecb and ill take it. sound good?
Old 05-26-2009 | 07:38 AM
On The Tree

I'll take the less nice one.
Old 05-26-2009 | 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brewster240
bring the less damaged one to ecb and ill take it. sound good?
Yep, I'll bring it.

Originally Posted by ctd450
I'll take the less nice one.
Give me a call when you want to come pick up. Not in garage tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2009 | 12:50 PM
Teching In

Sick! I cannot believe how great this car has turned out. It sounds great.
Old 05-27-2009 | 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Finished Kareem's cage on Monday. Installed Wilwood last night and wrapped heat shield around clutch line. Only drove around for like 5 minutes since neeeded to get sleep and stuff, so don't know if clutch fluid will become poo again. But I'm already happy with installing this thing. It bleeds super easy, like 3 pumps and it was done. CNC was stupid to bleed... sometimes it's OK, sometimes it just doesn't suck in any fluid, and the master just stays full no matter how many time you pump. Also, pedal pressure is somehow way lighter and easier to modulate with wilwood even though they're both 3/4". Yeah, so hopefully this works out. Going to an event at e-town tonight to test stuff out.

Also really happy with the exhaust so far. It quiets down once the car warms up and idle drops. So you can actually have a conversation at normal volume inside the car. But still really nuts when you rev it and ridiculous backrap (is that what it's called?) when you let off. Best part is I haven't bottomed out even once on the street yet, just small scrapes when I go in the driveway in the wrong spot. Can't wait to lower this thing further. Going to look badass!

Going to try to find some way to install sway bar tomorrow and make new TALLER wing stands on Friday. That's probably all I'll have time for before east coast bash. Will probably lower the car at east coast bash when we get bored after like 10 hours of drifting.

Jeff, I'll give you a call sometime Saturday or just find the car and say hi.
Old 05-27-2009 | 03:53 PM
Teching In

damn looks awesome. great job
Old 05-27-2009 | 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Damn man, great build, just spent the last 45min reading it...lol and I got out of work a half hour ago. Gotta love 240's (I've had 4)..lol Just started a build thread of my own.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post11663273

Quick Reply: Miro's LS1 240 Drift Build