Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miro's LS1 240 Drift Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can go pretty aggressive and not worry about any valve issues

im running over a .600 lift cam and have NEVER had any problems. even at 6800rpm in 3rd gear bouncing the rev limiter for 10 seconds at a time hehe. just make sure you run a GOOD dual valvespring.

and get it tuned. the stock tune is junk even for a stock motor.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Teching In

E-town? Are you in North Jersey?

It looks like you've got a pretty good build shaping up... the work welding replacement panels for the rusted ones seems very well done.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frojoe
VERY nice build. I'm going to be getting a '92 in just about a week, and I'm not sure how long I'l be able to hold out before I buy an LS!/T%^ for it.....
Nice, post some pics when you get it. Drive it with the stock KA for a while so you appreciate the LS1 more later... haha.

Originally Posted by Kamin
you can go pretty aggressive and not worry about any valve issues

im running over a .600 lift cam and have NEVER had any problems. even at 6800rpm in 3rd gear bouncing the rev limiter for 10 seconds at a time hehe. just make sure you run a GOOD dual valvespring.

and get it tuned. the stock tune is junk even for a stock motor.
That's true. As long as you have really stiff valve springs, you'll never get valve float. But stiff valve springs put stress on rocker arms and push rods.

But wow, 6800 RPM. That is sweet. I would be clenching my *** cheeks at that RPM waiting for it to pop. I guess I've just been very conservative after my first KA popped at an event in June. The course was kind of a killer with a really big loop, and I was over 6k for 20-30 seconds.

I'm taking all of these engine suggestions into consideration before I make my final decisions.

Originally Posted by nalc
E-town? Are you in North Jersey?

It looks like you've got a pretty good build shaping up... the work welding replacement panels for the rusted ones seems very well done.
Yep, I'm in Leonia, renting the garage in Fairview. Thanks, I'm trying to make the repairs as strong as possible... have seen several people with serious rust have the strut tower sheet metal actually snap off and go up into the hood. That is the fear that motivates me in these repairs .

OK, time for a little update. I didn't get as much done as I was hoping for this weekend. I was helping my friend Mel (UsJdmtuner) get a bunch of things done to his car to prepare for the Drift Nirvana event at Summit Point on Saturday. We're going to take on the triple skid pad of death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPxzb5f7u-M)... haha. It's actually quite safe... should be a good time.

Installing some Tomei LSD action in Mel's car.

Best part of Mel's car so far: Bride Zeta III seat. So nice. Highly recommended. Check out the burberry door panels and shifter boot... lol.

Now back to rust. Finally got it all cut out of the left front.

Patched up the lower frame rail and firewall. Getting the curve of the firewall right took a long time. (Let's hope I got it in far enough so it clears the wheel... should probably check this.)

Also, the frame rail is double layer (16 gauge and 18 gauge), so I decided to mimic that by welding in pieces flush with the rail, then grinding down the welds and welding another piece covering the original patch.

Inside the car. I had to cut out the mounting plate used for the foot rest because it was rusted underneath, so still need to make a new mount for that.

The good news is that there isn't much rust anywhere else in the car. I have to patch four small spots in the floor and a piece of the rocker panel. These are all either flat or have a simple curve, so shouldn't be too bad after left front is done. Then, I can finally start on the cage. Have been looking forward to doing it for so long.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribing! The build rocks and the great detail and pictures makes for good reading. Good welding skills on those patches too. Cant wait to see it all done and in action. Its gunna feel like a whole new beast

Have you driven a 240 LSx car before? Have you drifted one?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Build looks amazing so far.

Subscribed.

Makes me wish I had my trans right now so I can finish!
Old 12-08-2008, 04:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice work, hope to start mine soon but I still need a tranny also

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Ahhh, i remember my S13 Coupe.... That thing rotted out from under tisself.

Good luck with the build man, enjoy

Btw, HUD conversion?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
subscribing! The build rocks and the great detail and pictures makes for good reading. Good welding skills on those patches too. Cant wait to see it all done and in action. Its gunna feel like a whole new beast

Have you driven a 240 LSx car before? Have you drifted one?
Nope. Have tried drifting two 240s besides mine and a Miata, so the most powerful car I've ever driven had a wopping 205 hp (stock SR20). So this should feel pretty good.

Originally Posted by AmIdYfReAk
Ahhh, i remember my S13 Coupe.... That thing rotted out from under tisself.

Good luck with the build man, enjoy

Btw, HUD conversion?
Ya, 240s suck at not rusting. I wish I lived in CA. No HUD, it's a base model.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by miro
Nope. Have tried drifting two 240s besides mine and a Miata, so the most powerful car I've ever driven had a wopping 205 hp (stock SR20). So this should feel pretty good.
Wow, yeah having double the most hp you have ever seen in a car like that will make it seem like a whole new animal you will have to learn. But in a good way because it will be a car you know and love but with the added pleasures of one of the bests engines out there right now price:power:dependability wise. Cant wait to see more progress.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Yep. Will have to learn that the throttle is not an on/off switch.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

biggest thing for me was having to think MUCH farther ahead in terms of throttle modulation. the rotational mass of a LS+T56 is a motherfucking shitload more than a SR/RB/KA/other nonsense so youll find yourself lifting off the throttle to make corrections and the wheels just KEEP SPINNING lol.

one thing that i had to learn too was the on off switch you mentioned. its not a turbo car. you cant drive it like WOT/off/WOT/off/WOT/off like you can with a SR. its more like WOT/50%/30%/50%/WOT haha
Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 AM
On The Tree

Subscribed

hey leonia is pretty damn close to the city you ever come to the ifxx.com meets???
Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Don't go to the meets, but have met a few people on IFX (Mel, Carlos, Arthur, the people that go to Drift Nirvana... see Mel's car above).

Mel was telling me that he could hear your car from a mile away at the Christmas party... haha. Nice.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by miro
Don't go to the meets, but have met a few people on IFX (Mel, Carlos, Arthur, the people that go to Drift Nirvana... see Mel's car above).

Mel was telling me that he could hear your car from a mile away at the Christmas party... haha. Nice.
yeah sh*ts pretty loud...you should come out some time check it out plus id like to see that V when your done!!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing this biotch come alive!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kamin
biggest thing for me was having to think MUCH farther ahead in terms of throttle modulation. the rotational mass of a LS+T56 is a motherfucking shitload more than a SR/RB/KA/other nonsense so youll find yourself lifting off the throttle to make corrections and the wheels just KEEP SPINNING lol.

one thing that i had to learn too was the on off switch you mentioned. its not a turbo car. you cant drive it like WOT/off/WOT/off/WOT/off like you can with a SR. its more like WOT/50%/30%/50%/WOT haha
Should be fun learning to drive it. Anything is better than having a motor so weak you need to clutch kick several times through a corner to keep the RPMs up and tires spinning.

Originally Posted by RUTH'LESSDET
yeah sh*ts pretty loud...you should come out some time check it out plus id like to see that V when your done!!
Will definitely come out to some meets when it's finished.

Originally Posted by colby72olds
Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing this biotch come alive!
Me too Nice car, btw. Looks good.

Last edited by miro; 12-09-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

What do you guys think about the GM ASA cam?

0.525"/0.525" Lift
226/236 degrees Duration
110 degrees LSA

Pros
* Low lift (safe at high RPM)
* Long duration (can eat more air at high RPM)
* Should work well with low back pressure exhaust (has 5.5 degrees overlap, but reversion shouldn't be an issue with low back pressure exhaust)

Cons
* May have poor idle due to some reversion
Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Nice build!
Good thats it's not just me who has rust problems...

Im building a Skyline R32 with LS3, but its mainly the same, so If you have any question, don't hesitate to contact me.

Skylines Australia

Subscribing...
Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Teching In

How do you like the hammer buddy? yeah i visit Miro's car almost every day and its been a lot of progress.. NO joking around.. wish that i can fit my s13 in the garage to work on mine.. sucks working outside on driveway...damn LS1 is taking too much space bro.. oh wells, youll be done in no time and i can start building mine.. btw, i worked on the e-brake, rolled fender, battery tray, strut bar on the s13..... didnt get a chance to check the front suspension noise cause it was raining hard today...ok get back to work homie
Old 12-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Teching In

wtf dude.. no updates yet.. im bored out of my mind here...lol...

Quick Reply: Miro's LS1 240 Drift Build