Sponsored by:

Need HELP!!! 68 Chevelle with LS2

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Teamscss.com
VIN:

P/N 92189621 you found is a PIM module (powertrain interface module)

"With a Tech 2®, observe the engine RPM and the control module voltage in freeze frame and failure records for the DTC(s) set. If the engine RPM is zero or lower than idle speed and the control module voltage indicates less than 9 volts, this may indicate a low battery condition had occurred to cause these codes to set."

Control module voltage is also ignition voltage as read in the PCM data list. Makes sense that the other module is the PIM. I'll check the PCM P/N via VIN.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

P/N by VIN is a 12596679 and according to our parts locator there is no stock availible. It would have to be what GM calls a **** case and that is where they send out a message to any US dealer who may have one and they take it. Usually this happens when GM is having an issue with a part and they are being changed frequently. Or they pulled the parts inventory and are making changes to it. I would say swap the PCM like you were initially and see what happens. That bulletin reads funny. I wouldn't put it past GM to have that in there as a typo or something like that. I even checked with GM's parts Tech line and they said there is no superceeded part number for this. Sorry if I caused any confusion. G
Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Will do,
thanks
Old 12-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Update:

Got a new PCM in today, plugged it in and what do you know, TAC motor works.
MF I was giddy and pissed at the same time. Giddy that all is OK now with exception of VATS, yet pissed off at Cleveland Pick A Part for making me spend so much time on the repair of their *uck up.

VATS to be cleared tomorrow and Hopefully I can run it on Friday.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Update:

Got a new PCM in today, plugged it in and what do you know, TAC motor works.
MF I was giddy and pissed at the same time. Giddy that all is OK now with exception of VATS, yet pissed off at Cleveland Pick A Part for making me spend so much time on the repair of their *uck up.

VATS to be cleared tomorrow and Hopefully I can run it on Friday.

Thanks everyone!
Good news man. Dont rule out that the original E40 suffered some problem in the VATS flash though! Odd things do happen even if you tuner followed his normal process. Dont throw it out. Get it flashed via TIS/Tech II/J2534 device , and then you may find the throttle works again. No one except GM really knows how much these ECM's do weird things for good reasons, which are not readily apparent.

Cheers.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Teching In

That's worth a try.
My tuner requested a TCM along with a PCM ( he states that when connecting a PCM from an Auto car it automatically looks for a TCM). So once he deletes the VATS does he sync the PCM and TCM together? In other words, Once i receive everything back from my tuner, wil I be able to reflash original PCM (with a TCM linked to a newly flashed PCM) via TIS? I just don't want to lose TCM sync, if there is one.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

That's worth a try.
My tuner requested a TCM along with a PCM ( he states that when connecting a PCM from an Auto car it automatically looks for a TCM). So once he deletes the VATS does he sync the PCM and TCM together? In other words, Once i receive everything back from my tuner, wil I be able to reflash original PCM (with a TCM linked to a newly flashed PCM) via TIS? I just don't want to lose TCM sync, if there is one.
HP Tuners wants the TCM attached. EFILive is not so fussy, and more convenient in that sense. Horses for courses.

Not aware of any PCM/ECM synch. With your faulty PCM reflashed via TIS, just a matter or checking whether it does as expected and operates the TB.

If not, then it is a brick, if it works ok, then your tuner will probably disable VATS for you etc and you will have a spare.

Cheers.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Thanks again

Abo
Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To my knowledge the TCM doesn't care what VIN is in the PCM. You can just use TIS to put in the same VIN and OS so your tuner doesn't charge you a second liscence fee. TCM won't care what VIN is in front of it.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jfg455
To my knowledge the TCM doesn't care what VIN is in the PCM. You can just use TIS to put in the same VIN and OS so your tuner doesn't charge you a second liscence fee. TCM won't care what VIN is in front of it.
That's right. ECM/TCM dont care what the VIN is (yet). If your tuner uses a commercial unlimited version of HPT, then no license consumed, if he purchases by ECM/PCM, the different serial number in the ECM will consume a license slot, which has already been used for the first E40.

Cheers.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Reflashed the stock PCM over the weekend with TIS and the problem still exists. I guess I have a new paper weight.
Customer picked up his Chevelle, giddy as a school girl, loves everything about it, especially the ability to diagnose everything through an OBD2 port. Isn't technology wonderful?!

Thanks to all participants once again. I love this LS1TECH forum, lots of brilliant minds lurking around in here.

Quick Reply: Need HELP!!! 68 Chevelle with LS2