Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 in a 1971 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
So I installed the blower and have it nearly done.

I purchased an OEM LSA tensioner, but the provision for a breaker bar to relieve tension is opposite the pulley rather than integrated into the arm, and it hit the hood. Luckily Gates and Dayco have pretty good online catalogs and I was able to find something that should work. I'm waiting on that so I can finalize my AC/tensioner bracket and figure out belt sizes. I'll also need to put together a PCV system. Any of you boosted fellows want to point me in the right direction? Oh and the hood hits the supercharger (I closed it off with fiberglass last summer), and the grill will need to be trimmed to fit the heat exchanger (turns out it's 3" not 2.5" like I thought!).

The last major hurdle is tuning the car. I don't have HP Tuners, so I'm asking if anyone has the MPVI hardware that I could borrow or rent to get my feet wet. PM me please. I realize I need to download the VCM suite and buy credits, which isn't an issue. I'm merely looking for the hardware for a short period, maybe a week or two. And if I get the hang of it I'll ship it back and buy my own.

This build is fantastic. I've been watching your build for years for my own Nova build. That's very cool that you chose our 551521X-1 Alternator-Power steering bracket. Glad it's working out for you so far.

Don't let me throw too much of a wrench into your plans; I'll just offer some insight into what we've been finding out and developing. We started utilizing the new Gen V LT4 Supercharger tensioners on our SC kits, as they are easier to package and are a fraction of the cost of the original LSA Tensioner. I'm sure you've already seen this kit, but if you end up considering running the SC belt on the LS3 Camaro 6-rib line, we do have this kit as an option: 551135-3-508.
This would constitute a change to the L99 water pump, which is extra cost, but we could fix you up with the spacing of the Alternator-Power Steering Bracket - no problem. Don't mind the belt routing in this picture, this kit offers a few different routings depending on what the engine has on the driver's side. Let me know if you have any thoughts or inquiries that we can help you out with. Keep up the build, it looks like it's going really well.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 539 Likes on 339 Posts

Looking great man!
Old 06-24-2020, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 Nova Seat Brackets

Clint, I'm still finalizing the design. The driver's seat currently has 3/16" thick by 2" wide plate steel, with some holes drilled in it to bolt it to the seat and the floor (you can see it at the bottom of the pic below). The passenger's side has a couple aluminium pieces I CAD'd and had water-jetted. I'm working on iteration 3, a fully boxed design to assist in installation, especially drilling the floor. The first design flexed too much due to the location of the inner floor-mount holes. I've since moved the inner floor mounting points to directly under the seat rail (the far left holes have been removed). I'm planning on selling them if you're interested. It'll be MUCH less expensive and MUCH lower than Corbeau's brackets ($125 apiece, btw).

Corbeau will shave the seat bases up to 1" for $45, if I remember correctly.

FYI - I have a to clean up my LS harness first, THEN I'll start looking into the T56 swap.

bczee, I like your setup. I've got some time to figure out the direction I'm going, so I'll keep that and the drill mod in mind.

I am completly new to this site and I'm not sure if I'm reaching out the right way but I'm looking to purchase the seat brackets from you if at all possible?
Old 10-11-2020, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I realized that I haven't updated this thread in a while, but I finished the swap at the end of May. It made about 575 hp/585 ft-lb to the wheels at 9.5psi of boost, with an outside temperature of 106° (I'm sure inside the shop was much lower, but it was still brutally hot). I haven't driven it much since then, due to Phoenix summer heat, working from home, an issue with my home-built accessory drive (maybe install error/bolts not torqued properly), steering system woes, and then burnt spark plug wire, but what little driving I did do included lots of smoke. Even with 650+ hp on tap, the car was able to stay cool in 110°F heat with the AC on. We will see how my accessory drive holds up long-term. Until then, have a video.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

good reslts what are your combo spec?
Old 11-02-2020, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

I just found your YouTube videos. Very helpful
Old 02-22-2021, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

At the beginning of the year, I got to meet the legend himself and fly my new drone around his yellow bombshell. This car is stellar in person! Turns out the guy driving it is pretty cool too. Please enjoy this little video we put together...

Old 02-22-2021, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Great job on the video, and like you said nice car!
Old 02-28-2021, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Fueling

I realized that I haven't updated this thread in a while, but I finished the swap at the end of May. It made about 575 hp/585 ft-lb to the wheels at 9.5psi of boost, with an outside temperature of 106° (I'm sure inside the shop was much lower, but it was still brutally hot). I haven't driven it much since then, due to Phoenix summer heat, working from home, an issue with my home-built accessory drive (maybe install error/bolts not torqued properly), steering system woes, and then burnt spark plug wire, but what little driving I did do included lots of smoke. Even with 650+ hp on tap, the car was able to stay cool in 110°F heat with the AC on. We will see how my accessory drive holds up long-term. Until then, have a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUYr-PkclAM
what size supply and return fuel lines are you running.....I couldn't seem to find the part where you mentioned fueling. ....sorry, I put a lsa on my 370 lq9 nova with a inline 380lph pump and it ran great for about a week then the pump just died, so I bit the bullet and bought a holley efi tank with a 400lph intank pump....I'm just concerned about my stock 1/4" return line now.....

Quick Reply: LQ4 in a 1971 Nova