Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheobox install: difference between GTO and F-body accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sheobox install: difference between GTO and F-body accessories?

I've read the long thread here on installs in 55-57 Chevys and it seems that the only accessory that hits the cross member is the a/c compressor. I dropped my '04 GTO motor into the frame of my '56 yesterday and it hits on the alternator, too.

If other folks were using f-body motors, are the accessories mounted different than a GTO motor....maybe the GTO alternator is mounted lower?

Are f-body and GTO brackets completely interchangeable? If so, I can fix this problem with brackets from Kwik Performance.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The GTO accessories are laid out very similarly to the F body, but the alternator, A/C compressor and PS pump are all different. The A/C bracket is practically identical to the F body piece; I think it just has an extra mounting tab on it. I'm 99.9% sure you could put an F body compressor on the GTO bracket. The main alternator bracket looks the same, but could be slightly different. The alternator is a completely different piece, and so is the rear alternator bracket. I wouldn't be too surprised if it hung a bit lower than on an F body. PS pump and mounting are quite a bit different than the F body, but the pieces are in similar locations.

Your best bet might be to try an F body alternator out and see if it fits into the bracket that is on the front of the block. If not, you could just get an F body bracket, IIRC it's not too much for the aluminum piece. You most likely could used the idler from the GTO bracket in that case. You'd also need the rear bracket for the F body, too.

Quick Reply: Sheobox install: difference between GTO and F-body accessories?