Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRP Swap Mounts REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down BRP Swap Mounts REVIEW

Well one of our friends who was in the military asked us to swap his 72 nova with a LS1. He found the mounts from BRP that were made for his Nova. Mounts say everything will fit without cutting or major fabrication.

Review

Either BRP didn't test the Nova or they just severely messed up our mounts.

Problems:
1. Motor mounts had to be notched to make the motor fit. Even after notching and mounts completely loose we had to pry the motor into place.

Either the mount wasn't made right or something but there was no way it would match up before we modded the brackets.

2. Transmission mount with no trans in the tunnel will not match up to factory locations. We double checked everything for position and direction. If you line up one side the other side is a good 1/4-1/2in off.

3. We had to literally split the tranny tunnel open to get the transmission enough room to move up to a reasonable angle. Even after cutting the body the tranny mount is super tight against the transmission. We have to jack the transmission up into the body to get the urethane mount in.

Needless to say not happy. 500 dollars I would expect a lot more. I made my mounts for my Nissan for 60 bucks and they fit like a charm.

Just a heads up for Nova owners. I haven't seen any issues with the Camaro body. I guess the transmission tunnel is larger.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help with the rest, But, is it possible that the Nova has lowered body/subframe mounts? That would cause the transmission issue you are having.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what trans? 60e? remember, too, that the build quality on older cars isn't what it is now - that could factor into why the mounts don't line up.

i fabbed up a set of mounts for my '71 - it's much cheaper. there's a thread in the sticky section that has a blueprint for the carshopinc style mounts. I'm sure you could use that.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it's a T56 its not surprising that the tunnel had to be cut since the BRP mounts place the engine higher than most to allow the stock accessories to clear and to compensate for the depth of the pan they are using.

Phil Brewer used to be on the forums all the time but he seems to have disappeared.

Don
Old 12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Don't waste your money on the second generation f body mounts from Phil,
They don,t work either.The EFI fuel tank (spectra) Phil sells for 77& up firebirds will not fit(unless you cut the spare tire well out of the trunk.) I never tried his headers put I did try his converson pan (hummer) with his mount kit and the pan hung so low that it wasn,t safe for grass hoopers to cross the street.
This forum is to HELP people Phil, Not to SCALP them.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

The Website says the T56 will fit without issues. To my knowledge the car is un touched other than being repainted. If they lowered it then they did a good job finding factory dry rotted rubber to install.

When we researched we expected it was a great possibility we would have to cut. Just the website and instructions say no cutting needed.... I understand also workmanship has changed but this was off in multiple areas to the point we have to move the mounts 1/2 to 1in out of alignment to make it fit.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:53 PM
13 Second Truck Club

i made my mounts easy my first guess ended up perfect cant say much about a t56 but my 80e only needed the crossmember center lowered 1/2" to 3/4" and used a old style truck mount one set of the factory crossmember holes lined up just had to drill two
Old 12-16-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

all the brp crap look cheap and poorly made to me.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

bump for hoping this gets taken care of and for BRP, they are stand up people with some really good and innovative products.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

I've not had a problem with the BRP peoples at all, hopefully this iwll get taken care of in a timely manner. Next time you may want to discuss this with them personally before bringing it to light, as to get both sides. Not flaming anybody, just saying that it would be a good idea
Old 12-18-2008, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blubaldmontess
I've not had a problem with the BRP peoples at all, hopefully this iwll get taken care of in a timely manner. Next time you may want to discuss this with them personally before bringing it to light, as to get both sides. Not flaming anybody, just saying that it would be a good idea
Not everyone has had problem free experiences with BRP. I wish there were more post like this brought to light before I spent my money on their kit.

He was offering his honest opinion which is hard to get sometimes on these sponsor supported type forums. He posted his experience with the kit and BRP got their chance to explain. Anyone who is looking to purchase from them now has valuable information from both sides to look at.

Quick Reply: BRP Swap Mounts REVIEW