Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Turbo Thirdgen winter project

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009 | 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

camaro accesories are 3/4in in towards the block more that truck acc. Also you can run the f body intake with a truck water pump if you cut off the cruise tab on the t body bell crank. It will clear with a 1/8in. You have to open up the square hole in the cable bracket if you are using the truck cable. If you are using a camaro cable then you are all set. We used this setup in the 6.0l T76 99 mustang we just built. G
Old 01-02-2009 | 08:52 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by jsmcortina
but if parish is already having success with his setup, then it is probably safe to go with that.
other than a 5 minute start up and idle we have not tested our set up yet. with no fan to drive i am hoping it is ok but we will be keeping an eye on it. we may have to add another idler in there somewhere to get more wrap on everything, that is something like a 140amp alternator and we will be asking alot out of it at times so it might slip.
Old 01-03-2009 | 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jfg455
Also you can run the f body intake with a truck water pump if you cut off the cruise tab on the t body bell crank. It will clear with a 1/8in.
Good advice! Although I had to hammer the pipe a little to gain the required clearance. Saved a lot of hassle with changing the pump.

(I hope this helps the original poster to avoid thread hi-jack)

James
Old 01-03-2009 | 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used a 98 intake with an 04 truck water pump if that makes any diference. It was close but cleared the hose without any hammering. But each motor/intake/water pump setup might be a little diferent. G
Old 01-08-2009 | 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn...how'd I miss this? Good lookin car man. Work so far looks good too. Ill be keeping my eye on it to see how it goes. Im anxious to see how she runs!

J.
Old 01-08-2009 | 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

Ya I have been lacking on updates. Intercooler is mounted, and being 31x12x4, it takes up the WHOLE nose. I sat on the intercooler after I had it bolted in, and it didnt move, impressive for a 6' 5" guy that weighs 260lbs. Everything is here or on the way to finish up the car but for the DS parts (using a local shop), converter, full manual VB and Tbreak, HPTuners, a surp belt, screw in IAT sensor (dont have one at all currently). Ordered a blem set of 3.5" bends, got 20 for $120, they are 60% 45s and the rest are 90s. Still waiting for the TC78 to ship out as well. I have still been trying to sell my 383sbc parts, and thats going slow at best. So if it goes all off of paychecks, I have another 2 months before everything is ordered. If parts were sold, the car would be running with in a month.

Dont mind the radiator lower mount, I did that 2 years ago with what was laying around, and was in a rush. Its held up, and hasnt really rusted even not being painted. I will probably clean it up some and paint it this weekend.

Last weekend I also bought another thirdgen. Didnt take any pics of it yet. Its a teal 92 formula that had a 305TBI with MINT black interior. Got the roller for $450. The guy trying to sell it had a TPI motor in it, said it came out of a 85GTA and that it was a 350 lol. Also stated that it had a crane 252 cam in the otherwise stock L98, and 86lb injectors cus the stock 43s were not enough, and yes, he ment all 8, at that point I just gave up trying to talk to the guy, and paid for the car and left lol.

Dad bought the roller off me, as he wants a new toy, and has never been down a drag strip, so Ill be building that car up for him in a month or so. Going with a 454/TH400 until money starts coming back in this spring, and may end up with a big cube BBC n/a shooting for high 9s.

Tossed out the grey seats already for a black one just to see how a good seat felt. I am pleased.

Old 01-09-2009 | 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 01-11-2009 | 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

latching on looking good man.
Old 01-12-2009 | 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Keep up the progress man
Old 01-12-2009 | 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaxxMitchell

Dont mind the radiator lower mount, I did that 2 years ago with what was laying around, and was in a rush. Its held up, and hasnt really rusted even not being painted. I will probably clean it up some and paint it this weekend.

thats ok. Looks like your intercooler mounts are in the same skill level. But don't fret, some people dont have the seeds to even attempt what you are doing. The fab skills will come with more practice. Keep it up! G
Old 01-14-2009 | 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where did you end up putting the oil drain in the pan? I was going to weld a fitting to the front of the pan but when i got the fitting i realized theres no way a -10 is going in front.
Old 01-14-2009 | 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 4SFEDSS
Where did you end up putting the oil drain in the pan? I was going to weld a fitting to the front of the pan but when i got the fitting i realized theres no way a -10 is going in front.
Ya, I am kinda stuck at that point right now too. I think is what might happen is get some round stock, weld that to the pan, and build up enough to then drill through the fitting and into the pan.

I didnt realize how room limited it was up there until I got the bung, guess ill be doing some research on what others have done.
Old 01-15-2009 | 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Very cool,
Do I see a stock F-Body water pump in there now?

Rob
Old 01-15-2009 | 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by robbied31
Very cool,
Do I see a stock F-Body water pump in there now?

Rob
Yes you do, its all be swapped over to Fbody acc now.

Just got the regulator/fuel lines done last night, and pressure tested to 90 PSI for 2-3 mins to make sure there were no leaks.

I have been working on repining the harness from the 03 DBW truck set up to match a 02 Fbody, I try to spend about 1-1.5hrs on it a night.

Still waiting on the TC78, Fed Ex came by yesterday and left a note asking for a signature, guessing thats either the 411 ECM I have coming, or the turbo, I hope its the TC78

Pretty sure all the major things thats left to get done is finish up the DP/exhaust, driveshaft, wiring, and order a converter and the FMV/Tbreak set up.

Hp tuners is on the way, and got the heads sold from the SBC so theres the money to pretty much finish up the car, so everything should be here in 2 weeks or so.

I cant wait to hear what it will sound like with the hooker max flow on there
Old 01-15-2009 | 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

TC78 came in today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the Dp flange/clamp with it as well, so now I can finish the turbo kit. Got really far on the harness tonight, just gota add in a few connectors and its pretty much done and ready to be laid out and fitted to the motor.
Old 01-18-2009 | 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

What do you think about putting the oil drain here, is there enough room between the pan and the crossmember in that location, even if you had to use an angled swivel end?
Old 01-19-2009 | 03:18 AM
TECH Regular

I will need to check again, but I think the motor mount blocks that area, unless you feed it with a 90* fitting, ill snap a picture monday where I might put mine.

But for an update on the car, turbo is on, waste gate has been attached (not pictured but is below the waterpump), exhaust is all done from down pipe back, and laid out the cold side.

Messing around trying to see if I can lower it much more then an inch.

Exhaust was not on the car at the time, but the trans is still the lowest point.
Old 01-19-2009 | 05:07 AM
TECH Resident

looks good can't wait to see it.
Old 01-27-2009 | 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you get a chance to take a look at that drain location on the pan?
Old 01-27-2009 | 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Yep, just got the pics of the oil drain, got kinda busy. The pan/fitting was dropped off today to a local shop to do the tig welding.

I have an edge converter, trinity mvb/tbreak setup in the mail, should be here this week. Hopefully the trans looks good when I get into it, if so I will have the car together for the last time this weekend, and hopefully ready to fire soon after.

Got to work on alot of the rust in the car, floor board is repaired, sealed, and undercoated.

Quick Reply: 5.3 Turbo Thirdgen winter project