Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the LS1 ECU & harness be used to run other engines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
The crank sensor mounts into the LS engine block where its in close proximity to the crank reluctor wheel.
Yeah thanks - if you read down a bit you'll see what I'm trying to do , which is run a ford Cleveland with a 0411 ecu , the 24x reluctor I've mounted on the balancer just trying to figure out if rotating the sensor in relation the the reluctor is a problem - cheers
Old 10-14-2021, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Now there's something you don't see everyday. I take it you have provision's for the cam and other sensors the ECM needs....Good luck with it..
The following users liked this post:
zg knightrider (10-30-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Very interesting...

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...arness-to-351C
Old 10-14-2021, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Now there's something you don't see everyday. I take it you have provision's for the cam and other sensors the ECM needs....Good luck with it..
Thanks

Have my Holley dizzy made into a LS 1x cam sync already - really just need to figure out if the crank sensor can be mounted in any orientation - being the plug faces up - worried that being a dual input it needs to face a certain direction - cheers

I made a test crank sensor bracket, now I'm making a more solid one that's adjustable but if the sensor can only face with the plug forward it makes it more difficult

Old 10-15-2021, 11:33 PM
Teching In

New crank sensor bracket made, I'm just facing the plug backwards so rotated 180 degrees from how it is in a LS, so figure that will work.

My harness turned up so another piece to the puzzle - still lots to do like mount the coils on the tappets covers, I'm also fitting stack injection so all that to sort out as well but getting the tricky bits done for now cheers

Old 10-23-2021, 03:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 476 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by zg knightrider
So no one ?

What if I use a crank position sensor from a 7.4l would be a better fit

You revived a 10+ year old discussion. Lucky anybody responded. When doing searches, look at thread dates. You will get many more responses from recent topics. some of the old threads are from people who are no longer here.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
You revived a 10+ year old discussion. Lucky anybody responded. When doing searches, look at thread dates. You will get many more responses from recent topics. some of the old threads are from people who are no longer here.
In this case I would think reviving an old post is better because what he's doing is uncommon and there probably aren't any newer posts that covers the topic. Even if the people are no longer around the information already posted is still relevant.

If this were my project I would have just looked at what the aftermarket (Holley) has to offer, The price in the end isn't that much more and it's probably plug and play and offers logging and so on.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

For others contemplating using the 0411 PCM on an alternate engine with a dizzy and other "older technology," I'll just throw this out there.

The 0411 PCM was also used with the truck Vortec V8 engines (5.0L and 5.7L) which had a dizzy, with the camshaft position sensor in the dizzy and a 4 lobe reluctor wheel for the crankshaft position sensor. You'd need the wiring harnesses for the Vortec engine, and you wouldn't want the OS or the calibrations for the LS1, but you could use the Vortec OS and cal files as a starting point. That PCM was even used with the 4.3L Vortec V6 after MY 2000.

Old 10-23-2021, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
In this case I would think reviving an old post is better because what he's doing is uncommon and there probably aren't any newer posts that covers the topic. Even if the people are no longer around the information already posted is still relevant.

If this were my project I would have just looked at what the aftermarket (Holley) has to offer, The price in the end isn't that much more and it's probably plug and play and offers logging and so on.

Yeah I knew how old the thread was, thought it better to keep the info all in one spot

I've had Holley HP Terminator EFI - was good but the ecu died so thought I'd try this for a change

Anyway cam and crank sensors sorted hopefully, I'm fitting up the ITB injection then I'll move on to wiring up the ecu - I can keep posting updates if it's interesting enough or not - so many treads post like this that don't get to the end

01CamaroSSTx (10-24-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

What ITB system are you running?
Here is mine, Englese ITB into a street legal sprint car I'm building.

The following 2 users liked this post by LLLosingit:
RedXray (12-18-2021), zg knightrider (10-26-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah I knew how old the thread was, thought it better to keep the info all in one spot

I've had Holley HP Terminator EFI - was good but the ecu died so thought I'd try this for a change

Anyway cam and crank sensors sorted hopefully, I'm fitting up the ITB injection then I'll move on to wiring up the ecu - I can keep posting updates if it's interesting enough or not - so many treads post like this that don't get to the end
really cool setup.

where do you pull a signal from for the map sensor? i would imagine it would be more jumpy on a single cylinder system like that or no?
Old 10-24-2021, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 840 Likes on 643 Posts

Why wouldn't you use a Holley EFI system?
Old 10-24-2021, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 350SS
really cool setup.

where do you pull a signal from for the map sensor? i would imagine it would be more jumpy on a single cylinder system like that or no?
I've seen MegaSquirt on a V8 with independent throttle body using maps that were based solely on throttle position and RPMs. You can get it to run that way.

I've also put together a small "vacuum manifold" for one ITB V8 engine. The tube from each throttle body to the port on the head had a small threaded boss with a hole in it, with a small (M8x1.0 IIRC) banjo bolt with a banjo to a 1/8 ID hose nipple. the 1/8 ID vacuum hoses went to a small box "manifold" that was about 1" x 2" x 3" long, and the MAP sensor was mounted on that "Manifold" along with a fitting that a check valve and hose nipple were threaded into for the vacuum line to the brake booster. They were able to run speed density off the MAP sensor in that little "vacuum manifold."
zg knightrider (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 03:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 350SS
really cool setup.

I've linked all the runners together and made a little vacuum manifold which will have map sensor, also remote IAC

The itb setups is from Speedmaster - fit my 3v heads well - good kit so far

Old 10-26-2021, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
What ITB system are you running?
Here is mine, Englese ITB into a street legal sprint car I'm building.
Here's the same kit on a chev SB

Old 10-26-2021, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

I've linked all the runners together and made a little vacuum manifold which will have map sensor, also remote IAC

The itb setups is from Speedmaster - fit my 3v heads well - good kit so far

Cool build and I'm looking forward to seeing this engine run.
zg knightrider (10-26-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 07:03 PM
Teching In

I had a little test fire to see how it's all wired and to check timing.
the timing is about 40 degrees btdc so that needs working out - and 20 degrees on the reluctor is like 4 teeth so it's not out that much out- but I'm only going by a internet pic of what the crank sensor lines up with @ comp 1 TDC

The other issue is that it's only sparking on a threw cylinders, I am using the truck coils d585, I've move coils to check that, check ign leads, check pwr and earth and coil plugs
I'm using a ebay LS1 dbc harness and I'm using holleys lsx coil harness - question is are the d585 coils wired differently ? Will is the Holley harness suitable ? Cheers -
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-321

I also replaced all the crappy split tube with that braided self closing wrap - so much nicer

Another question I haven't fitted knock sensors yet , will that play havoc with me just trying to do a dry fire and check timing - thanks

Old 10-30-2021, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 141 Posts

Not having a knock sensor hooked up won't affect it starting. What kind of car is this going into? Looks kind of like a Mustang?
Old 10-30-2021, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Not having a knock sensor hooked up won't affect it starting. What kind of car is this going into? Looks kind of like a Mustang?

ZG Fairlane
Old 10-30-2021, 06:01 PM
Teching In

I need to reconfirm that the crank sensor should line up with the alignment hole as in this pic and also that the cam sensor should be at the leading edge of the halve moon reluctor - all @ compression 1 atdc

Quick Reply: Can the LS1 ECU & harness be used to run other engines?