Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of rear end?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What kind of rear end?!?!?!?!?

Ok I have a 63 Chevy II and its a straight six. I want to do a carbed LSX conversion but the problem I have is that the drums on the rear end are four lug. Im not sure of the gear ratio but would it be capapable to keep that rear end change the axles and the gears? Or would my other option be to just put in another rear end? What kind will bolt right up with little or no modification???
Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

you can buy a 12 bolt rear end for it from one of the many rear end manufacturers. just call or look around for a used one. you could also use a mustang 8.8 rear end as they are very strong and good rears, but it would take a little fabrication to do that. either option would hold up to plenty of abuse and provide lots and lots of choices for different gear ratios.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The explorer 8.8 rear ends are supposed to be close drop-ins, Versitles/Granada V-8's had 9" rears that are drop in. Don't think there are any direct GM rear ends with the exception of the 64-7 and up 10" 5 lugs. The rear end will hold up fine if you don't beat the crap out of it.

Typically, the standard rear end gear is a 3.08.

Also, Maverick Grabbers have a 8" ford rear end with 3.50 gears, that is a direct drop in.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll probably get flamed for this because everybody hates 10 bolts...but I just did the same conversion on a '63 Nova so I'll chime in. I found a complete 5-lug 10 bolt from a '65 wagon for $50 then had it blasted, painted, seals, bearings, fluids. Probably had $350 into the whole thing. It was direct bolt in and holds up fine to the mild 327 in the car. Like ssduane said it will hold up if you don't try to kill it. I got lucky and the donor rear end was 3.42. You can also sell your complete drop out rear for a couple hundred bucks. I've seen 3 or 4 of the 5 lug Nova rear ends since for a decent price.

Throw this advice out if you are going to put some $$$ into it though and get a built 12 bolt.

Last edited by Leevon; 12-18-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we had a 10 bolt from a 69 camaro in a 64 chevy II but it was slightly wide and we had to use wheels with a deeper offset. Kinda ugly but cheap.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It all depends on what your expectation is for the car.. daily driver, cursising or are you going to beat on it every once in a while.

As stated.. you can live with the 10 bolt rear end and might even put a posi with some mid 3.xx ratio into it.. and with the light weigth of the Nova.. it should hold up just find for a DD or crusier.. and a few burnouts at the local hang out once in a while.. but that is as far as I would take it.

keep us posted.

Quick Reply: What kind of rear end?!?!?!?!?